Status: Active

Mission Transformation

Meeting Jared's mom

I was dozing off in 1st period when I noticed that I hadn't seen Jared at his locker. I wonder where he was? maybe he was absent, but it's rare because he almost never misses out. I heard two girls talking about him in the morning while I was walking to homeroom but I'm not sure what they were saying exactly.

"Dereck" I said loudly while walking out of class while the bell wrung.

Either he didn't hear me or he just ignored me since I'm embarrassing to be seen with. I walked over to where he was and took him by the collar of his shirt.

"Hey this is my new shirt what the hell?" he said.

"Yeah whatever, where is Jared?" I asked ignoring his complain.

"Why do you wanna know? are you his mom?" he laughed and so did his friends.

"Just tell me!" I said rolling my eyes and forgetting about his stupid friends mocking me.

"He saw his mom last night while driving home and stayed with her so he wasn't going to come today." he explained.

I was surprised and my stomach was feeling queasy again but this time it wasn't for the same reason as last time. What a coincidence that Jared and I were talking about her and all of a sudden she appeared. She hadn't even cared to know about him in so many years so why come here now? I walked away without saying a word to Dereck, he was confused and asked me where I was going but I kept walking.

These last four minutes of class that we had left felt like an eternity. I wanted to leave already. I needed to see Jared.

*****

I started walking along the sidewalk trying to remember which way was Jared's house. He lived really close to the school and I knew because one day my brother came to drop off something at his house.

After 5 minutes of walking I finally see a cream color house and it's Jared's because I see his car parked out in the driveway. I walked to the porch and ring the bell. A few seconds later I see a dark figure appear at the see through glass on the wooden door. I saw this not-so-old but not-so-young woman, she was tall and thin, and had a few grey hairs, her eyes were grey just like Jared's. Was this Jared's mother? The so called mother who left his son for years on his own and turned him away? I suddenly felt angry and wanted to tell her a thing or two but I calmed myself and politely said hello. She sized me up and down in a serious way, when I saw Jared pop out from behind asking who it was.

"Serene.." he said slightly shocked to see me at his doorstep.

"Hey.." I said waving a little.

I came in the house and we all sat while his grandmother, who was so sweet, brought us some glasses of water.

"What school do you go to young lady?" Jared's mom asked.

"Central Academy High" I said very low.

"Why are you not dressed as a girl?" she said shooting her devious eyes.

"I-" I said before I got interrupted.

"Mom please." said Jared.

It was awkward and I have to admit I was intimidated by this woman. The rest of the time Jared never payed attention to me. He knew I was there but all he would do was talk to his mother and grandmother who were telling me stories of when we were little. After a while his mother seemed to notice I was there, without speaking.

"What are you to my son?" she asked in a serious tone.

"Huh?" I said surprised.

"Son is this some tramp you pick up in the streets? where is a real girl?" she said looking at Jared.

"Mom.." Jared began.

Those words of hers hurt me to the last pit of my soul. She called me a tramp and what was she insinuating by saying "where is a real girl?"? just because I don't dress or act like one doesn't mean she has to talk about me like I'm some lowly person of no class. I felt my tears bottling up and it suddenly it grew hot in the room. I looked down at my hands where I didn't know what to say. I quickly got up and headed for the door. It was the only thing I had in mind.

"Darli-" Jared's grandma said trying to stop me.

I walked so fast, I nearly began running towards the door. When I reached outside I noticed the tears had started falling and there was no end to it. I kept running when Jared caught my arm and pulled me to him.

"Serene stop it." he said.

"Why? So you can humiliate me even more?" I said crying.

"What?" he said.

"You lied Jared Scott!" I yelled.

"Stop it! What are you talking about?" he yelled back.

"You told me that story about your mom and I believed you! A son who would get treated the way he did, wouldn't forget that and wouldn't be acting so lovable towards his mother! She called me a tramp and Iv'e never even had a guy in my life. How dare she?" I said crying uncontrollably.

"You're so selfish Serene." he said letting go of my arm.

"How the hell am I selfish?" I asked.

"A son always loves his mother no matter what. She finally came back to me and instead of being happy for me, you complain about it. Sure she said some mean stuff but that's because she doesn't know you and for gods sake look at you. I know I'm supposed to coach you but why are you wearing those clothes again? At least try to look like a girl" he said back.

I looked at him in disbelief.

"You're words hurt Jared, and I can see where you get your hurtful words from." I said without noticing I touched a weak spot.

"What?" Jared said flabbergasted.

"You don't have to coach me anymore, and I can't see you anymore. I was worried about you, I came to see you but all you did was hang around your mom like nothing happened. You always act like nothing happened and it pisses me off. I'm done with this girly girl transformation shit. I fell for you and I noticed that today, but I also noticed it was with the wrong person" I said softly.

We looked at each other before I started walking away. I couldn't stop the tears on the way home. He didn't follow me at all and I wanted him to but that was the sad reality. His mom was probably happy that I left and declared to not see him anymore. I kept walking till I started running to forget about all my feelings. I got home, but I didn't even want to go inside. I didn't want to run into the emptiness and loneliness in it, I didn't want to see my brother having sex with some random chick. I wanted to be with Jared, I wanted to say sorry and make everything go back to normal but his words also hurt me. Was I that ugly and guy looking?

I went inside my room and looked at the big mirror in the bathroom. My brown hair was in a messy bun, my glasses were all fogged up from crying, my nose was red, and my clothes were hideous just like they all said. I took off all my clothes and threw them at the floor. I began searching in my closet for all the girly clothes my mom had ever bought me and tried them on. Maybe I should change for Jared.