Status: VERY slow updates. Don't read if you're too impatient. Feedback appreciated :)

South Ithilien High School

10.1 - Homecoming - Part One

It was finally homecoming night. Usually I caught a ride with my friends, but since I had a 'date', she insisted that I pick her up instead because she didn't want to ride with my friends. Not that I CHOSE to bring her as my date - I'd rather be with Strider - but it was expected of me. Besides, Strider already had a date. The thought made my stomach clench up with knots.

I finished getting ready and sighed. I'd rather ride with my friends. Alatariel was absolutely horrid. I knew Eldarwen and Isilwen were riding with Boromir, Merry and Pippin. No doubt the others were going with their dates. Not fake dates like mine, but people they WANTED to be with. Just like I wanted to be with Strider. I sighed again and went downstairs. I said a brief goodbye to my father and headed to Alatariel's house to pick her up. Of course, as expected, she looked beautiful, but the beauty meant nothing when it was accompanied by a horrible personality. I didn't bother getting out of the car to meet her at the door, or open her door, but she waited expectantly. Finally she got into the car with a huff and slammed the door angrily. We rode to the dance in silence. I was certain by now that she knew I did not like her, I had no interest in her, nor would I ever. We got to the school and made our way to the gym where the dance was set up, and I instantly started searching for my friends. Alatariel scoffed.

"Um, WHAT are you doing?" she asked, hands on her hips. I stared at her.

"I'm looking for my friends," I said slowly. "You know, the people I actually WANT to be with."

"Well, you're not dancing with them. I don't like them," she snapped. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Yes, of course. Whatever you want, dearest," I said, barely trying to hide the sarcasm dripping from my lips. She grabbed my arm and dragged me out to the dance floor. Her grip on me was tight, and she looked very smug about being with me, despite the fact that I was looking around for any way to escape her hold. Unfortunately, every time I'd look up, Arwen and Strider were there, laughing and dancing and having the time of their lives. I sighed and returned my attention to the horrible beauty in front of me for the rest of the upbeat songs. I didn't say a single word to her. By the time the slow songs had started, I had managed to wrench myself free from her and went to sit at one of the many tables around the sides of the room with some punch. I was pretty sure it had been spiked, but right now I really didn't care. I just wanted to be away from Alatariel, and if being drunk was the only way to accomplish it, I would gladly accept the consequences of my actions

Of course, just my luck, Arwen and Strider decided it would be fun to dance a mere ten feet away from my table. Strider seemed to be having Sa hard time holding onto Arwen. She was giggling too much and stumbling; it appeared she had drank too much of the punch. Strider laughed and caught her as she stumbled, holding her close as the slow songs started. He seemed to be having a good time. I realized I had been staring for too long just as Strider caught my gaze. His smile fell and was replaced with a guilt-stricken expression until Arwen captured his lips in her own playfully. I sighed and set my head in my arms. The soft strains of love songs sent pangs through my chest and I blinked away tears. I wish I had stayed home. If I couldn't be with Strider, I would rather be alone. I was briefly brought from my thoughts when Boromir sat down, looking just as dejected as I felt, but I didn't bother asking. All I could do was wonder why I wasn't good enough for Strider.