Racing Through the City.

bang the doldrums.

racing through the city,
windows down


I can feel it. Starting, way down deep inside of me. Just this spark and then this thump and then the music and the lyrics and the instruments are beating in time with me. I feel a connection and a love and a leap of excitement that what I was once, I can be again. And for a moment I just exist, breathing the music into my lungs and tasting it on my tongue, bittersweet and maybe salty at the end.

The light stays inside, growing throughout the day. Even after the earphones have come out, the lyrics still echo, the light still grows, the heart still beats in time with the imagined beat. And all the while the gears in her head are spinning spinning spinning.

This is her chance. This is a revival, a revolution, a new day. This is a chance to pull herself off the path she's been stuck on for the past three years. It's a chance to stop worrying and to start living, a chance to break her routine and try something. It's a chance to remember what it was like to be young and in love with the world and life. A chance to be connected to others without needing to say a word. Maybe it's a chance to recharge old friendship and make new ones.

Her toes wiggle in her shoes and the socks she's worn two days in a row. It's time to run away, never look back. All you need is the music in your head and the love in your heart. Time to make a break for it.

in the back of yellow-checkered cars.