Dreamlike

Do you believe in fate?

Ami’s POV

1/20/13
I’m growing to question my sexuality. That can be the only reason for these dreams. Why else would I dream as though I were a man? Literally, I am a man (in my dreams). Last night’s was with my best friend! I could handle the strangers, but Lily? No. Ew. WTF’s wrong with me?! Should I talk to her about it? Ugh. Well, at least I’m a hot man in my dreams. I’ve got that going for me.

Buzz. Buzz. My phone hums at my side, hidden beneath the pillow. I growl, frustrated with not only myself, but the day ahead of me. Snapping my journal shut, I bury my face beneath the blankets. Five more minutes, please?

My room grows brighter as the sun claws its way into the horizon, not so eager to greet the world. “I feel your pain.” I mutter as my phone begins buzzing yet again. I hit the dismiss alarm now that I’m officially thirty minutes late into my usual daily routine. I roll out of bed, blanket and pillows following, crawling into the bathroom. I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, making a face at my reflection. “Good luck with this one.” I mutter to the shower, pinching my cheeks as I prepare the hot water.

I shower in darkness as usual, stumbling over empty bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I can’t bring myself to get rid of them; I could fill them with something. Like more shampoo and conditioner, in case they ever don’t come in a bottle. Suddenly, there’s a knock at the door.

“Ami, can you hurry up in there? I really have to use the toilet!” My roommate Lily pleads. Rolling my eyes, I speed through my shower and wrap my body up in a towel.

“She’s all yours.” I tease opening the door for her. But instead of finding Lily, the man from my dreams stands in front of me. I can’t help but stand slack jawed in front of him, now fully conscious of what I’m wearing. My face flushes red, and I slam the door in his face; His beautiful, handsome face.

Saga’s POV

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It was her, the girl I’ve dreamt about. And she just slammed a door in my face! I clutch my, what I’d assumed to be broken, nose. Tears seared in my eyes, blood gushing from my nostrils as I shrieked in agony. She opens the door again at the sound of my cries, with that alarmed expression still on her face.

“Oh god! Oh man! You’re real?! Oh my god!” She sputtered, flitting around my body in her pink bathrobe. Red blossomed in my vision as the blood vessels broke in my eyes.

“Ami? Oh my god Ami what did you do?!” Lily’s voice questions from behind.

“I-I-I…” She stutters, unsure of how to answer. Lily shoves the girl aside, pulling my hands from my face.

“We need to get him to the hospital. Hurry, get dressed!” She scolds. The girl follows her orders as Lily drags me away. I was still in shock from what had just transpired. Who was that girl? Why had I been dreaming of her? Or the better question, why am I her in these dreams? I glance back toward her room, still completely awestruck by it all.

XOXOXOX

“You should be just fine son. We’ve reset your nose and stopped the bleeding, but there isn’t much more you can do for a broken nose. Just give it time and keep it properly dressed.” The doctor informs me before discharge. I nod, my head pounding with a headache. I was eager to sleep it off.

“I am so sorry.” Ami, as I came to understand, repeats over and over again.

“It’s fine.” I grin, the movement making my nose sting. “I probably would have done the same, had I been in your position.” I chuckle, making her smile brightly. I caught myself staring, as did Lily.

“Ami, I never had the chance to make introductions. This is Saga, my boyfriend.” Lily clarifies, clutching tightly to my arm.

“It’s nice to meet you, officially that is.” Ami beams, bowing slightly. I do the same, grimacing as the blood rushes to my face. We return to the apartment, and I quickly settle onto the couch, allowing my eyes to fall shut where yet again, I dream of Ami. It’s nice to have a name for the face.

Ami’s POV

I sat in the living room with Saga, television playing quietly in the background. Lily raced throughout the house, readying herself for work.

“I’d hoped he’d have woken up by now.” She mutters staring at Saga. “You won’t mind him staying while I’m gone?” She asks.

“Nope, wake him up and send him home.” I tease. She just rolls her eyes, disappearing into her room to retrieve her keys.

“Call me if you need anything at all!” She squawks disappearing out the door, keys bouncing off her purse. And then there were two…

I tried to watch TV, but I couldn’t keep my eyes off him. My thoughts gravitated towards him, and I scolded myself for doing so. I wanted him to wake up so we could talk. But what would I say? No matter how I started any conversation, I’d sound creepy. Or crazy. I sigh, throwing my head back in defeat. That’s when a thought occurred to me: My journal. Specifically, my dream journal. What if there was an answer in there? It wouldn’t hurt to try.

So, I disappeared into my room and curled up with my collection of journals. It didn’t take long for my mind to pulse with agitation and boredom. I suppose the combined force was enough to make me fall into sleep.

I was in a forest, snow covering the branches of mile high trees and coating the ground. Fat snowflakes plopped on top of me, coating my jet black hair and thin frame as I walked forward. I entered into a small clearing, snow falling heavily here. A small girl sat in the middle, curled amongst piles of worn books. She was asleep. She was small, doll-like. Light-brown hair cascaded down her body in broad ringlets. She clutched a journal to her heart, its leather binding housing thick, yellowing pages. I removed it from her hands, inspecting the pages full of delicate script. She wrote about a man, Saga. She wrote about…me. But it wasn’t really me. That’s when I looked at the girl, her deep brown eyes staring back at me. I was the girl, and this was my journal. And I woke up.

Saga sat in front of me on my bed, my journal open in his lap. He was reading it. It took a moment to register, and that’s when my face grew red in anger. I opened my mouth to protest, but the look on his face stopped me.

“Ami…you have these dreams too?” He questioned, his dark, bloodshot eyes meeting mine. I didn’t know what to say. He shook his head in disbelief, shifting to remove his phone from his pocket. He tapped the screen several times before handing it over to me, forcing it into my hands. “Read.” He stated.

I glanced at the text on the screen, taking in what they meant. It was his journal.

1/20/13
What can I say? I dreamt of her again. I looked into my reflection to find a beautiful woman staring back at me. She looked nothing like me; in fact, I’d never met her before in my life. But there she was again, staring back in that haunting manner. She pinched her cheeks before muttering something incoherent, and then disappeared with a slight grin on her face. I don’t understand why I don’t dream of my own life. I dream of her life.

I read through other entries, each detailing a different dream. They were of my life. Just as I had been dreaming of Saga, Saga had been dreaming of me. And yet, we were complete strangers.

“Ami, do you believe in fate?” He questions. I stare back up at him, taking in his every feature. I had seen them so often, and yet, this was the first time I had truly seen him. Fate has an odd way of…well everything. And I believe this was only the beginning of something magical; dreamlike, if you will.