Status: VERY slow updates. Don't read if you're too impatient. Feedback appreciated :)

South Ithilien High School

18 - Coming Out

(Legolas' POV)


I was called out of my class around 10:30 to go to Mr. Gandalf's office. I grabbed my things quickly and ignored Strider's questioning look. I had a feeling that this meeting was going to be about Isilwen. Boromir had been upset yesterday after lunch. Mr. Gandalf's office door was open, so I let myself in and sat down across from his desk.

"So... why did you call me down?" I asked hesitantly.

"Another one of your friends was just in here. He expressed some concern about Isilwen. Do you know what might have happened with her?" Mr. Gandalf regarded me patiently. I sighed.

"Not really... she just ran out of her house screaming at me to go when I went to pick her up on Saturday. She said he hit her, but... I didn't actually see anything. Not that she would lie about that," I added quickly. "I just don't have any proof." Mr. Gandalf nodded serenely.

"Alright... that's not the only reason I called you here today, though. I wanted to know if you have taken my advice yet."

"Oh... yeah, I told my father a few weeks ago," Legolas said glumly. "He got mad at me, so I've moved in with Isilwen for a little while... but I'm planning on coming out to my friends today."

"I'm sorry to hear about your father... but I'm proud of you. That took a lot of courage, Legolas. I'm sure your friends will be more accepting than your father. I'm surprised that King Thranduil got angry with you though."

"Well... that's not exactly why he was angry... he was mad because I told him I didn't want to marry Alatariel. He didn't let me finish... I kind of yelled it at him before I left," I said, a little ashamed.

"Oh... I see. Have you talked to him since?" Gandalf asked, looking at me with wise, crinkled eyes.

"Yeah... he called a few days ago. I'm going home on Saturday... he wanted to talk to me," Legolas said.

"That's a good sign, isn't it?" Gandalf asked.

"I don't know... I hope so. I miss Papa." Gandalf gave me a kind smile.

"I'm sure everything will work out for you, Legolas. Your father loves you very much..." the lunch bell rang. "Oh, you better get going. My office is always open to you." I nodded and picked up my bag, then left.

By the time I got into the cafeteria, the others were already seated as normal. I smiled and sat down next to Strider and Eldarwen. They were chatting and laughing happily. No one seemed to be tense or angry anymore, which was a good sign for me.

"Guys?" I said. They all turned to look at me.

"What's up?" Eldarwen asked, eating some chips.

"I have something important I need to tell you," I said. I really hoped they would still be my friends afterwards. Once I had their attention I cleared my throat awkwardly. "I... I'm gay." Their reactions weren't what I was expecting.

"Okay," Boromir shrugged, popping a fish stick into his mouth and munching away happily.

"Oh, you're coming out?" Eldarwen smiled brightly. "Well... congratulations! Is that something people congratulate?" she asked. She thought about it while she ate some more chips. I turned to Strider. He kind of knew, but he still looked slightly surprised.

"I thought you were bi," he stated. I shook my head. "Oh. Well, that took some courage," he smiled. "I'm glad you told us." He too returned to his previous conversations with the others. I smiled happily as we talked and laughed. I was glad that nothing had changed between us. I let out a sigh of relief. My friends were the best.

~~~~


It was after school when I mentioned my intention to tell Gimli and the hobbits as well. The others all insisted on going with me to meet up with them. We found Merry and Pippin eating mushrooms in the courtyard. Frodo was with them, holding hands with Primrose. Sam was talking quietly with Rosie. Gimli had just said goodbye to Doriff when he joined our large group. I didn't hesitate this time.

"Guys? Can I tell you something?"

Merry and Pippin set down their mushrooms and the others quieted when they looked at me. I didn't hesitate this time. I knew they would be just as supportive as the rest of them.

"I've finally decided to come out... I'm gay." The hobbits just smiled and nodded. They didn't seem surprised at all. Gimli just started laughing. "What?" I looked at him, offended.

"Nothing, laddie! It's just... that wasn't much of a secret," he chuckled good naturedly and patted my arm. I blushed.

"Yes it was!" I crossed my arms. He raised a big, bushy eyebrow at me.

"I distinctly remember you dragging Isilwen off to the bathroom to do her hair a few weeks ago. It wasn't much of a secret," he smiled. I had to laugh at that.

"Okay, okay, I get it," I smiled.

"Alright, well, now that that's out of the way..." Strider said. I blinked and turned to look at him. "Legolas... go out with me?" he asked hopefully. I stared at him in disbelief for a minute before snapping out of it.

"Yes, of course!" I smiled. He smiled back and hugged me tight while everyone 'awww'ed and cooed.
♠ ♠ ♠
FINALLY!