Duality

three.

Jonathan gripped his cheap paper cup tightly and inwardly cringed as he counted five people joining him in the elevator. The professor took a deep breath and sipped his bittersweet coffee. One more dashing smile for a room full of board members and all the green lights would be lit. As he neared the bottom of his cup, Jonathan could just taste the delicious success of the meeting on his lips. That or the student center finally figured out how to make a decent cup of coffee.

He stepped off the elevator on the fifth floor and tossed a crumpled cup in the trash can. The professor took a deep breath as he made his way down the long hall and adjusted his glasses, pushing them up the bridge of his nose slightly. Jonathan shook out any possibility of jitters and knocked heavily on the conference room door.

“Come in.” A voice bellowed from within.

The professor twisted the knob and stepped into the room, several sets of stern eyes watching his every move. Jonathan took his seat at the table and interlaced his hands. At the other end sat the university’s president- Augustus Holt.

Augustus gave his employee a curt nod before leaning back in his heavily cushioned chair. The man fold his hands over his rotund midsection, “Tell me, Crane, what is it that you need all these chemicals for? Month after month we’ve been approving things to be shipped in from all over the world yet we are continuously left in the dark.”

A small smile danced across Jonathan’s face as he popped open his briefcase. The professor passed around a small packet of paperwork and copies of his ‘lab studies’. Jonathan moved around the room as he spoke, “I’m working on a publication. I need to create a way to amplify the fears of a person to truly understand them. Phobias are fascinating, Mr. Holt, don’t you agree?”

The professor’s words were laced with menace as he stood by a window overlooking the campus grounds. As Augustus opened his mouth to question the professor, Jonathan turned swiftly on his heel, “Of course, none of this is going to be used on students, sir. I’ve already worked out a study group of volunteers within Arkham.”

“You’d have to be daft to go into Arkham willingly.”

Jonathan’s head whipped around and stared intently at the source of the comment- chair person of criminal justice, Justine Botwin. “Quite the contrary Miss Botwin. You see, Arkham holds a plethora of science. They have some of the most recognized psychologists and psychiatrists on their payroll.”

The blonde shook her head, “Those are crazed maniacs who put our entire city in danger. They are nothing more than the scum beneath my shoes.”

The professor scoffed, “Such ignorance, don’t you agree Horace?”

An aged Horace Noboa nodded in agreement. Justine frowned and slammed her head on the table, “Of course that old bat would agree with you. He’s in your department, Crane. What’s your real motive on it? Why should the board be granting you this extra funding?”

Jonathan straightened out his jacket and ran a hand through his hair, “To further my education to better the quality of learning for our students.” It was almost mechanical in response. The professor knew some of the chairs would require a more, textbook approach. “I would like to use this research to continue my own education only to later benefit the very students whose parents pay for those fine Italian suits you’re wearing.”

Augustus closed the manilla folder and reached for the documentation to sign allowing the university to grant their professor with extra funding. As his fat fingers gripped the over priced collectors item pen, the door swung open without a proper knock. All heads except Mr. Holt’s looked up at the door.

He couldn’t control the word vomit bubbling up in his throat, “Who are you?”

The porky man extended an arm, “So haste with questions, Jonathan.” Augustus smiled, “For a proper introduction, this is Miss Dallas. She’ll be accompanying you as an assistant on this project.” The president leaned forward and interlaced his fat fingers, “She’ll be overseeing production and reporting back daily.”

Jonathan found strength to tear his eyes away from those enticing brown eyes and narrow his stare at the plump man several feet away from him. “I didn’t ask for any help.” The professor noted through gritted teeth.

Augustus pulled his lips into a grin, his yellowing teeth causing a few people to inwardly cringe. The fat man shrugged, “Surprise.”