Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 042:

Chapter Forty Two
The day after the game, Brandon’s parents, brother and I ended up driving to the airport to wish Brandon off and telling him that we’ll see him on Sunday for another game. Brandon and his team were leaving Saturday night after their game against the Capitals and I told him to kick Ovechkin’s ass for me. They boarded their plane and we watched as it flew off.

When we got back to my house, Logan, Brandon’s brother, ran over towards his room, which was the pool room, while his parents sat on the couch. Amanda was in the kitchen with Sam and Mel drinking wine and talking about something. I saw Addison on the floor playing with Sarabi and I smiled. I walked over towards her and then picked her up and hugged her.

“How’s my little Addy?!” I said then kissed her cheek.

She laughed when I acted like I was going to drop her, but the caught her and threw her in the air. When I heard the front door open, I put Addison next to Sarabi again, and I saw Zeus dart from his room towards the stairs.

“Hey buddy!” I heard James say as he was the first to appear and started to rub Zeus’ back.

“Hey guys,” I said and then Scott and Sherry got up from the couch and walked over.

“Hi Alex,” Geno said and then walked into the kitchen and sat on the counter.

Sidney walked over towards me and kissed my cheek, “Hi there.”

“Hi,” I said and smiled towards him.

“So let me get this straight, these guys just walk right in,” Scott said as he sat on the bar stools looking into the kitchen.

“Pretty much,” Geno said and I snorted.

“Do you leave the door unlocked?” Scott asked.

“Depends what time of day it is. If it’s night no, they have a key,” I said and he nodded his head. He was only asking this, because he was a police officer in Texas and I figured he was just trying to make sure I was safe, “Oh, guys, these are my cousins, Scott and Sherry, they’re Brandon’s parents,” I said while pointing towards them and the guys waved, “This is my cousin Amanda,” I walked over towards Addison, “And this is my goddaughter, Addison.”

“Cousins! These are some of my teammates, James Neal, Evgeni Malkin, but we all just call him Geno, and this Sidney Crosby.”

All the ‘nice to meet you’ were said and we Sherry was asking about yesterday’s game and some of the things she saw.

“I mean I know a little from watching Brandon’s games, but there are some things that confuse me.”

“Ok, what your questions, you have four players in the room, I think we can do this,” I teased and she smiled.

“What is icing? I mean I thought it was when another player like shoots ice onto the other person with their skates.”

“No,” I said and laughed a little, because that would make sense if that’s what it was. I explained what icing was and she was a little confused, so I ended up drawing a diagram and she understood.

“Whoa!” Logan said as he came out and saw the boys here. There was a smile on his face and he looked over towards me. The boy was fifteen and he wasn’t really happy that he was away from his friends, but was happy to be out of school, “You’re hockey players!”

I laughed and then hopped up onto the counter next to Geno, “Well you know Logan, I am a hockey player and these are my teammates.”

“So cool!” he said and his parents smiled. I introduced Logan to the boys and Logan walked over toward me and hugged me, “So cool!”

We laughed and then Geno hopped off of the counter and looked at Logan and then pulled me off of the counter and stood me next to Logan, “Look at this!”

“Shut up! I know, he’s taller than me!” I said and it was true. I was almost ten years older than Logan, and he was taller than me.

Everyone was laughing and I smacked Geno’s shoulder and then hopped back onto the counter.

“So when do you leave for Toronto?” Amanda asked.

“Tomorrow morning, we need to be at the airport by six,” I said and the guys nodded their heads.

I heard the front door open and then heard my name called. Marc along with his wife Veronique, Kris Letang, Dustin Jeffrey, and Eric Tangradi walked into my kitchen and I smiled towards them.

“Veronique!” I said and then walked over towards her and hugged her, “How are you?”

“I’m fine,” she said with a smile on her face.

“What? No love for us?” Kris teased and I laughed.

“I see you guys like every day, her I don’t!”

I introduced the rest of the boys to everyone else and Logan looked like he was like in heaven because he was surrounded by eight professional hockey players.

“So Logan, I heard you started to play hockey too!” I said and Logan nodded his head, “You like it.”

“Yeah, it’s awesome; our team’s not doing too well though.”

I laughed and ruffed his hair, “So you gunna follow in your brother and my footsteps?”

“I’m going to try,” he said and I hugged his head.

“Maybe I’ll take you down to the rink later and we’ll work on some moves.”

“Awesome!” he said and I smiled and everyone laughed, “Can we go now?”

I looked at him and then looked at the time to see that it was only three in the afternoon, I looked at Sidney and he nodded his head, “Sure, go get something warmer on though.”

“Can you guys come?” Logan asked the guys and they all smirked and nodded their heads, “AWESOME!!!”

“I think you like made this boy’s year,” Kris said and I laughed nodded my head.

We ended up making this a family trip, and had to take all the cars just to fit everyone. Although some of the guys had to go back to their places to get their practice gear, fifteen people walked into the practice rink and the boys and I climbed under the fence and walked into the locker room. Veroinque, Sam, Mel, Amanda, Addison, Scott and Sherry ended up taking a seat on the benches in the stands and waited for us to come out.

We changed into our skates and practice gear after I found some skates for Logan and a stick that would work for him. When we skated onto the ice we skated around and Marc went over towards the net. Kris brought out a bag of pucks and Logan just had this excited look on his face.

We asked him to show us what he knew and to try and score against Marc. He did as I asked and tried to score but Marc of course blocked it, like I knew he would. Geno and Sidney skated over towards him and showed him other ways to hold his stick when he was going to score a goal.
The time we spent there was giving Logan some pointers and then we ended up having a little game, and asking Marc to go easy on him and let some of the pucks slip by him.

After spending time on the ice, all of us went out for dinner and then the guys left and my family and I headed home. Sherry showed me her camera and showed the pictures that she took when we were practicing, and then right before we left, we all gathered together and took a picture with Logan. He was the happiest kid in the world at that moment and that made me happy that I could do that for my cousin.