Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

been a while, but i still feel the same

Despite all the anxious arms I was being passed between, his arms feel the best. I instantly melted into him with a heartbeat so quick, it’d make anyone’s head spin. “Oh, love,” he breathed into my hair. Just when I thought I’d never hear that familiar Irish accent in person again, here it is.

He pulled away from me to look down. His eyes were a little alcohol dazed, but there was a sober warmth behind them. “It’s been a while, yeah?”

“Something like that.” We became locked into a hazy gaze with light headed smiles, feeling like there’s nothing in between us, until a head of bouncing brown curls intervened.

“Oh, Josie, darlin’!” The words dripped off his lips slowly as he wrapped me into a second hug, stealing me from Niall.

“Harry, oh, Harry!” I laughed warmly and I felt his chest vibrate against my cheek. “It’s been so long! If it weren’t for all of your faces being on the cover of every magazine, I would have forgotten about your lovely head of hair.” He held me at arms length with a lopsided smile on his face. “Which has only gotten more brilliant, of course.”

He smiled warmly and pulled me back into him for a third time, holding me there securely, while he swayed slightly.

Harry and I had gone to school when were younger and I was among the many who had encouraged him to try out for the X-Factor. Always being the one he called when he needed a pick-me-up and some kind words, I was close with him during those days. As the show went on and he was grouped with four other boys, his immediate connection with them made me automatically have a connection with them upon meeting the lot for the first time. I was completely fond of all of them, but the blue eyed blonde was always something else.

As their music and charm had captivated a generation overnight, I was overly happy for them and still enjoyed the occasional phone calls from my dear friend, Harry. Now sitting in this bar on a Thursday evening, I didn’t think I’d be seeing them all again after almost a year and a half.

“Niall! Look at how beautiful she’s gotten!” Louis gushed over me, pulling on my long hair and folding it sloppily over my head causing me to giggle at his antics. “And you thought she was adorable before...” He trailed off, winking coyly at Niall who shot him a narrow glare over the brim of his mug of beer. My cheeks warmed up and I turned away from Niall before my cheeks turned too completely red. “It sure is great to see our Josie around, though. Lot like old times.” Louis smiled and winked to me, before heading over to the bar for another round of drinks.

“Well,” I said loudly over the noise, grabbing all of their attention. “How have you all been!”

They all laughed warmly at my excited smile and raised their glasses, shouting and yelling happy nonsense.

Zayn patted me on the back warmly as he passed by me to slip into the restroom, and Liam was quickly in tow. “Missed you, dear.” He smiled before disappearing onto the dance floor.

I felt a warm hand grab my wrist. I looked down to see Niall grinning lazily up at me. In a brief motion, his tugged me onto the edge of his lap, wrapped his arms around my waist, and slumped his head against my arm. “Josie, Josie, Josie...” He mumbled in a sing song voice.

“Niall, Niall, Niall,” I teased and ran my hand playfully through his hair. He smiled instantly and I felt a spark in my heart that I forgot was there.

The tension I felt when I saw Niall for the first time was enough to make me rethink mostly everything I had ever known. I had never kissed him or even held his hand, but there was something about buried feelings that made everything much more intense, yet dangerously fragile.

When he looked up at me through his eye lashes, my slightly drunk eyes fell to his mouth. I bit my lip instinctively as he kept his eyes set on mine.

I knew Niall, but I didn't know him fully. I didn't know what he thought about when he was alone, or how he reacted when the waitress brought him Pepsi instead of Coke. I didn't know the way he looked in the morning with sleep still weary in his eyes, and I didn't know the way his lips felt.

But, I swear—if I did, there'd be no turning back.
♠ ♠ ♠
kind of like an introduction chapter: just setting the scene.
i hope you guys are liking it so far! i'll pick up the pace and make it more interesting soon,
i promise!
feedback?