Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 045:

Chapter Forty Five
“You doing all right?” Brandon asked as I we stood in the center of the ice, “You don’t seem your excited self.”

“My mind’s not here today, sorry.”

“Well get it here, we at least want a fight when we beat you,” he said and I smirked and we shook hands and went back towards our own teams.

I avoided Sidney when I got to the rink and didn’t talk to him when we were changing into our gear. I didn’t skate near him during warm up, and I was talking to him during our last locker room check before the game started. Geno and James weren’t asking me what was wrong, but they figured it wasn’t good if I wasn’t in my usual peppy mood.

When it was time for the game to start, I was part of the first line, along with Sidney, Kunitz, Orpik and Letang. Sidney faced off against #37 Patrice Bergeron and won, the puck was passed to Kunitz, and the game had begun.

-Sidney-
I knew that Alex was angry with me, but I didn’t think that she would full out ignore me. Coach was using her on the ice a lot at this game and I noticed that she was playing better than the other day. I felt someone tap my shoulder and saw that it was Kunitz.

“What the hell did Alex eat this morning? She’s kicking ass today,” he said and I nodded my head.

I looked over towards Geno and he sighed. Coach tapped my shoulder and I jumped over the wall to switched spots with Dustin as he came off of the ice. I skated over towards James who had the puck and was trying to find someone to pass it to. I went to get it, but Lucic cut in and stole the puck. I growled and then saw Alex fly by and steal the puck right off of him again. She shot the puck down towards the Bruins side and we all headed down there, trying to get the crowd away from Fleury.

I heard a whistle blow and then saw that there was a penalty called against the Bruins for interference. I looked over towards Alex to see that she scooped up the puck and threw it to the ref who was heading towards the left face-off circle down by the Bruins. Orpik was going to face off and I stood next to Brandon.

“Crosby,” he whispered and I looked over towards him, “Man you have to listen, Lucic’s planning something against Alex. You have to get to her and tell her to be careful. They put a bounty on her head.”

My eyes widened and I nodded my head and the ref dropped the puck. Putting a bounty on someone’s head was never good, giving someone a concussion could be worth a grand, broken bones maybe five grand, and it gets worse from there. I had to warn Alex somehow.

Luckily the first period ended with the score being zero to zero. We headed off the ice and I grabbed Alex’s arm and she looked at me.

“Just listen, Brandon told me-“

“You talked to Brandon?”

“Shut up Alex and listen to me! Lucic put a bounty on your head, you shouldn’t be on the ice anymore tonight.”

“Whatever Sidney,” she said and then started to skate away.

I caught up with her and skated next to her, “I’m being serious Alex. As your Captain, I’m telling you the truth.”

She looked at me and then she sighed, “I knew that he would.”

“You knew?!” I asked surprised.

“Brandon told me the last game to watch myself, so I figured that he would.”

“Alex, you need to tell Coach!”

“Sidney stop treating me like I’m a child! I’m able to take care of myself. Don’t you think that when I started playing this sport that I knew that I was putting myself at risk for being hurt?!”

“Alex! This is a bounty! This is serious!”

“I’ll handle this on my own, Sidney,” she said and then headed back towards the locker room.

I growled and then followed her into the locker room and debated in my head whether or not I should tell Coach.

-Alex-
The second period had started and things were starting to get rough. I was getting boarded a lot and then as I was skating down the sides of the ice with the puck when #33 Zdeno Chara cut in front of me and bent over. I cursed as I couldn’t stop and I collided with him and he stood up and flipped me over. My back landed hard onto the ice and the fall took my breath away and I groaned in pain. I heard the crowd roaring with anger and felt Geno and Dupuis next to me.

“Alex, you all right?”

“Yeah,” I said as I slowly got up and continued going.

When they were heading back down towards our net, Coach called me off of the ice and traded me for James.

“You ok?” Doc asked and I nodded my head.

I grabbed a bottle of water and squirted it into my mouth and then wiped my protector off. I was out of breath, but I wanted to win this game. I groaned when the Bruins scored a goal against Fleury and bringing the score to one to zero. We then cheered for about three minutes later, Dupuis scored with the assistance of Geno and Kunitz, making the game tied. The buzzard rang and we all headed into the locker room.

That break felt like it went by so fast I barely had any time to come up with a plan. I skated back out onto the ice and then stood next to Brandon as the face-off was going to happen between Geno and Lucic. Lucic won the face off and then skated down the ice towards Marc. I skated in front of Lucic to try and steal the puck, but he shot it and I felt the puck collide with my cheek, my head shot to the side and I fell to the ice. I looked down onto the ice to see that there was blood and I found that my lip was busted. I heard Marc calling name and then felt people coming to my side. My head was spinning and I was trying to get my vision straight. When I finally felt well enough, I stood up and Doc helped me skate off the ice and had me go to the locker room.

He told me that I would be all right if I sat the rest of the game out. I told him that I couldn’t and he looked at me like I was crazy.

“Doc I can’t! I have to show these assholes that I’m not afraid of them and that I can take everything that they throw at me!”

Doc sighed and shook his head, “You’re a tough young woman, Alex.”

I was cleared to go and I quickly went back out to the ice. There were five minutes left in the period and the score was still tied. Coach didn’t play me for the rest of the period, and we went to overtime. I didn’t know if we would be able to make a score in overtime.

‘…Maybe if we hold them off in overtime, we can win in a shootout…’ I thought as I watched the boys skate back and forth in the overtime period.

“Alex, are you cleared?” Coach asked and I nodded my head and he tapped me to go.

I replaced Dupuis and then went onto the ice with Adams, Orpik, Engelland and Cooke. I faced off against Brandon and won the put and then passed it to Cooke. As we headed down towards the Bruins goaltender, I saw Adams be traded out for Sidney and then Cooke passed Sidney the puck and he tried to shoot it, but it was blocked and was covered.

I sighed as we were going for another face-off. Sidney faced-off against Brandon and won and we tried to go for a goal again, but as Sidney was passing it to Engelland, Brandon stole the puck and headed down to Marc. I cursed and chased after him because I wasn’t going to let him win this game.

-Sidney-
Alex chased after her cousin to stop him from getting a goal, because as fast as he was going, he actually might get it. I saw #18 Nathan Horton skating towards Alex, my eyes widened at the thought of her being hurt again. I called her name and she looked to her side just in time to duck and for Horton to hit the boards instead of her, but he collapsed right on top of her. The whistle was blown and I saw Alex struggling to get free from underneath Horton.

The Bruins doctor ran over because the guy wasn’t moving. Alex managed to get free and then turned around to look at the guy. I watched as she took off his helmet and turned him over to see that this kid was knocked out cold. The doctor was at his side and I skated over towards Alex and grabbed her arm telling her to move because they were going to cart this kid off of the ice.

Brandon skated over towards Alex and I and looked at Horton, “Is he all right?”

“He’s knocked out cold,” she said and Brandon sighed.

“He was one of the ones that said they would be in on the bounty.”

“I’m not afraid of them Brandon, I hope they realize that by now,” she said and I looked over towards her to see that she was glaring at Lucic when she said that.

Horton was carted off of the ice and the game had started.

-Alex-
I had the puck and was racing down the ice. I knew that Lucic was hot on my heels, but I was praying that my legs would hold in just a little bit longer. I passed the puck to Letang and he shot the puck, but it bounced off of the goaltender and I caught the puck and shot it back and scored. Penguins won!

My celebration was cut short when I didn’t expect that to happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Let me know what you think of the story so far!!! =)