Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 050:

Chapter Fifty
"Don't you think I don't know that!" I yelled looking at the men on the screen, "I'm well aware of the risks that I take every time I get out on that ice!"

"Ms. Conners, I'm sorry, the league has made their decision."

"No, you don't understand. For almost twenty years I've pushed my body to play my favorite sport.
The one time I get hurt, you say it's too much for me. I appreciate the concern, but no, I don't want it, I want to play my sport."

"We understand how you feel-"

"Do you? Do you really know how I feel?" I asked sounding annoyed, "Because I can guarantee that I have players that would back me up and tell you that I should be able to play the sport I was born to play!"

"We'll discuss your future and get back to you," the one man said and I sighed and nodded my head, "That'll be all, Ms. Conners."

The screen went black and I sighed and held my head and took a deep breath. I walked out of the room and down the hall to see my team waiting in the waiting room. They stood up when they saw me and I sighed, "I don't know yet."

"We heard you yelling," Cooke said and I snorted and shook my head as Sidney came over towards me and hugged me.

"It'll be all right," he said and I nodded my head.

It was the day after the boys had come home from their weeklong losing trip and a day after I made my presence known. I had a video conference with four of the members on the NHL board and made my thoughts known on what I thought about them wanting to cut me from the team.
The boys had a few days off, but tomorrow they had a home game against the Montreal Canadiens. I would be at the game, but I would be in one of the box seats with my girls, because I wasn't allowed.

I started to head home to Mel and Sam alone, because the boys had practice and I don't want to be there because it just made me want to be out on the ice with them. I was frustrated and upset because I didn't understand why this was happening to me.

"Alex?"

"Yup."

"How'd it go?"

I walked up the stairs to see Sam sitting at the counter typing on her laptop. I sighed and then stood across from her and then leaned onto the counter, "I have no idea."

"Well that's stupid if they don't take you!" she said and I looked to see that she didn't even look up from her computer.

"What are you working on?"

"An article for work, it's due tomorrow and I want to get it finished."

"About what?"

"You," I looked at her confused and then she looked up and smiled, "I know your fans wanted to know how your condition was, so for the past two weeks I've been typing up and article. Your fans even started a petition to give to the league to get you back. You really inspired a lot of people and are well liked."

I smiled and then walked around the counter and hugged her, "Thank Sam."

"Hey, I'm your best friend, that's what I do!"

-Sidney-
We had just finished practice and were changing when Coach walked in and looked around.

"What's up Coach?" Eric Tangradi asked as he threw his shirt on.

"Where's Conners?"

"Home," I said.

"Why?"

"Because you said she can't be here," I said and he smirked.

"Well tell her to get her ass here and gear up!" he said and all of our eyes widened and we cheered knowing that the league had decided not to cut her.

I grabbed my phone and dialed her number and placed the phone to my ear. The boys were still cheering and I was trying to get them to quiet down.

"Hello?"

"Alex!"

"Yeah?"

"Some to the rink!" I said and she sighed.

"I don't want to, Sid."

"Trust me!"

"Why are the guys- Oh my god! Really?"

"Yup!" I said with a huge smile on my face.

"I'm on my way!" she said and I hung up the phone and smiled towards my team.

"She's on her way!" I said and everyone was excited.

"So does that mean that we have to change back into our gear?" Cooke asked and I shrugged my shoulders, "Because I have to pick my kid up."

"I'm sure Coach just wants to warm Alex up. You guys can head home," I said and some nodded their heads.

"Yeah, I told the wife that I would be home by one, if I'm late she'll ring my neck," Adams said and we laughed.

When Alex finally got to the rink, the guys congratulated her and then about half the team left because they had things to do. Alex changed into her practice gear and then she, Geno, James, Eric, Kris, Dustin, Marc, Brandon Sutter, Tanner Glass and I all skated onto the ice and then Coach came out.

"We're gunna start off slow, and then work our way up," Coach said and Alex nodded her head and we watched as she did the drills and then by the end we decided to have a small game.

-Alex-
It felt so good to be on the ice again, I was really happy that the league decided against cutting me. Once the practice and small game was over, I went home to call Brandon and tell him the good news, he was happy for me and then told me that he would see me on Friday when the Penguins played against the Bruins again, but in Boston.

When I finished talking to Brandon, I decided to call Steph up because I haven't talked to her in a long time and I wanted to see her. I asked her if she wanted to go to the game on Friday, since she lived in Boston and she agreed. Sam and Mel were coming and then when some of the boys came over later on, Marc had brought Vero and she said that she was going as well. I knew Coach wasn't going to play me that game, so I would be in the box for that game as well.

Everyone was squished together on the couch, since Sidney and I didn't have to hide our feelings from the team anymore, I wasn't afraid to be affectionate around him. We were all watching some horror movie and it went, Dustin and James on one side of the couch, Sam in the corner in-between James and Mel with her legs up on James' lap. Zeus was laying in-between Dustin and James and refused to get down. Then Mel, Geno, Marc, Vero and Sidney sat on the longer side of the couch. I was stuffed in the corner like Sam, with my feet propped up onto Kris' lap and leaning against Sidney while Kris and Eric took final side of the couch. Sam's cocker spaniel, Nina, was sitting on her lap and Sarabi was laying on the floor in front of us snoring.

"This isn't even scary!" Mel said and I sighed and nodded my head.

"Just boring."

"Well there's nothing else to watch!" Geno said and I snorted.

"Then go into the pool room and pick a movie to put in. I'm pretty sure I have some scary movies in there too," I said and then Dustin and Eric jumped up and ran over towards the room. Kris wanted to go with them, but I wasn't going to let him move because my legs were nice and comfy on his as my arms were wrapped around Sidney's chest and his was propped onto my knee.

"Found one! It's really not that scary either, but it's a good movie," Eric said and then walked over towards the DVD player.

"What did you pick?" I asked and Eric held up the box, "Cabin in the Woods, should have known."

The guys laughed and I shook my head and heard my doorbell ring just as the previews started. I tried to get up, but being in the corner, I couldn't find my footing.

"I'll get it," Eric said as I nodded my head and he headed past the couch, into the kitchen and down the stairs.

"Did you guys order a pizza?" I asked because it was kind of late for someone to ring the doorbell. They all shook their heads and I sighed.

"Alex!" Eric called and then heard him talking to someone who we heard coming up the stairs, "Hey, I don't think- Hey! Are you listening to me."

We all turned around and my eyes widened, "Oh you have to be joking!"