You Saved Me

Trading one Hell for another

Going to school that monday sucked. It sucked because I knew I had to face Jessica and it sucked because I knew that Drake was sitting there, waiting to stick his tongue down my throat again. I walked up to the picnic tables outside of the cafeteria and plopped down next to Drake, trying to ignore the devilishly handsome new addition to our corner of the school.

Bret was sitting on the other side of Drake, leaning up against the wall and listening to his iPod. He bobbed his head in time with the music, his hair covering the beautiful eyes I knew were there.

I made eye contact with Andee, one of my best friends since the first day going to this place and she winked at me, looked at Bret, then back at me. I knew she thought he was hot. Hell, everyone thought he was hot. I looked around the table and saw all the girls trying to get his attention, not unlike Jessica last night. She was sitting on top of the table so her boobs were level with his eyes. God, she was such a slut.

Drake snaked his arm around my waist and I cringed. His fingers dug into my side, reminding me that I was supposed to act like we were an actual couple. "Good morning beautiful."

"Morning," I replied meekly. His mouth crushed against mine. I opened my eyes and saw that Bret had stopped listening to the music, his eyes were trained on me. He tapped Drake and saved me for the first time. He would save me many times after that day. That day was the beginning. I didn't want to acknowledge it. I didn't want to trust him. I didn't want to like him. Yet, it didn't seem as though I was capable of doing anything I wanted. I instinctly trusted him, liked him. I was falling for a stranger, someone I didn't even know. Yet he felt like he had to save me. I don't know why he felt like it was his obligation or something, but he did. And God, am I ever thankful for that.

"What do you want?" Drake asked, obviously annoyed.

"Uh, I wanted to see what you think about this new band." Bret shoved an earbud into Drake's ear and you could visibly see his annoyance slowly fade. Bret had a way with people, he could calm people down and talk them out of or into anything. He smiled at me and I blushed, but quickly returned it. I ducked my head and untucked the newly died blonde hair from behind my ear, using it to cover up my face a bit.

Andee plopped down next to me and grabbed my wrist, pulling me away from the guys.

"Who's the new guy?"

"Bret. I don't know his last name or anything. Me and Jessica met him last night," I explained.

"Oh," she frowned. "I better back off then. Remember what she did to that one girl who hit on Josh when she and Josh never even dated? The girl has issues."

"That girl is my friend." I don't know why I always defended Jessica, but I did, even though she never did anything for me.

"Maybe you should try to find some new friends." The bell that announced the start of the school day rang and Andee started to walk away.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I yelled after her.

"Exactly what you think," she called over her shoulder.

*****

A week had gone by of me pretending to be Drake's girlfriend and I had had enough. I was tired of him trying to grope me and I was tired of all his advances. I hated kissing him. It felt like I was fighting with a fat seal over a grape. Drake's not fat, actually he's pretty fit, training to go into the Marines, but that's what it felt like.

It was saturday, and we went to the beach with a group of our friends. I was wearing a black and white bikini and Jessica was wearing a cheetah print one. Her long brown hair hung off of her body in thick, rubbery strands. She just got out of the water and she was soaking wet. I'm usually into swimming, but Drake was in the water and I wanted to be anywhere but near him. Bret had sat out with me and was listening to some music next to me.

I was getting used to the silence, well besides the sound of the seagulls calling and the waves slapping harshly against the shore when he spoke. "What's the deal with you and Drake?"

"It's nothing."

"Doesn't look like nothing. Actually, it looks a whole lot like 'something'. Not that it's any of my business anyways." He seemed kind of shy and genuinely shocked that he spoke.

"That doesn't matter. Actually, I'll tell you but it's a secret, so you HAVE to keep it between you and me. Deal?" I decided to take a leap of faith and trust this guy that I barely knew.

"Deal. Now tell me." I guess we were both caught up with talking to each other, and I knew I was getting lost in his warm and accepting eyes, so maybe that's why we didn't hear Jessica walk up.

"Telling him what now?" She asked, startling the both of us.

I looked up at her and saw that she was fuming underneath her recently tanned skin. She tried to look seductive though, probably for Bret's benefit. "Oh, nothing."

"Yeah, why don't you stay in your own business?" Bret asked. I could instantly tell that Jessica just became pissed off at me.

"Uh, alright." She muttered before sitting down next to me. Drake walked up out of the ocean, the waves lapping at his ankles like a hungry beast that's feeding on his energy, not yet willing to give him up. He shoke the water out of his almost nonexistent hair like a sopped up dog. Actually, he reminded me more of a broom. He reached us on the bench, picked me up and placed me in his lap like I was a feather. I cringed and tried to sit up straight so he was barely touching me. He clamped down and held me closer, digging his fingers into my sides and stomach. I'm pretty sure Bret noticed because he was now looking at Drake's fingers.

"Can I talk to you in the bathroom, Sage?"

"Uh, sure?" Drake held on to my hand and practically dragged me across the sand. He opened up the door to the public restroom and slammed it behind him. His mouth clamped eagerly down on mine, his hands pinning mine above my head and his body trapping me against the wall. He pulled down his trunks by pulling the drawstring and easily slid the top of my bikini off.

I couldn't help it. I screamed. Then my face stung terribly. Drake had slapped me. "You bitch!" he screamed at me.

The door smashed open and Bret stood there, his eyes analyzing what was going on. He punched Drake, instantly causing blood to flow freely out of some orface on his face. Drake cried out and grabbed his bleeding face, running to the sink. I was on the floor, my knees pulled up to my chest. I didn't even realize I was crying.

Without saying anything Bret picked me up and carried me out of that place, never stopping until we reached his car. He placed me into the passenger seat and buckled the belt for me, closing the door as he walked around to the other side. He got in and started the car, waving absentmindedly at a stunned Jessica before racing away.