Her Darkest Light

Her Darkest Light

Pink.

Gold.

Red.

A mass of colours swirling behind her closed eyelids was what finally woke the girl, as the midday sun crept through the gap between the breeze-ruffled curtains.

This soft glow was the only witness to the sleepy smile that stole over her face in the seconds before her eyes fluttered open, a fragment of a memory lighting up her face alongside the beam of sunshine that danced over it.

The smile remained as the girl stretched and rose from the bed, tugging the curtains closed before returning to her cosy tangle of blankets and pillows – the cheerful daylight would only dampen her mood, and fade the memories from the night before.

This time, they had stayed up until dawn – hours spent just talking, before the rosy stain of the rising sun coloured the horizon, and the need to sleep became overwhelming.

Reaching for her phone, the girl’s good spirits faltered for just a moment, frowning as she wondered when she had missed the message tone. The pause was brief, however; the timestamp on the message showed a time only minutes after she had fallen asleep, mid-conversation, the night before.

“ Looks like you need some sleep. We’ll talk tomorrow.<3 ”

The simple message was enough to return a grin to the girl’s face - already she was counting the hours until night would fall again, the hours until their nocturnal conversation would continue.

For this girl, the light that brightened the days of most people had little effect; the light that had her looking forward to each day only started to shine through the darkness of night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, this isn’t a great piece, and it’s so short, but I’m working on just getting back into writing - to do that I’ve decided that, throughout this writing challenge, I’ll go with whatever idea feels right, and not spend forever obsessing over the details.
So you get what you get, and this is it - with an extra thanks to Super.Midget for telling me I should post this :D