Sequel: Devour my Heart
Status: There will be a sequel coming out 1st May 2013 --- I had to finish the story here because the competition deadline is today!

Devour my Soul

Unexpected

I awoke halfway through the night in a cold sweat. Flickers of my dream flashed through the darkness, lighting up the room with a recurring brightness before fading to black. The events of less than twenty-four hours ago plagued my dreams, twisting them in a way that terrified me. Over and over again, the scene would play, different each time but terrifying none the less.

The latest was no different, but by now I realised I wasn’t about to get any rest. By the time I’d recovered from my blackout, I was home and tucked into bed. Vague recollections had surfaced of sea green eyes smiling kindly and worriedly down at me, the gentle purr of Antheon’s presence hummed through my body, and then…

A blush warmed my cheeks as I recalled Evan’s words. The ghost of his kiss pressed into my forehead, tingling with an excited after-affect as he whispered in amusement and regret.

I’m sorry Antheon,” he had said. “But it seems that Ellie is just not interested.

My blush deepened, digging myself deeper into my covers and throwing them dramatically over my head. He’d spoken to Antheon. He’d spoken to my soul. And though I knew it was all Antheon’s doing, I couldn’t help but feel a twinge of anger at Evan for invading my privacy in such a way. Soul mate or not, he had no right. I shivered at the thought that the Soul Reaper had been near me at my most vulnerable, my soul exposed and ripe for the taking, and yet he’d simply tucked me in and left.

Not feeling up to revealing myself to the world just yet, I slithered off the bed, dragging my thick doona with me and feeling snugly like an Eskimo. My bare feet crept across the wooden floorboards, my mind musing at the luckiness over the decision Hayden and I had made about moving in together after the wedding, and then feeling my heart drop into the pit of my stomach at the thought that I may never see him again. Surely such an event would scar our friendship.

I knew where I was headed, knowing I needed a distraction from everything buzzing about in my brain at this time of night. I wasn’t much for break-up ice cream and soppy movies. No, during a tough break-up I didn’t feel like doing anything but curl up on the couch and wallow in self-pity as I gazed sightlessly at the late night channels.

Tonight was one of those nights, and I buried myself deep into the covers until the morning cartoons began to light the morning. My heart was aching after the long night of thinking, my eyes red and sore from hours of crying. I practically lay on a wet patched sofa, but still I didn’t move. My eyes were as wide as they would go, unable to close for fear of my dreams coming back to haunt me.

The sounds of the city finally awakened, bringing me out of my trance as I set about robotically, beginning my weekend the way I never thought I would. I should be in the air right now. I should be on my way to a faraway land, enjoying my newly wedded husband. Instead I lay crumpled and moping in my apartment, wordlessly packing away the few belongings he had stored at my place, a choking sob sticking in my throat.

Perhaps I was being silly. Perhaps there was no need for this at all. Surely Hayden still loved me, and he couldn’t just give up on me so easily, but I had seen truth in his eyes at the church. I couldn’t fill the void in his heart left by Daniella. No one would, and my heart broke at the thought that he might spend the rest of his life alone.

By the time my apartment buzzer sounded, I’d taped up two full boxes and was giving the room another once over before brushing my hands off on my pajama pants and bounding to the incessant noise.

“Hello?” I called into the microphone.

Silence ensued before a gruff voice grumbled through the speaker. “Miss Darling, I’ve been sent to collect Mr Palacino’s belongings.” he stated in a bored tone. Clearly he wasn’t used to being a messenger boy. “May I come in?”

I hesitated only a second, feeling the heavy lump in my throat grow thicker as my heart sank deeper and tears brimmed my eyes. That was it? Hayden was serious, and so serious in fact that he had gone so far as to have his body guard pick up his shit? He was that eager to disappear from my life. It was as if he never cared at all.

“Alright,” I murmured quietly, hoping he hadn’t heard my voice break on the last syllable.

Reluctantly buzzing the man through, I waited patiently by the door, my eye glued to the tiny window as I watched for my guest. Before I knew it, his dark form loomed before my doorway, a large fist of knuckles rapping on the door lightly. I opened it before he could finish, his hand still raised.

I smiled at the giant man engulfing my doorway, intending to appear indifferent and friendly but with my bloodshot eyes and bed-ridden hair, I was sure I looked less than ideal. I was a mess. That much was obvious, and I could practically see the uncomfortable glance the man gave me before I forced my smile even wider and turned to point at the two loaded boxes.

“Right there,” I choked out, instinctively slapping at a sharp prick biting against the side of my neck.

I froze in slight confusion as my fingers brushed something hard blocking the way to my skin, instantly reacting in a highly dramatic fashion as I jumped up, scratching at my neck in an attempt to get it off. Surprisingly, the hard lump was gone, and I turned to the body guard pickup boy in embarrassment, only to see an unfamiliar object dangling loosely between his fingers.

Narrowing my eyes, I tried hard to focus on the object, peering at it intently but seemingly unable to see past the blurriness unfolding before me.

“Wha– ?” I slurred, though I could barely say anymore as I dropped to my hands and knees dizzily.

Before I knew it, my eyes were closed, the feel of rough hands yanked my arms behind my back and held them together with a thin and tight plastic tie. Darkness followed as a bag was wrenched over my head, the material breathing in and out of my mouth as my head sank forward and into my chest. In my hazy state I knew what was happening, but for the life of me, I couldn’t let out a scream. Not a plea for help or prayer for freedom. I was completely and utterly useless as I was hauled to my feet and carried out of my beloved apartment.

I didn’t think that it could, but my life had gotten even worse, and I couldn’t believe my luck this week. First my fiancé dumped me at our wedding, and then I get kidnapped. I suddenly hoped that this was the worst it would get. Because I couldn’t imagine what could happen next.