Sequel: Devour my Heart
Status: There will be a sequel coming out 1st May 2013 --- I had to finish the story here because the competition deadline is today!

Devour my Soul

Revenge

The sun shone high in the centre of the sky, showering flecks of golden light over the ocean water. The distant cries of gulls floated on the breeze, mixing with the waves that crashed against the dock posts. I hadn’t been to the docks in a long time. Not since my father was alive and eager to take me fishing out on the sea. He had been a keen fisherman, and he had been mighty good at it.

Boats lined the dock of all different shapes and sizes; most of them probably owned by seedy and dirty-minded old men, judging by the names painted smoothly across the boat’s behinds. The salty air clung to the back of my throat as we searched for any sign that might indicate the rendezvous as requested.

The wood groaned beneath our feet, even as quietly as I tried to step. My nerves were setting my bones on edge, warning me that this was a stupid idea, and begging me to turn around. I almost did, until I realised that we’d been flanked by a couple of shadows. A pair of burly men trailed our steps, watching us emotionlessly through dark shades.

Lauren shifted uncomfortably beside me, and I nudged her shoulder gently. I knew she hated the midday sun. The shadows were scarce during this time of day, and her ability was useless unless her shadow had touched the shadow of another.

Giving me a nervous smile, Lauren nudged me back before tilting her head towards the end of the dock. There rested the proudest boat of them all. Bright white and shiny, the magnificent craft was dripping in millions of dollars, and I knew that it was exactly where we were heading. My eyes shifted nervously, executing an escape route in my mind the closer we got to the boat. The chances were slim to none, but my best bet was to jump over the edge.

“It must be my lucky day,” a voice announced loudly, and I glanced up to see a man standing at the top of the ramp, his hands casually buried into his pockets. “A two in one delivery.”

My eyes narrowed in suspicion as the man brushed a hand through his peppered hair, a cocky smirked tilted across his face. Lines marred his forehead in handsome aging, falling into a strong square jaw. It was as clear as day that he thought he was important, sporting himself in a flashy suit and polished shoes. I could barely hold back my grimace as the man then gave a smug chuckle, reminding me eerily of Muttley, the annoying chuckling dog.

“I don’t think I quite understand what it is you’re laughing about,” I stated tartly, as we approached the vessel. “Or what it is you think you’ve gained.”

A glower flickered across Muttley’s face before vanishing behind a less than amused smile. I walked ahead of Lauren as we tentatively walked aboard the man’s boat, my legs wobbling slightly as it contradicted my fearless face. Muttley only sneered, turning swiftly on his heel and stalking casually to the rear of the vessel. I tried hard to ignore the guards bordering us on all sides.

“There’s nothing I wish for more, than to have Phillips feel every ounce of pain as I lick your bones clean,” the man smiled, lounging back onto a deck chair and waving his hand for us to take a seat on the opposite sun beds. “To have him lose the only thing in the world that can truly understand him. To rip that happiness from his filthy hands.”

Rolling my eyes, I lazed back on the sun bed, folding my arms behind my head. “Haven’t heard that before,” I yawned sarcastically. Peeking at Lauren, I almost laughed at her determination as she discreetly eyed the darkness that shadowed Muttley from the sun.

“I’m going to make that worthless piece of shit pay for what he did to my Sophie,” the man snapped, his words cutting into my curiosity.

I feigned indifference, hoping I didn’t sound bitter, but failing miserably. “Spare me,” I spat, turning my head away slightly and shutting my eyes against the blinding light of the sun. “Evan wouldn’t notice my absence if you slit my throat right in front of him. Killing me won’t do shit.”

Muttley merely scoffed, his patience dwindling to a thin thread. “Tie them up,” he ordered.

My eyes snapped open as one of Muttley’s men approached me, flexing his muscles as if preparing for a fight. I smirked, knowing that was exactly what I intended to give him, throwing myself off the sun bed and dropping into a stance.

It seemed to move quickly then. Lauren attacked first, darting for a pair of guards who had deemed the beauty more dangerous, much to my humiliation. It was obvious, though, that she had trained for this situation. Nimbly dancing around the men, she managed to slide behind the both of them, snatching their shadows effortlessly. I watched in amazement as their arms dropped limply to their sides, their heads bowed slightly as if weary. They were puppets, dangling loosely on their strings.

Taking Lauren’s lead, I turned back to my own would-be captor, using his surprise to make my move. Energy bubbled at my fingertips, sucking the power from the air and pooling into a flame of pink fire. The simple act was draining, leaving me feeling physically weak, but as Antheon’s growl rippled against my skin I could feel my body replenish its strength.

Pouncing on the guard, I inwardly smiled as he toppled to the ground completely startled. My flame seared the hairs on his chin as I held my fingers to his neck. Twitching beneath me, the man wriggled in the hopes of turning the tables. I tutted at him, shaking my head slightly, and warning him with a surge of crackling power.

“Sorry, honey,” I drawled, silently revelling in the ease of his capture. “You aren’t going anywhere.”

Slumping back down, I glanced back at Muttley with a raised brow. The look on his face only fuelled my joy, knowing that we’d clearly exceeded his expectations of us. Still, the joy was short-lived as the millionaire clicked his fingers impatiently.

“Bring him out,” he sneered.

My brows were already furrowed in confusion as Lauren gasped painfully at the appearance of a young man being pushed roughly by one of Muttley’s men. Red welts could be seen beneath the light of the sun, some marks having already turned purple. Watching the unfamiliar man with curiosity, I hid the relief washing over me that I wasn’t staring at Hayden.

Lauren, however didn’t share my relief and I could feel her resolve weakening. Her grip on one of the guards faltered for a second, his fingers twitching awkwardly at the slight freedom. It took all of my strength not to scream out to her. To tell her to get her head in the game. Because the look in her eyes reminded me of someone.

“You look surprised,” Muttley said with a grin, watching Lauren with hungry eyes. “Had to up the game after dear mummy and daddy.”

That was when it clicked. I remembered who my shadow friend reminded me of. The widening of her eyes as if she had only just found her sight. The softening of her lips as they struggled not to smile in adoration. The subtle movement of her body as she leaned towards the beaten man.

“Lauren, love, meet Mitch Willows,” Muttley continued with a wide smile. “A toughie to find, but when you look in the right places…” He paused, tapping his nose knowingly and giving her a wink. “Found him in Italy. Travelling abroad. Unfortunately for him, I’ve got no use for the talentless. His survival depends entirely on you.”

My stomach sank as Lauren’s face fell in instant grief. This man to her was who Evan was to me.

This man was Lauren’s soul mate.