Status: In progress

My Immortal

chapter 4

The ring tone of her phone slowly but surely penetrated through her sleep. Far too soon the blue eyes, the warm hands and the delicious cologne faded from her dream and the harsh sunlight combined with the annoyingly chipper pop song dragged her to consciousness.

“Damn it!” Honor growled, scrunching her eyes closed at the bright morning and desperately trying to cling to the last remnants of her dream that had left her feeling soft and warm and content.

The phone kept ringing however, not at all deterred by her outburst. Sighing heavily she turned on her side and grabbed at the offending device on her night stand, pressing the button to connect the call.

“Hallo?” she half growled, falling onto her back once more and staring at the ceiling, the fleeting thought of giving the place a coat of paint floating across her thoughts.

“H...Ho...Honor?” a familiar voice drifted through the phone, immediately causing her to sit up, her sheets pooling at her waist.

“Doc? Doc! Is everything okay” she asked, completely awake and fighting against the slight concern that was pushing its way into her mind. Doc hardly ever called her, even though she had given the man her number years before, just in case he ever needed her.

“Everything is f...fi..fine lass. Don't ye w..worry none. I just need a f...fa..favour” Doc soothed, and Honor let out a sigh of relief.

“Of course Doc, anything for my favourite bar tender”

“Git on with ye H...Ho..Honor,” Doc replied. Honor could almost hear the blush in his voice, “Is ye... yer boyfriend aroun' H..Ho...Honor?” he continued quietly, as though he didn't want the man in question to here him.

Honor glanced around, although the fact that she was alone in bed was almost proof enough that her boyfriend was not in the apartment.

“No, he's not Doc. I'm not sure he even stayed here last night. I fell asleep soon after I came home from the bar” she told him honestly. She hadn't seen Brett in a couple of days and, truth be told, she wasn't overly worried about it. They hardly talked any more and he seemed more concerned with her being by his side then anything that may have mattered to her.

“Ah... th... that's good lass, because I need ye to head down to the ho.. hospital for me”

“Hospital? Doc! You told me everything was alright...”

“It is lass... e..everything is fine. I got a c...call from the b...boys. Th... they need someone to m...m...mee...get down there. FUCK!... ASS!”

“The boys?” Honor inquired, not sure who Doc was referring to.

“C...Connor and M...Murphy” Doc told her. Honor felt herself still at the mention of those names. Murphy. The blue eyed Irishman from the bar.
“Are they alright Doc?” Honor prodded. The thought of the charismatic man hurt pulled at her heartstrings. She didn't know him, but he had made her smile so easily the night before that she wouldn't wish any harm to befall him.

“Th... they're okay Honor. T... they just got into a bit 'o a scrap is all. They need a lift to the p...police station”

“Doc, this doesn't sound like a bit 'o a scrap,” she scolded, mocking his accent slightly. She heard him scoff at her attempts.

“Trust m.. me, t...they're fine.”

Honor sighed. It didn't seem as though she was going to get any more information out of the man.

“Alright Doc, I'll shower and get down there straight away. Don't you worry none” She told him.

“Th... thank ye lass. Y... yer a good girl.”

Honor laughed, “Try telling my mother that Doc. I'll give you a call later to let you know how I got on”

“Ye be s...su...sure to do that Honor”

She confirmed that she would before ending the call and tossing her phone onto the blankets and dragging a hand through her long, sleep messed hair. Although she was more than a little curious about why she had to go to the hospital and the police station, she couldn't quite quiet the small part of her that was jumping up and down at the thought of seeing Murphy again, no matter what the circumstances.

**

Honor walked through the halls of the hospital, unsure of where to start looking for the two brothers. She was hesitant to ask the reception for assistance – having no information other than that she was looking for a Connor and a Murphy.

She tugged at her old T-shirt in frustration before glancing down the hallway in front of her and stopping short. The two men in question were a little further down the hallway. Conner was standing with a young boy's hands in his own, while Murphy sat beside the boy on a hospital bed.

“Easier than I thought” Honor muttered to herself as she watched them play with the boy, causing him to smile and laugh. A smile formed on her own face at the sight, before she noticed the blood staining the robes the brothers were wearing. The jarring visual caused her to start moving again and the boys noticed her just before she reached them.

Murphy looked up, recognition lighting his eyes almost immediately. He smiled her way and lightly tapped Connor on the shoulder, causing him to turn his gaze on her as well.

“Well what do ye know, me dear brother must be able ta kiss if you followed us all the way down here” Connor quipped, his eyes lighting up with amusement. Before Honor could form a witty retort, Murphy reached out and delivered a quick slap up the side of his brother's head.

“il mio angelo custode, what brings ye here? Are ye alright?” Murphy asked her, ignoring the way Connor was rubbing his head, and pushing himself off the bed to stand in front of her.

“I'm fine,” Honor told him, unable to shift her gaze from the blood that covered him. Murphy's gaze followed her own before he looked up at her. He reached out and gently tucked a strand of hair that had escaped from her messy ponytail, behind her ear.

“We're alrigh' lass. Looks worse than it is” he told her, offering a small smile of reassurance. Honor nodded vaguely before her eyes switched to Connor and the heavy bandages that covered both his wrists.

“What happened to you both?” she asked, meeting Connor's gaze, who smiled sheepishly at her before shrugging.

“jus' a little bar fight tha got outta hand is all” he told her. Honor raised an eyebrow, not quite believing his story before she turned to Murphy again.

“I didn't really expect to see you again, but Doc called me. He said you needed a lift to the police station?”

Murphy dropped his gaze slightly and Honor thought she heard a quiet groan escape him.

“tha's right lass, jus' need ta go and clear up a misunderstandin is all. We appreciate ye comin down here” Connor spoke up.

“It's no problem. I'm parked out the front if you're ready to go” both the boys nodded in agreement, so Honor set off the way she had come, only stopping when she realised they weren't following her. She turned to see them arguing softly. She couldn't overhear what was being said, but the argument abruptly ended with Connor slapping Murphy up the head, an action that, Honor was rapidly realising, was a common occurrence between them. She waited as Murphy quickly caught up to her and gently placed a hand at her back to guide her forward. His warm touch launched her back to their meeting the night before and she fought not to blush.

“So, il mio angelo custode,” he started, before Honor interrupted him.

“What does that even mean?” she asked. Murphy graced her with a warm grin before replying.

“My little guardian angel – in Italian”

“You speak Italian?”

“Among other things”

“I'm impressed” Honor admitted, opening the front doors of the hospital and stepping outside, sparing a glance behind them to ensure Connor was still following them. He was moving at a far slower pace as he limped badly, staying close to the wall for support.

“I'm glad ye said that, it might mean this will come out in my favour. Connor pointed out ta me tha I may have been a tad backwards in my approach to ye last night”

Honor laughed, “And?”

“And I was hoping ye would let me fix tha. Let me take ye out?” Murphy continued. He ducked his head a little as he asked, and the shy gesture caused her to grin, her attention momentarily taken from Connor.

“And how do I know you won't try and accost me again MacManus?” Honor teased. Murphy raised his head again, his eyes smiling.

“I promise ye I'll be the perfect gentleman me ma raised me ta be”

Honor looked at him for a moment longer. She could tell he was uncomfortable as his hand came to rub the back of his neck. His gaze never left hers though and she found she couldn't think of a single reason why she wanted to say no.

“Alright MacManus.” she finally told him. She was rewarded with another brilliant grin from him before he turned back to watch his brother hobble through the doors.

“Shouldn't we help? He can hardly walk” Honor asked.

“Aye, otherwise we'll ne're get outta here” Murphy agreed. He quickly made his way back to Connor, slipping one arm around his waist while letting Connor take a tight hold around his shoulders.

“How about tonight?” Murphy continued as they reached her car. This made Honor stop. She had forgotten about Brett. How does that even happen? She wondered briefly until she realised that Murphy was waiting patiently for her response.

“I can't tonight. I have something that needs to be done. How about tomorrow?” she compromised. Murphy smiled and nodded in agreement.

“So ye put me poor sap of a brother outta his misery and agreed to go out with him?” he enquired cheekily as he slid into the back seat of her car.

“I did, Connor. He just went on and on about how he couldn't spend another night with his embarrassing brother and I found I couldn't say no” Honor retorted, smiling at him through the rear-view mirror after she had secured her seatbelt.

“Ah now lass, yer unkind!” Connor huffed, trying to silence Murphy's growing laughter with a punch to the shoulder.

“I am, I am,” Honor agreed, “That's why I think you and I will get along just fine Connor”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone. The great thing about holidays is - I have nothing better to do than write this story - so I hope you enjoy chapter 4!

the flashback chapters are easily my favourite to write, but unfortunately, I wouldn't have any plot (no matter how flimsy it may be) without the current chapters. I'd love to hear what you'd like to see in the flashback chapters though! If I can figure out a way to work them, I'd be happy to.