Falling for You Was Out of My Control

Sometimes Dreams Crash As Fast As They Come

Evgeni’s POV
Being there for Jessie was the only thing that was on my mind. There were moments where I thought about how I had just ditched my teammates like that and left them hanging but no matter how much she denied it I knew she needed me.

I went to the apartment first to drop of my things where I ran into Kevin.
“Yeah I went and saw her before, she wasn’t doing too well,” he shook his head.
“Do they know what wrong?” I could feel the stirring feeling in my stomach begin to rise more and more.
“Yeah umm…” he looked really uncomfortable standing in front of me.
“What? Tell me,” I put my hands on his shoulders and shook him, “what happened?”
“It’s not my place to say,” he walked away without another word.

What the hell was going on? This guessing game wasn’t helping me right now so I grabbed the first cab and headed to the hospital.

“I need see Jessie Bailey,” I tried to catch my breath as I babbled to the nurse hoping to god this was the right hospital, New York was too big for this.
“Yes, through that door at the end, take a right and room 15.”
“Thanks,” I hurried off almost running into a little boy cradling his arm in a sling.
“Sorry!” I called out and continued on my way to find Jessie.

I took a deep breath before stepping into her room but when I did I didn’t think I could ever be prepared to see her the way she was.

“Evgeni,” she broke down in tears the moment her eyes landed on me. Her eyes were puffy and red, her face was pale and she didn’t look fine at all.
“Jessie,” I rushed to her side and grabbed her hand where she latched on not letting up even for a second.

“What happen?” I ran my free hand through her hair hoping that the action alone would calm her down.
“Something terrible,” she cried throwing her arms around me.
“What?” I pulled her closer to me, “what happened?” I ran my hand up and down her back.

Jessie’s POV
I thought not knowing what was wrong was the hardest part but as it turned out I never wanted to hear what was wrong again. I would have rather they let me go home and it remain a mystery to me forever because this I couldn’t handle.

“What happened?”
His large hand running up and down my back was pushing out all the tension making the words just fall out of my mouth, “I had a miscarriage.”
“What?!” he pulled my face up to look at him, “you were pregnant?”
“Yes,” I let my eyes fall down to look at how tense he was.
“Why you not tell me?!” I couldn’t really tell if the frown on his face was from confusion or from anger because they kind of blended one into the other.
“I didn’t know,” I babbled closing my eyes not being able to look at him anymore feeling like I had let him down.

I knew this wasn’t going to be good for my basketball career. I already spent enough time resting on the bench with ice wrapped around my knee or something ridiculous and now this on top of it. It was going to be over before it even started.

“Evgeni you’re hurting my arm,” I sobbed as his hands held me tightly. I knew he wasn’t doing it on purpose but he was scaring me and I felt like I couldn’t breathe.
“I am sorry,” he eased up and rested his forehead against mine.

His eyes were screwed shut as he cupped my face and kept me still. I didn’t know what was going on with him. I needed him to tell me, I needed to know what he was feeling, I needed him to talk.

“Evgeni,” I put my hands on his sides hoping to distract him enough for him to pull back, “you don’t have to stay here.”
“What? Of course I do,” he sat up but still the anger was there in his eyes. Whether he was angry at me or angry at what happened I had no clue.

I felt a little less pressured as he turned away and sat on the edge of my bed purely because his eyes weren’t burning into me anymore but I was still worried about him.

He jumped when I put my hand on his back and I felt like I needed to apologize, not just for that but everything, “sorry.”
“Is ok,” he mumbled picking at the fluff on his shirt.
“We are going to be ok,” I wrapped my arms around him and rested my head on his back letting his breathing calm me down.

Evgeni’s POV
I didn’t know what was wrong with me? My emotions were just all over the place but one that I was so familiar with was being angry. I was always so quick to get angry at things or people but Jessie wasn’t the one I wanted to direction that anger to. Sure I wanted to have kids but I never wanted to lose someone I loved over them.

“Jessie,” I went to sit up straight and talk to her but she didn’t move like I thought she would.
“Jessie,” I shuffled lifting my arm to see her sound asleep.

Why was she the one trying to reassure me? Why was I the one being such a jerk? Jessie was too nice of a person for this to happen to and I needed to make it right.

I sighed feeling like a compete dick and moved her to where she would be much comfortable lying down in bed, after all she had been through enough as it was and right now I had to be there for her.

“Evgeni,” she groaned as I laid her down easing her head back into the pillow.
“Shhh sleep,” I kissed her forehead and she reached out and grabbed my hand.

I let her have it while I settled into the chair next to her bed even though I knew it would more than likely go numb in a few minutes, it was the least I could do for her at this point in time.