Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 046:

Chapter forty six
-Sidney-
You ever get that feeling when you see the person you love get brutally hurt? Well I have, and I felt sick and shocked that it happened. No one on my team could move, they were too shocked at what they had seen, even the fans were quiet. The only thing we heard was Brandon yell out his cousin’s name and then rush over towards her.

After Alex scored the goal winning the game, Milan Lucic came at her and pushed her so hard into the boards that the glass broke and she was flipped over. I think even Lucic’s own teammates were shocked that he had down this because they were holding him back when Brandon went to see if his cousin was all right.

“DOC!!!” Brandon yelled and I got my brain to make my body move and I skated over to the hole in the glass.

The fans were asked to move to give her some space because she had practically fallen on top of them. I saw that the fans that sat in the splash zone were bleeding from where the glass had fallen on them and cut them. I leaned over the board and saw that Alex was lying on the concrete on her stomach and she wasn’t moving, she wasn’t even showing any signs that she was all right. Brandon and I kept on called her name, but she wasn’t moving.

One of the fans came over towards Alex, the girl looked like she was only sixteen, she knelt down to look at Alex’s face and then told us that her eyes were closed. I gulped and then looked to see that both the Penguins and the Bruins doctors rushed to the board. They climbed over the glass carefully and looked at her.

“Sid!”

I turned around to see my team looking at me wanting answers on Alex’s condition. I shook my head and they all had a scared look on their face and then anger washed over their faces. I looked back towards Alex to see that Doc had taken her helmet off and I say that her head was bleeding. My eyes closed and I looked down at the ice and took a deep breath.

“How does she look?” Coach asked as he walked over.

“She’s not good, Coach, I’m pretty sure that she hit head hard, so she might have a concussion,” Doc said and I sighed knowing how that was.

Doc was holding a towel to Alex’s head because she was bleeding and they didn’t want to move her because she was lying at an awkward angle and there was really no room. I skated back over towards my team and saw told them what Doc said and I heard a few of them growl.

“I wanna tear that kid apart!” Pascal Dupuis said and I nodded my head.

-Alex-
I heard many voices around me and it took me a moment to remember what happened. My eyes fluttered opened and I looked to see Doc over me holding a towel to my head. He was trying to talk to me but I couldn’t hear what he was saying. I looked around to see that Coach was here and that Brandon was leaning over the boards looking at me.

I tried to sit up, but Doc pushed me down and then I saw Sidney appear. He had a smile on his face when he saw me and then turned around, probably to tell the team that I was awake. I tried to sit up again and this time Doc helped me stand up and I heard clapping. I looked around to see that the fans were clapping because they were happy to see that I was all right. I saw the damage that was done and I could feel some of the broken glass in my jersey. I climbed through the new hole with the help of Doc, Coach, Brandon and Sidney.

Brandon threw one of my arms around his neck and was helping me stay up, while Sidney had the other arm. I was kind of slumped against them and tried to keep my head up, but when I heard that laugh, my head shot up and I saw him, Milan Lucic. I felt like a bull being drawn in by the red. I growled and then got out of Sidney and Brandon’s grasps and charged at him.

I’ve never been one for violence, but this guy, I think I hated him more than Ovechkin, and that’s saying something. At least Ovechkin just mentally gets to you; this prick actually wants to physically harm you. My mind was racing, and I didn’t know what was going to happen, I completely blacked out.

-Sidney-
“Holy Shit!” my team said as they watched Alex.

Alex broke out of Brandon and my grasp and she charged at Lucic. She clenched her fist together and then threw it at Lucic’s face. Alex’s fist went right through Lucic’s protector and everyone was shocked. Lucic was on the ground and Alex was on top of him. My team and I skated over towards her to get her off of him when we saw some of the Bruins we grabbing her. There was a pushing match that was quickly broken up by the refs. Geno and Dupuis grabbed Alex and pulled her off of Lucic and we headed to the locker rooms.

The sat her on the bench and she slowly took her gear off and we were all watching her to make sure that she was all right. When everything was off and she was only left in her shorts and long sleeve under armor, she held her head and I saw that she was breathing heavily.

I bent down to look at her and I felt everyone’s eyes on my back, “Hey, hey, you good?”

“Yeah, my head just hurts,” she said and I nodded my head, “Should have listened to you.”

“That doesn’t matter, you did it, you beat them.”

“I’m going to take a shower,” she said and I nodded my head and stood up and watched as she stood up but then her legs gave out on her and she started to fall.

I caught her and I heard everyone stand up and run over as I gently laid her on the ground, having her lean up against me.

“Go get Doc!” I yelled and heard someone leave, “Alex! Alex! Can you hear me? Alex!”

-Brandon-
I was sitting in the locker room listening to Coach tear Lucic a new one. He wasn’t happy over the stunt he pulled and neither was I, he almost killed my cousin, I don’t care if he’s my teammate, Alex is my family.

“Get your asses to the bus!” Coach yelled and we grabbed our bags and one by one we left.

I was walking down the hall next to my teammate #11 Gregory Campbell, he was the only one really that I would call my friend and he understood why I wanted to kill Lucic, when we saw EMTs rush past us and I was wondering what was happening when it hit me.

“Alex!” I said and looked at Campbell.

“Go,” he said and then took my bag as I darted down the hall.

“Crosby!” I yelled when I saw him in the hall. He looked at me as I saw the EMTs come up pulling Alex on a stretcher. I wanted to go after her, but Crosby held me back, “She’s family!”

“They won’t let you! Come on, we’ll go in my car,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Sid go! We’ll meet you there!” I heard someone yell and then keys be thrown towards Crosby.

We headed outside and went towards his car and followed the ambulance to the hospital.

“You know I know about the two of you,” I told him as we both sat next to each other in the emergency room waiting area.

“I don’t know what we are now,” he said and then rubbed his head.

“You obviously love her, who care what the league says,” I said and he nodded his head and then rubbed his face.

“Brandon!”

My head shot up and I saw my family and stood up to greet them.

“How is she?” my mom asked and I shook my head.

“I don’t know, the doctor hasn’t come out yet,” I answered and then sighed. I looked over and saw Alex’s Dad looking worried, “Uncle Randy, I’m sorry, I should have done-“

“Son it’s all right, I understand the sport, there’s nothing you could have done,” he said and I sighed because I just didn’t believe that.

“Sidney! Is she all right?!” I looked over and saw Alex’s friends and some of his teammates show up.

“We don’t know anything yet,” he said and I looked over towards Alex’s friends Sam and Mel.

-Sidney-
One by one the team came and we all sat in the waiting room. It was getting frustrated and Geno was yelling at me because I was pacing. The doctor finally came out and called Alex’s name looking for the family and everyone stood up. The doctor looked a little taken back but then recovered and cleared his throat.

“Um, is there immediate family here?” the doctor asked and Alex’s Dad stood up and walked over.

“I’m her father.”

“All right, will you come with me,” the doctor said and her father nodded his head and they walked through the double doors and I growled with frustration.

“Calm down man, she’s gunna be all right,” Geno said as he had his arm wrapped around Mel and her head was on his shoulder.

“I hate all of this waiting!”

“I know, we do too,” Geno said and I sat back down next to Brandon who was tapping his foot.

I watched as Sam slammed her hand down on Brandon’s knee to make him stop tapping and I snorted and patted his back understanding his feelings.

‘…This blows…’