Status: Complete :)

She tore up the letter and threw it in the fire

She tore up the letter and threw it in the fire

She was sitting on the sofa watching TV. It was late at night and her strict parents wouldn't let her go out at that time. But it's only eight, why wouldn't I go out for a walk? she thought to herself. Yeah, she was extremely bored and didn't know what else to do. I have nothing to do outside in a cold winter night like that, but can I do something more interesting? she thought. She had already seen her favourite movie, "Waiting for forever". She was a hopeless romantic and always believed that true love exists. "No, are you insane? Real love doesn't exist anymore! You shouldn't have a boyfriend, he doesn't really love you!" her father would say when Mary was talking about love. It's not my fault that he's not in love with Mom anymore, I could be in love even though they got a divorce!
Real love exists! she thought while walking into her room. She locked the door behind her, fearing that her strict father would walk in out of the blue. She wanted to sneak out because he wouldn't let her go out. Well, I don't care about what he says! I'm going to go out and find my boyfriend! He doesn't even know I have one! Mary thought, opened her closet and looked through her clothes. They were all jeans and jumpers, because Dad didn't approve the clothes that a girl in Mary's age wears. She didn't have many clothes cause her father said she didn't need more than enough. I wonder if he actually lives in year 2012 like most people do...she thought and giggled. Yeah, it was impossible for her father to live like a normal person with a normal daughter. The way he lives is so obsolete! Mary thought again and put on some blue jeans and a thick red sweater. It was a cold winter night but still she wanted to go out.
Before she could do up her jacket she heard a knock on the door. "Hey, what are you doing in there?" It was her Dad, who was so obnoxious and wanted to know everything. However, Mary wouldn't let him know about her private life, she wasn't stupid so as to tell him she had a boyfriend!
Was she..?
"Oh, Dad! I was sleeping." Mary lied.
"I'm so sorry for waking you up, I was wondering if you are okay." You're wondering a million times a day if I'm okay or not Dad, Mary thought. Luckily she didn't told him what she was thinking of at that moment.
"It's okay Daddy! Good night."
"Good night Mary." her dad said. She walked closer to the locked door, she could hear him walking away and in his bedroom.
Yeah, he's gone! Now I can sneak out! she thought. She was so excitedly, her boyfriend had sent her a message about an hour before or two. Her told her to meet him in the playground and she'd say yes. She loved him so much, she couldn't say no!
She wore her pink Converse sneakers and checked her cell phone to see if she had any messages. Her cell phone was something she'd bought some months ago, when her dad realized that she was old enough to have a mobile phone. At last he figured it out. I'm seventeen, why shouldn't I get myself a cell phone? Mary thought.
She carefully unlocked the door and walked towards her dad's bedroom to make sure he was sleeping, then walked back to her room and locked her bedroom door again. She didn't want to be caught red-handed, did she? She ran to the window and succeeded in opening the window without making any noise. She got out of her room, but left the window open in case she couldn't open it when she'd come back.
She started walking towards the playground that was a block away or two from her house. I should have worn something thicker, it's freezing out here! Next time I'm not going to sneak out at winter, the weather's so cold! Mary thought at the moment she reached the playground.
She looked around. Her boyfriend wasn't there and that was kind of weird. He was always there before she'd be there. If he was going to be late he'd always tell her so as she wouldn't wait for him. She checked her mobile phone to see if she had a message from him. No messages.
Without a second thought she dialed his phone number and called him. I'll be calling him until he picks up the phone! she thought. She was worried about him. What if something bad happened to him?
A minute later she could hear music. Someone's cell phone was ringing. Who's so stupid so as not to have his phone on silent mode at night? she thought to herself and looked around trying to figure out whose mobile phone that was. Oh, it must be his cell phone! she thought. But when he hung up the phone stopped ringing.
"Where are you?" she yelled and looked around one more time. She could hear a boy and a girl talking in whispers.
"Go away, she'll see you!" the boy said. He recognized him from his voice. It was her boyfriend. What was he doing here with a stranger..?
"No! I love you!" the girl whispered to him and then she kissed him.
Mary ran to them, not being sure anymore. Was that guy her boyfriend or not? He couldn't do such thing to me! she thought again.
But what she saw was something she'd never expected. It was her boyfriend. A blonde girl kissed him and he kissed her back, not being aware of the fact that Mary was standing behind him. Mary tried to hide her feelings. No, she wouldn't cry in front of them. Should she? "Let-just let me explain to you-I-" her boyfriend started, but she interrupted him. Actually, she didn't interrupt him. She screamed at him and then slapped him hard across the face. He deserved that, but he didn't deserve her. Now she knew that he wasn't good enough for her.
Now she knew that real love didn't exist...
Dad was right, Mary thought.
He was right, real love doesn't exist! She ran away without saying a word, and her boyfriend was so headless about what just happened that he stayed there making out with the girl he kissed before. So now she was sure he wasn't good enough for her.
Mary got into her room, closed the window and fell on the floor crying her eyes out. She had every right to break down after she discovered that her boyfriend was cheating on her, didn't she? Even though she didn't want to cry about him, she couldn't help it. She couldn't stop crying. She loved him but he didn't. He never loved her but he didn't admit it. It wouldn't make any difference if he would, though. It was too late to feel sorry, he had already hurt her feelings...
Mary put on her earphones and started listening to the music trying to forget him, trying to get over him. It was hard, but she knew he wasn't worthy of her love after what he did. The only thing she wanted to do right now was to listen to The Only Exception by Paramore. It was her favourite song, she knew the lyrics by heart. She thought they were something special because they expressed her feelings.
"I've got a tight grip on reality but I can't
let go of what's in front of me here
I know you're leaving in the morning when you wake up
leaving me with some kind of proof it's not a dream..." Mary sang and started crying again. She turned off her phone because she was sick and tired of him calling her trying to explain to her. But she didn't need any explanation. She knew the truth and that hurt.
She stood up, grabbed a piece of paper and a red pen and wrote a note to her dad:
"I'M SORRY...
REAL LOVE DOESN'T EXIST..."
She left the note on his bedside so as not to wake him up. She didn't want to talk with anyone right now, especially with Dad.
She ran to her room and read a stupid love letter he had written her when they weren't a couple, when they were in love. When he truly loved her. That letter seemed to be so stupid right now, but it was the best birthday gift for her when they were a couple. She couldn't stop wondering how...She read the love letter again:
"Well...I wanted to tell you something, but I was a coward. I couldn't walk to you and just tell you that I'm in love with you! Yes, that's true. I loved you since the day I met you, but I'm sure you don't feel the same. But, I don't mind, that's alright.
If you don't feel the same, then it's okay. Could we stay friends at least..?"
She started crying again. She read the letter one more time, then tore it up and threw it to the fire.
♠ ♠ ♠
Back in grade seven, I had to write a story which sould end with the phrase "She tore up the letter and threw it in the fire" or something similar to that. Recently, I came across this story, and decided to post it here as well :)
So...what do you think? Please leave a comment and let me know :)