Status: VERY slow updates. Don't read if you're too impatient. Feedback appreciated :)

South Ithilien High School

1 - The First Day of School

(Wendesday, The First Day of School, Strider's POV)


The harsh morning sun was bright in the sky and birds were twittering cheerfully. Strider had finally made it through the high school parking lot traffic and honked at a few freshman blocking his space. They scurried out of the way and he parked, cursing to himself about being awake at this ungodly hour. He stepped out of the car and joined the ever growing crowd of students filing inside, and then started searching for a familiar blonde head. His obscene height helped him see over the heads of students, but he was disappointed with the lack of blondes. Instead he found himself making a bee-line for the band room. Just as he had hoped, he found Legolas sitting at a table covered in hand-written sheet music, looking puzzled. Strider sat down next to his friend and yawned.

"Good morning, Estel," Legolas said, glancing over at this friend. Strider raised an eyebrow. "Sorry, Strider." Strider grinned and pulled Legolas into a tight embrace, scattering some of the pages onto the floor.

"It's good to see you, my friend."

"Strider!" Legolas cried. "Let me go!" he struggled to free himself. Strider chuckled and set the elf back down on his feet.

"Oh, lighten up," He kneeled down and helped Legolas scoop up the fallen papers. "What are these, anyway?" Legolas snatched them away.

"Nothing! Just a song." He looked away and the tips of his ears reddened slightly. Strider raised an eyebrow but didn't question him further. The bell rang, making Strider jump, and Legolas gathered up his papers before they left the band room to go to homeroom next door in the choir room. They sat down at their usual desks and waited for Ms. Pedeare to walk in.

"Hello again, everyone!" Ms. Pedeare said cheerfully. "I know you're all tired because it's the first day of school, but at least pretend to be happy to see me. Did you all have a good summer?" There was a collective groan from everyone in the room and she laughed. "Good to know." She began to chat with one of the other boys in the room about his summer vacation.

Strider laid his head down on the desk and allowed himself to slowly drift off.

"Estel?" He was roused by his teacher's voice doing roll call. He sat up and mussed his hair, then stifled a yawn

"I go by Strider now, thanks." Ms. Pedeare shrugged and made a small note on her papers. She finished up just as the bell rang and everyone scurried out of the room.

The first half of the day Strider spent suffering through the usual first day lectures, and by the time lunch came around he was ready to go home. He impatiently went through the lunch line and then rejoined Legolas, who was waiting for him at their usual table. Legolas smiled, but before he could greet his friend, Boromir plopped down on Strider's left.

"Hey guys! What's up in the hizzay?!" Boromir popped a chicken nugget in his mouth and grinned.

"Good afternoon, Boromir," Legolas said, shaking his head in amusement.

"Sup guys?" A blonde elf girl also sat down and started munching away on her own chicken nuggets. She was the last, and youngest member of their lunch group.

"Eldarwen, how can you eat chicken like that?" Legolas asked, appalled.

"Not ALL elves are vegan, ya know," Eldarwen replied through a mouthful of the meat.

"So, how's your day been?" Legolas looked up at his friends. Boromir grinned.

"Mine has been pretty good!" Eldarwen nodded in agreement.

"It's been alright." They all looked at Strider who groaned and put his head on the table.

"I just want it to end..." He glanced up at the clock. "I think our school day is too long." Legolas chuckled, but Eldarwen and Boromir nodded in agreement. Suddenly half of the student population turned to stare at the lunch room door, Strider among them. Legolas rolled his eyes and resumed talking to Boromir and Eldarwen. Arwen Undomiel had just entered the lunch room, and every boy's eyes were on her. She smiled at Strider as she walked by and he blushed. Once she was seated, the regular chatter returned. Eldarwen turned to Strider and winked.

"Looks like someone wants some Strider action." Boromir high-fived him and Legolas stabbed at his salad angrily. After that, lunch was mostly quiet. Finally the bell rang and everyone pushed their way out the door, separating once again for homeroom. Legolas followed Strider to his locker, slightly agitated that his friend had gawked at Arwen. Strider twiddled with the combo lock before finally noticing the look on his friend's face.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Hurry up, we have to get to health." Strider rolled his eyes. Health had been Legolas' idea, but nevertheless he hurriedly shoved his newly acquired books in the locker and followed his friend to class. As predicted, Ms. Hilse started off the class with a lecture of rules, expectations and materials to bring to class daily. Strider was near the back of the room, carefully drawing in his sketchbook and willing himself not to fall asleep.

"Alright class, I want you to read chapter four, section three in your books." Strider groaned quietly and flipped open the book. Luckily he was a fast reader and got through it in a few minutes. The room was silent except for the scratching of pencils. He opened his sketchbook again and continued drawing, barely noticing when the teacher began speaking again.

"Strider!" He jumped and looked up. "What are the signs of an abusive relationship?" He blinked. This is so stupid...

"Threats, isolation, blaming and denying, emotional, sexual, physical, economic and controlling," he listed easily, returning his attention to the last detail of his drawing. She opened her mouth, but the bell rang. Strider shoved the drawing of Legolas into his back pack before anyone could see and hurried out the door. Legolas caught up with him and they walked outside to The Courtyard where they ran into the hobbits. As soon as the hobbits spotted them they ran over and hugged their legs tightly, almost knocking the two to the ground.

"Legolas! Strider! It's so wonderful to see you!" Frodo cried from around Strider's legs. Strider and Legolas laughed at the small hobbits. Pippin released Strider's legs and looked up at him seriously.

"I'm still going to get revenge for that prank last year, so watch your back." Strider laughed and ruffled his hair.

"Of course you are, Pip."

"I am!" the hobbit cried indignantly. Strider chuckled.

"We'll catch you later. We have to get going." Strider gestured for Legolas to follow him.

"Wait! Legolas! Waiiiit!" Mr. Billoufourte, the band teacher, was running over to them gasping and holding his sides.

"Yes, sir?"

"We have a last minute audition for Select Band and I really need you to stay after," he said after he caught his breath.

"Oh, a flute player?" Legolas looked at Strider. "This will only take about half an hour. Is that alright?" Strider shrugged.

"Sure, why not?" Mr. Billoufourte smiled gratefully and led them back upstairs to the band room. A girl was standing in the center of the room where Mr. Billoufourte would normally stand, playing with one of her braids nervously. She smiled at them shyly as they sat in the chairs arranged in a semi circle next to a man Strider assumed was her father. Legolas smiled at her reassuringly.
"Hi, I'm Legolas. I'm the flute section leader for Select Band."

"Hi." Her voice was soft, barely above a whisper. "I'm Isilwen."

"Why don't you start with the Circle of Fifths?" Legolas suggested. Strider was already confused, but the girl started playing a series of scales. After the third one he started getting bored. She squeaked once, and she trembled nervously. Once she finished Legolas told her to play the audition piece. Strider looked over his shoulder to see what he was writing. He didn't know what anything written there meant. Finally Legolas told her to play the last piece, one she had prepared on her own. Strider slumped in his chair, no longer trying to follow what was going on. To his surprise he recognized the song, though he didn't know the name or how he knew it. When she finished Legolas smiled.

"Great job! You're in Select Band... and you will be the second chair first flute."

"What was that last song you played?" Strider spoke up suddenly. She looked over, somewhat surprised.

"Oh, um... That was the national anthem of Gondor," she replied as she packed her flute away.

"I'll see you later, Isilwen," Legolas smiled.

Finally... Strider thought as they walked out the school doors for the second time that day. They climbed into his car and he turned on the radio for the short ride back to his apartment. Strider had barely closed the front door behind them when Legolas jumped on him, smashing their lips together. He pulled away a few minutes later.

"I missed you, Estel. Next time you get a summer job, get one closer to me." Strider chuckled.

"Of course. Anything for you, Legolas..."
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter is going to be lonely for a while. Any feed back will be appreciated. Yes, Legolas plays flute. Yes, I'm a music nerd. No, you cannot make band camp jokes or make fun of me in any way. Oh, and yes, Strider and Legolas have a thing. Don't like, don't read. :P