Status: VERY slow updates. Don't read if you're too impatient. Feedback appreciated :)

South Ithilien High School

14 - Courage

Legolas' POV

I took a deep breath before heading downstairs to my father's study. I knocked on the door quickly before I gave myself the chance to change my mind and put off telling him. My hands were clenched into tight fists by my sides. They had already begun to sweat and I hadn't even looked my father in the eyes yet.

"Enter." My father's voice floated through the door. I pushed it open and stepped into the round room. He set the quill down after a moment and looked up at me. "Legolas," he smiled and gestured to the seat on the other side of his desk.

"Father... I... there's something I need to talk to you about," I said as I hesitantly sat down. He gave me a kind but serious smile.

"Of course. Anything for you, my son. What's troubling you?" he folded his hands together in front of him; every ounce of his position screamed regality. He frowned when he noticed my pale, sweaty composure and reached across the desk to gently feel my forehead. "You aren't sick are you?"

"No... I'm not sick," I said. I took a deep breath. "I... I just wanted to tell you... I don't want to marry Alatariel." His reaction was worse than what I had imagined.

"What?!" He stood up quickly. "You're a PRINCE! It's your duty to marry to royalty! Lady Alatariel is everything you could expect from a royal and she has graciously accepted your hand upon my request! It's your duty to your people, your crown, and to ME!" he said angrily.

"But.. father, I can't marry her... I'm g-"

"You are a disappointment! A disgrace to your family and your kingdom, Legolas! If you cannot do this simple task I am asking of you, then you don't deserve to be a prince!" His words felt like a sharp slap to the face. I didn't say a word as I packed my bags and packed them into my car. I went into the foyer to grab the last one. My father was standing in the doorway. "Why can't you marry her?! I don't think it's such a ridiculous request!" he said angrily.

"Because I'm GAY!" I screamed and slammed the door behind me. I had just caught his shocked and guilty expression before the door had shut. I got into my car and drove away quickly. I went to the only logical place I could think of: Isilwen's house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Legolas :(