Sequel: Captain of My Life

Oh Captain, My Captain

Oh Captain, My Captain (Sidney Crosby) 082:

Chapter Eighty Two
It’s been a week since the Bruins won Wipeout and the fifty thousand dollars to their choice of charity. Everyone knows that Lucic and I had a moment on the platform and they keep bugging me to tell them what he said, but it was none of their business and I got so angry every time I thought of Lucic that I nearly bite the guys’ heads off when they ask. Brandon even been calling me to find out what he said because I guess his guys were asking Lucic, but he wasn’t talking either.
The only people I told were Mel and Sam and they didn’t take it as badly as I thought they would. When I told them, they both were like ‘So he called you baby, who cares’. I know to some it’s no big deal, but when a man sent you through the glass, put me in the hospital and almost killed my career, excuse me when I think it’s a big deal for him to call me ‘baby’, especially when I have Sidney too.
Right now we had just gotten out of a hard three hour practice and were showering and getting changed, because tonight we wanted to go out together as a team. I had changed into some dark wash skinny jeans, a bright purple flowing halter top and some black ankle boots. I wore the necklace that Sidney had gotten me for Christmas and then threw some silver bangles on and my diamond studs that were my dad’s mom.
I got wolf whistles as I walked out of the shower room drying my hair with my towel. I rolled my eyes and then walked over towards my bag and grabbed my hair dryer and walked over towards the mirror. I dried my hair and looked in the mirror to see that Sidney was smirking towards me. I smiled and then finished my hair and straightened it.
“You ready?” Sidney asked and I threw everything into my bag and then nodded my head, “All right, we’re gunna head over towards the pub now.”
“All right,” I said and then heard the door opened to show Coach walking in.
“Announcement!”
‘…The last time he said that we had to go to freaking California…’ I thought as I watched as everyone looked at Coach.
“If I have to leave Pittsburgh again, I’ll pass, Coach,” Kris said and I nodded my head.
“Well you can’t back out of this, and you don’t have to leave Pittsburgh,” he said and I groaned and sat on the bench.
“What is it?” Sidney asked and I sighed.
“We’re hosting an event for children with disabilities,” he said and I perked up because I liked stuff like that, “Two days from now, a few kids will come and we’ll show them how to skate and stuff like that.”
“That’ll be cool,” I said and Coach looked at me.
“Except you, Alex.”
“What?! Why?!” I asked confused.
“You’re going to New York.”
“Why?”
“Interview on the Good Morning Show and Kelly and Michael show,” he said and I groaned and leaned back on the bench.
“No more interviews!” I said and I looked up to see Sidney looking down at me, “This is your fault!”
“Me? Why?” he asked looking all cute and innocent.
“If you never made me do that stupid Ellen interview then I wouldn’t be doing this,” I said and he was about to say something but then shut up and looked away, “Yeah, that’s what I thought.”
“Oh that reminds me, you’re going back on Ellen,” he said and I sat up and looked again, “Both you and Crosby.”
“What?!” we both said and then I threw back my head and groaned.
“Why am I so popular all of a sudden?” I asked and groaned my head.
“At least it’s not The View,” Marc said and I shook my head.
“Oh yeah-“
“Nope! Not happening!” I yelled while pointing towards Coach, “If you say that I’m on the view,” I said and then paused to think about what I would threaten but couldn’t so I just sighed, “Come back to me later, I’m thinking.”
“Dork,” Kris snorted and I waved him off.
“When are all of these things?” I whined while looking at Coach.
“Here,” he said and handed me a paper.
I looked at it and saw that it was a schedule, ‘…Holy shit, think you booked enough stuff for me!...’ I thought as some of the guys crowded around me and looked at the schedule.
“Yo, you get to be on ESPN for an interview!” Kris said while pointing to the October part of the schedule.
“Kris, I haven’t read past August, hold you excitement,” I smirked and patted his hand, ‘…So much shit…’
Between the game, the interviews, and the red carpet and charity events, I’m gunna be one tired girl by the end of the season.
“That’s a lot for one person to handle,” I heard Max mutter and I nodded my head, “Hunger Games,” he whispered and I snorted.
“I’m never watching that movie with you again!” I teased and he laughed.
“Well look here, it says that Kris and Max are going to be at this charity with you,” Marc said while pointing towards the September schedule.
“Say what now?” Kris said and I looked at him.
“You and me boo-boo,” I cooed and then pinched his cheek and the guys laughed.
“Shut up,” he muttered and smirked towards me, “Where’s it at?”
I looked at the schedule and sighed, “L.A.”
“Yes!” Kris said and then I saw him high five Max.
I looked up at Coach and then sighed, “You’re gunna put me with these two children?”
“Everyone has to do it,” Coach said and I saw the guys look at him, “This league wants to change the NHL.”
“Ta what? They’re makin’ us look like a bunch of pussies!” Tanner said and I sighed.
“They don’t care,” Coach said and then rubbed his face, “The league is cracking down on the fighting and injuries. That’s why they had that Wipeout thing, give you guys a chance to connect.”
“Oh yeah, Coach, we connected all right,” I snorted and shook my head, “You put a bunch of competitive people in a competition. What the hell did you expect to happen? We’re all gunna hold hands and sing kom by ya?”
“That’s not what they mean,” he said and then sighed, “After your incident and then when you fought for your right to be on the team, the league decided that they were going to change the NHL.”
“Excuse me?” I asked and looked at him shocked, ‘…They’re changing the rules because of me?...’
“That’s what my meeting was about yesterday.”
“Looks like I need to have another chat with the league,” I growled and clenched my fist.
“Alex-“
“No! This is stupid! They’re making changes for stupid reasons!”
“They want to widen their variety of fans,” Coach said and I snorted.
“You think that some of the fans care that we fight, hell they cheer for when it happens. Hell they even cheer when they get really hurt!”
“Explain,” Coach said and I stood up.
“Away game against the Islanders, Sidney took a puck to the face,” I said and looked back at Sidney to see that he was shocked that I had remembered, “What did the Islander fans do?”
“They cheered,” Kris said and I pointed my hand towards him and nodded my head.
“Exactly,” I said and looked at Coach, “Home game against the Bruins, Nathan Horton went head first into the boards and was knocked out cold! What did ‘our’ fans do?!”
“They cheered,” Marc said and I nodded my head.
“Game against the Hurricanes, Panthers, Canadiens-“
“All right, I get it!” Coach said and I nodded my head making my point.
“If they make a move that’s legal now illegal, not only will the players react to it, but also the fans. If they change the rules now, you lose fans, not gain them,” I said and then looked at Coach and then at the team to see everyone staring at me.
“You’re wrong about one thing, Alex,” I turned around to see Sidney looking at me, “Second home game against the Bruins, we won, but you were thrown through the glass, no one made a sound. There was no cheering from our fans or theirs. No one made a sound and no one moved,” I gulped at the way he spoke of that night and then sighed, “Some illegal moves now should have bigger consequences,” he said while not taking his eyes off of me and then turning his head towards Coach, “Maybe the legal should focus on that instead of worrying about the little things.”