Autumn Nights

Maybe someday she'll understand...

“Hey Yuki!” His all too familiar voice sounds, instantly livening my day, although it makes my companion sigh.

“Hey Yuuki!!” I squeal, ignoring Aie and dashing to the odd man’s side. He’s always been quite the peculiar dresser, but I like that about him. He’s totally unique, as compared to me in my crummy school uniform and long, black hair. Damn.

“I missed you!!!” He exclaims, pulling me into a hug and practically knocking me to the floor in a fit of giggles. I love his hugs. He reminds me of a giant puppy the way he shows his affection.

“I missed you more!!!” I yelp as he finds a ticklish spot.

“Nuh uh!!” He argues.

“Uh huh!”

“Nuh uh!!”

“Uh…”

“Would the two of you shut the hell up before I pummel you!!!” Aie shrieks. I’d forgotten she was even there for a second. What a wonderful friend I am.

“But Aie! It’s been two whole months!” I pout in his embrace, my best puppy dog eyes working. Too bad she hates puppies…

“And I still don’t give a damn.” She grumbles. She’s just upset because a certain, funky haired bassist didn’t come to visit them at the school gates after returning from tour. But you didn’t hear that from me.

“Someone needs to get laid.” Yuuki mutters in my ear, and it takes every ounce of my being to hold in my laughter.

“That’s so mean!” I hiss, suppressing giggles. He only rolls his eyes rocking me side to side. The two of us have been close friends ever since grade school. Okay, we definitely weren’t in the same class seeing as how he’s much older than me, but he was a damn good math tutor. After that, the two of us became inseparable. Even Aie can’t get between us, and we’ve been besties since birth! I don’t even see what her deal with him is. She just hates his guts and wants to punch him at every chance she gets. The girl has some definite anger management issues, but deep down, she’s just a foo foo girly girl. Heh heh. These two are the siblings I’ve never had, and I love them with all my heart.

xoxoxox

“The four of us are going out!” Yuuki exclaims out of the blue, making Aie stare wide eyed, her arms crossed over her chest and foot tapping. Obviously, she has somewhere else she’d rather be.

“In case you hadn’t noticed, there are only three of us. Yu, (that’s me) I don’t know how well those math tutorials actually paid off.” She moves to say something else, but the enormous, giddy grin on my face makes her shut up. Behind her stands the one person who can liven up her mood, no matter what the cause. And in his hand rests a daisy, the other tapping her shoulder, making her look the opposite way. “What the fu…” Her look of anger instantly turns to one of happiness, then embarrassment the second she lays her eyes on Kanon’s priceless surprise.

“You didn’t bring me a flower.” I pout to Yuuki.

“Cause we’re not dating and I’m not a pussy.” He smirks patting me on the head, ruffling my hair a bit. I grimace, but inside, I’m happy just having my friend back. Eventually, the four of us traverse to some nearby diner and even catch a movie. Though I doubt Aie and Kanon saw much of it, if you catch my drift. Not to mention, Yuuki and I were seconds away from being banned from the theatre with the amount of whispering and giggling going on between us. Lots of food being thrown as well…and some seat kicking…but that’s it! I swear!

xoxoxox

“Hey Yuuki?” I prod, hoping to get his attention, though he seems lost in thought.

“Yeah?” His soft voice responds.

“I’m really glad you’re back.” I smile sheepishly, long, dark bangs hiding the blush on my cheeks.

“I am too.” He smiles gently. It’s only now that I notice his hand intertwined with my own, and our closeness. We tried dating once before, but that didn’t work out all too well. It only lasted about a week. I don’t really understand why-other than the age difference and his constant touring. But now, none of that really matters to me.

“I miss you.” I sigh, head resting on his warm, cozy shoulder as we sit under the night sky, stars twinkling above us. Not a sound in the world besides our soft whispers and the chirping of crickets.

“I’m right here silly.” He chuckles, his hand leaving my own to wrap around my shoulders, bringing me closer.

“If you say so.” I pout, inhaling his sweet scent. He smells so crisp, and that’s only enhanced in the fresh, autumn night.

“I do.” His sad eyes meet my own, and I’m glad he left the wig and goof ball glasses at home. For today, he’s my Yuuki. The one I grew up with, and the one only I know. He’s the man behind the mask. Loyal, comforting, gentle, a friend. And the only man I’ll ever love.

“Let’s get you home Yu. You’re pooped.” He smiles gently, scooping me up into his arms. I hadn’t even noticed how tired I truly was, and instantly, I’m out like a log, incapable of even walking, or fighting to try. What is it about him that makes me so tired? That’s right, he fills my very day with so much excitement, that by night I’ve used all my energy. Like a child with a puppy. I’m a child. I wonder if I’ll ever be good enough for him.

YUUKI’S POV:

Well maybe next time she’ll actually be awake for me to tuck her in. I’d love to hear her reply some day.

“I’m a child.” She groans, tossing in her sleep. I can’t help smiling.

“And that’s why I love you.” I smile, quickly pressing my lips to hers.

I always have, and always will. Maybe someday you’ll understand.