Mostro

EIGHT

It's her pick up truck. I can't believe I never noticed it until now. It suits her; sturdy and nothing flashy. The sun has all but set and through the glass door, I can see her sweeping. She glances up every now and again like she can feel my presence. I duck down a little lower.

There was a break in a few towns over. It was a jewelry store. I know I have nothing to worry about, but I can't take any chances. I need her to be safe. Over the next two hours several people go in. I try not to think the worst, but when they come out with bags in their hands and drive away, I sigh in relief.

A few men go in a little before ten. I can't keep still anymore. I parked across the street so she wouldn't think anyone suspicious was sitting in their parking lot.

"Hi, Sebastian," she acknowledges me.

I could die and go to Heaven. We're on a first name basis.

My grin falters when I see the men up close. They're laughing and picking out liquor. They better not talk to her. "So, the usual, or something else this time?" a perfect burnt amber brow arches.

Come on, Seb. You're a quick thinker. "I actually have a sore throat. Do you have lozenges or anything?"

She directs me to the aisle adjacent to the fridge. Perfect. I can keep watch on the baboons. They go up to pay not even ten seconds later. They crack jokes that really aren't funny and laugh boisterously. She asks to see ID and luckily, the transaction goes without incident. They're just exiting the store when I approach her again. I skip the cigarettes this time and stick with the lozenges that I plan to throw away at home.

"Good night, Inez," I'll never tire of saying her name.

"Feel better."