Status: Mega busy with University - will update the second I have free time

The CSI Effect

Thank God For Stupidity

Mike entered into the tiny cubicle where Billie Joe sat, examining the many pictures of blood spatter that were plastered all over the make-shift wall.

“Got a call from Alta Bates, sounds like our armed robber finally sought medical attention; I’m heading over there now.”

“Great, I’ll grab my kit. Maybe we’ll get to go home early tonight.”

“That’ll be the day”

The two men made their way through the busy and highly chaotic emergency room of the Alta Bates Summit Medical Centre. The hospital was small and government funded, which meant it was lacking in many areas that private hospitals could afford to splurge in. Mike couldn’t help but feel like he should be arresting half the people in the waiting room and it didn’t surprise him in the least that this is where the shooter had gone, obviously hoping that his injuries would not alert any red flags in amongst the many other gunshot wounds that came through here every day. He showed his badge to the triage nurse who led them through the security doors and retrieved the doctor who had treated their suspect.

After getting the go ahead Mike went to question the man while Billie Joe collected the evidence: the suspect’s clothes, the bullet and to his great delight the gun that he had failed to discard. Career criminals very often kept a hold of the same weapon, like a baseball player’s favourite bat or a rock star’s trusted guitar but most of them where not usually stupid enough to bring them along for the hospital visit. This was looking like an easy case.

“Aren’t you glad their always so dumb?” Billie said holding up the gun that was now inside a clear evidence bag as Mike emerged, the suspect cuffed behind his back.

“I’ll get this to lab right away; match it and the bullets to the one from the scene”.

“Looks like you may have been right; we might get home early after all.”

While Mike was down at the precinct interrogating their suspect Billie Joe deposited the evidence in their respectful departments and hung around for the results, using the time to catch up with his former colleagues.

“Hey, how’s it going?” The question was asked by Vincent Turner, a quiet and unassuming man that worked in trace evidence analysis.

“Actually, I’m glad you’re here, I need your help with an... unofficial case.”

“And by unofficial you mean personal? Whatever you need”

Billie wondered why Vincent had come to him for assistance as they hadn’t known each other very well. Perhaps it was just because he was there and anyone could fill his shoes. He liked to think however it was because he knew that Billie was trustworthy and could provide infallible help.

“Well, my father-in-law passed away a few months ago and left my wife with rather a healthy inheritance: a fortune, property, land, the full works, anyway, the gardener claims that he has found a second will, one that cuts her out of everything! He gave me the copy and is demanding money otherwise he’ll notify an attorney about the real one. I haven’t opened the envelope yet, I brought it straight here, I don’t trust this guy, not for a second. I mean it was no secret that my wife had let’s say a difficult relationship with her father but I highly doubt that it would have gone as far as him cutting her out of his will, even at its most strenuous. “

Billie Joe was stunned and had no idea how to reply to such a revelation. All he could do was get started.

“Well, let’s take a look at this supposed second will then.”

Vincent took it out of the brown envelope and lay in on the work bench in front of them.

“You can relax there Vince, this is defiantly a forgery, probably the worst I’ve ever seen.”

“How can you tell? I brought some papers my father-in-law's signature for comparison”

“No need, take a look at the date that’s written”.

And there in the bottom right hand corner was the unmistakable bold print of the date Nov 31!

“The stupid son-of-a-bitch! I’ll have him!”

And with that Vincent stormed out of the room leaving Billie Joe behind in a rather a strange wake.

Across the street Mike had the suspect photographed and fingerprinted and settled into an interrogation room.

“I told you, I ain’t ever been to that bar never mind robbed it!”

“We have eye witnesses that place you there and when the lab reports come back we’ll have forensic evidence that puts you there as well. Trust me it will all be so much better for you if you tell me what happened now.”

“I ain’t telling you shit. I think I want my lawyer now.”

“That’s the first sensible thing you’ve said all night but just remember as soon as legal aid gets here any chance for you to cooperate will be gone, so you have one last chance to tell your side.”

“Yeah, well, I plead the fifth.”

Mike left him alone and went to get some coffee until legal aid arrived when Billie Joe came into his view.

“He’s our guy; his DNA was a match to the blood on the wall and the bullets from the bartender matched the gun he was carrying”

“Thank god for the stupidity of criminals! It never ceases to amaze me how dumb people can be.”

“Tell me about it” Billie replied, thinking back to the forged will.

Mike re-entered the interrogation room where the suspect now sat with his council.

“It turns out I don’t need your testimony after all Mr Parker, we have your DNA at the scene and ballistics confirmed your gun as the murder weapon. That is what your lawyer will tell you, what we call a slam dunk case. Take him to central booking” He directed the last bit to the officer who stood quietly but authoritively in the corner.

Now all that lay ahead was boring old paperwork before he could finally put this case to rest.

Billie Joe entered into his dark and empty house, much more tired than he had realised. He headed straight to the office and pulled out a case file, taking it into the lounge where he flopped down on the sofa. This had become his routine during his Adrienne-less nights, the week stretching out much longer and him missing her much more than he thought that he would. He took out the crime scene pictures and police reports just as he had done a million times in the hope that this time he would find something new, discover something that had been overlooked, something that would send his mind whizzing and he would figure it all out. Of course there was nothing new to be learned and yet another day would go by with the case unsolved and the elusive serial killer still on the loose.

It wasn’t long before Billie drifted off into a deep sleep, the papers in his hand falling to the floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long wait I know but I have been unbelievably busy lately! Hope you enjoy, and I will try to start updating more regulary again so keep posted!