Status: Finished! :D

The Cheap Bouquet

Why Do I Deny The Heart That's Growing Colder?

This day was the only other reason why Anna hadn't gone on tour. She's sure Tony would've comforted her on this day, but if he did that would mean that she'd have to tell him about Cody, Annabella's brother. And she wasn't ready for that. It was the only secret she was still keeping from Tony. And, even though she felt somewhat guilty about keeping it so close, she'd never speak about him. Ever.

Except on this day; August 29th, Cody's birthday.

Anna had always refused to mourn on his death anniversary. She'd much rather get hammered that day, and pass out for hours, until the next day had come and the pain had passed. It was almost a routine.

Despite the rain, Anna sat next to the small grave stone, Cody's name engraved into it. Her legs were pulled up to her chest, her chin resting on her knees. She was shivering, but she didn't even notice. She just sat there, wrapped up in her own thoughts; the way she'd been all day.

"I'm sorry it's raining. I know you hated the rain," she whispered, a small smile finally finding it's way onto her lips. She then closed her eyes, and inhaled slowly. "I wish you were here. You'd tell me which option would be the right thing to do. I miss you helping me with my homework, and telling my not to get to close with anyone yet. But what I really miss is your promises. I miss it every night, when you promised that the next day would be better. And, even when it wasn't, you'd still make the same promise before I went to sleep," she mumbled, her voice barely audible. Tears now fell down her cheeks, but she took no notice.

She didn't feel that it was fair. While she felt she had no reason in life, the person who always told her that life was beautiful ended his own. That didn't make sense to Anna. His reason behind it all was always going to be a mystery. But, then again, maybe it wasn't. maybe he did it for the same reasons she wanted to, but was too afraid to. He had always been much more courageous than Anna, maybe that was why he went through with it. Maybe it was because he was without a father, whereas it didn't bother Anna much. Or maybe it was because Cody had known their father, grew up with him even, before he left. Maybe Anna had said something that upset him. She'd never know.

It seemed that she constantly wondered all of these things. it frustrated her to no end, knowing she'd never have an answer.

"This is stupid, what's the point any ways? I won't use algebra when I'm in a famous band," Anna said, grinning.

Cody nodded. "True. But, for now, you've gotta do it. Just get through it, and then you won't have to worry about it. Now, back to your homework that was supposed to be finished last week. If two times seven is Y, and Y times two is X, what's X?" Watching as Anna began trying to figure out the problem, Cody watched in contentment. He had easily noticed how determined she was in whatever she did. But algebra was always a different story.

Sighing, Anna threw her head back in anguish. "It's twenty-eight," she answered, closing her eyes in frustration.

"Good. Now, if X is twenty eight, than what's X times four?"

"One twelve. If eighth grade isn't any easier than seventh, I'm going to murder my teachers," she said, laughing.

Cody shook his head, but laughed all the same. As Anna began writing the answer down, she asked an odd question, one that Cody wasn't sure how to answer.

"What if you can't find the answer of an important question?"

Annabella hadn't meant for it to have any value to it, but it did to Cody, even if she hadn't noticed it. He forced a smile. "Everything has a reason, and in front of every reason is and answer, Bella. It might take a long time to figure it out, but you will. I have faith in you," he said, leaning over and kissing her forehead lightly.

Scrunching up her nose in confusion, Anna shrugged. "Okay then, now we can move on to number thirteen."


The memory flooded Anna's mind, and more tears came to her eyes. Everything has a reason.

She could hear footsteps coming up behind her, but Anna didn't turn around to see who it was. She didn't really care. It was probably just someone else visiting a relative who had been buried near by.

But, when the footsteps stopped just behind her, a coat was draped over her shoulders, and she instantly knew who it was. His scent was the give-away.

Zak sat down next to Anna, and wrapped his arms around the cold, fragile girl. Tears of his own fell. He rarely cried, but Cody had been the older kid he looked up to in school.

Anna didn't say anything. She just moved closer to Zak, and laid her head on his shoulder, embracing his warmth as he laid his cheek against her wet hair.

Sometimes the warmth is a good thing, even if it's in the form of ice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, this was by far the most difficult chapter I've ever written in my entire life, and probably the hardest I'll ever have to write. I'm never ever doing it again ohmygod. I'm still crying.
Anyways, sorry for the typos. I can't bring myself to re-read it.
Comment & recommend & subscribe
Stay Beautiful xxx