Stomach Flu

Chapter Three

The plan was not working. Jack was still very much awake and very much in pain. Too tired to even stumble to the bathroom, he was curled up in his bunk with a bucket next to him. Rian was sitting with him, Jack’s head leaning on his shoulder. The guitarist looked utterly wrecked. It was practically killing Alex to see him like this and not be able to help. He wished he could be the one holding Jack and comforting the boy but Rian had banished him to the front lounge after complaining that Alex’s worried hovering was making Jack worse.

So Alex was sulking. He knew it was fair; his hovering over Jack probably was stressing the younger out even more but he couldn’t help it.

His pouting however, was interrupted by a hacking coughing sound followed by a nauseous looking Rian appearing.

“Anyone wanna take over?”

Zack immediately moved to stand up but Alex got there first. He may have a weak stomach but Jack was more important.

“Zack, you can’t even deal with hearing about someone being sick without wanting to hurl. Plus, you were with him this morning. And let’s face it- the amount of times Jack’s looked after me puking from alcohol related causes means I owe him, big time.”

Bracing himself for the display that had got even iron-stomached Rian looking ill, Alex made his way to Jack’s bunk. On seeing the younger boy however, all trepidation vanished and was instantly replaced with pure concern.

Jack was a pitiful sight. Unable to even support his own neck, his head lolled against the back wall of the bunk and he was visibly shaking.

Alex quickly sank down onto the bed, wrapping his arms around Jack protectively. The second he held him tight, Jack burst into pathetic sobs, leaning into his touch, using the older boys body to support his own. Tremors racked both of their bodies as Jack shook violently from the illness and the crying.

“Did you puke again?” asked Alex softly, pressing his lips into Jack’s messy hair.

“No, dry heaving, nothing left to puke.” Jack answered miserably.

How do you respond comfortingly to that? Alex couldn’t, instead he just squeezed the boy tighter and murmured into his ear. “We’ll be there soon, not long to go, then you can sleep it off. It’ll be okay, it’s probably just a 24 hour thing.”

Jack just sniffed dejectedly. Alex couldn’t blame him; his words were hardly inspiring.

“Lie down with me then, at least try to rest.”

He obeyed, snuggling backwards into Alex and letting himself be spooned. As his breathing began to even out, Alex massaged soft circles onto his stomach in an attempt to quell the pain. Jack’s breathing got slower and deeper as he drifted into sleep and before Alex could stop himself, he’d pressed a kiss to Jack’s shoulder. Blushing to himself, he thanked god Jack was too out of it to notice.

They’d only been lying like that for 10 minutes tops when Alex felt Jack’s stomach jerk involuntarily as the younger boys eyes shot open and he quickly scrambled for the bucket.

The horrible gagging noises were enough to turn anyone’s stomach- let alone Alex’s; the well-known sympathetic puker. Holding his breath and with his features set in harsh determination, Alex focused on breathing through his mouth and concentrated on rubbing Jack’s back and staring at the wall.

He’d been so fixated on ignoring what was happening just centimetres away from him that he hadn’t even realised the bus had stopped moving until Rian came through to get them.

“We’re here.” He said, wincing painfully at Jack. “Alex; go outside now before you puke as well. I’m not clearing up your mess too.”

Thankfully, Alex left the bus, breathing in the cool fresh air outside. A couple of minutes later and Rian stumbled out, supporting Jack’s weight.

Alex reached out for the sick boy, pulling him close and holding him up. Once inside the hotel lobby, Matt instantly handed them their keys and told Jack he’d run out and get some medicine and energy drinks for him as soon as possible. Jack’s only reply was to whimper softly and push his head into the hollow between Alex’s chin and shoulder.

The second they reached their room, Jack dived for the bathroom, not even shutting the door behind him in his haste. Alex hovered unhelpfully for a minute, putting their bags on the beds and fetching out another bottle of water and Jack’s toothbrush. Once he’d done that, the puking noises had subsided and he felt brave enough to enter the small bathroom.

Tear tracks marred Jack’s pale face and just about broke Alex’s heart. His head rested on the rim of the toilet seat as he sniffed back full blown tears audibly.

Alex’s heart went out to him. It was bad enough to be ill, but to be ill away from home and in conditions like touring was just awful.

Tugging gently on Jack’s shoulder, Alex helped lead him over to the nearest bed. The sick boy collapsed onto it, immediately curling up into the foetal position. Alex joined him, huddling up close behind the younger to try and comfort him as best he could.

“You’re shaking like crazy. D’ya wanna get under the covers?”

“Not really. I kinda just wanna die. Quick, hit me over the head with that bible and no-one will ever know and I won’t have to suffer.”

Even in his worried state, Alex couldn’t help but smile and roll his eyes at Jack’s melodramatic behaviour. If he was okay enough to make jokes he could hardly be at deaths door. Although knowing Jack, his final words would be a knock knock joke or some other stupid comment.

“What bible. Are you hallucinating? Do I need to get Matt to fetch the anal thermometer?” Alex teased.

“There’s always a bible in hotel rooms. And you can tell Matt where to shove his bloody thermometer. He’s way too obsessed with that thing for a seemingly heterosexual guy.”

Alex snorted in reply and ran his fingers through Jack’s matted hair. The feelings of yearning want had returned and he found it hard to keep his hands off the younger boy. Thankfully, Jack didn’t seem to mind Alex’s affection and even leaned back willingly into his touch.

Still, it was probably to be expected. Jack had always responded well to touch, and it was obvious from previous experience he always got clingy when ill. The utter opposite to Alex in fact, who was increasingly irritable even with the slightest hint of something like a cold and couldn’t bear to be touched if he wasn’t 100%. The last time he’d come down with a stomach bug, he’d been so moody and snappy, Matt had banned Jack from the bus after Alex had yelled at him for being too loud and thrown a pot noodle at him.

The only person Alex would stand near him when he was like that was Zack, arguing that Zack was “nice and quiet and he doesn’t bloody jump around like a kangaroo on speed.” Zack was also Jack’s favourite person to be around when he was under the weather usually; the pair were often found
cuddled up together in the back lounge as Zack played nursemaid.

Even thinking about this annoyed Alex. He didn’t want Jack to want anyone else, to need anyone but him. Thankfully this time around, Jack only had eyes for Alex. It felt good; this vulnerable side to Jack who wanted no-one but Alex caring for him. It was nice to be needed like this.

Jack’s shaking had lessened slightly so Alex took the opportunity to pull the blanket off the second bed and settle it over them both. Alex resumed the rubbing of Jack’s shoulders, pausing now and then to play with strands of his hair.

It wasn’t long before Jack’s breathing evened out and he slipped into unconsciousness. As his best friend relaxed, Alex shut his eyes too and began to fall asleep, arms wrapped loosely around Jack.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know, it's been forever
but woo finally chapter three ^-^