Status: VERY slow updates. Don't read if you're too impatient. Feedback appreciated :)

South Ithilien High School

4 - To Set Up A Friend

(Eldarwen's POV)
(Thursday)


I had been talking to Isilwen before Boromir interrupted, but luckily his brother had come back over so we could finish our conversation.

"So, are you going to homecoming?" I asked as I munched on a chicken nugget. Isilwen shrugged.

"It seems like the rest of you are, so I guess so," Isilwen replied. "Do you have a date?"

"No," I replied. "I go to hang out anyway. We all go as a group every year, except for Gimli. He's 'too manly' for dances," I said, using air quotes. Then I gasped. I had an idea!

"What?" Isilwen asked. "What?" she insisted.

"I’m going to set up Gimli. Then he'll HAVE to come with us!" I said excitedly. Isilwen laughed.
"Gimli with a date? That's so cute! Do it!"

"I will! As soon as I find a dwarf woman…"

"Do you want to go shopping Saturday, since we're going to the dance? My dad is awkward to shop with alone," Isilwen asked.

"Sure." We grabbed our bags and headed out the cafeteria door as the bell rang.

~~~~

School was finally over, and I was outside, trying to spot a dwarf woman. I had never seen one, but they couldn't be THAT hard to find, right? I walked over to a large group of elves. They all looked confused as they watched me approach.

"Excuse me," I said, getting their attention. "I was just wondering if any of you happened to know any dwarf women. I'm trying to set up a friend for homecoming, you see, and I don't know any dwarf women." They stared at me. The tallest of them, a brunette male elf, blinked.

"We don't associate with dwarves," he said coldly, then turned away.

"Someone has an attitude!" I said loudly as I stalked away from them angrily. I spotted Boromir and walked over to him. He was doing some odd little happy dance over near the parking lot. He didn't seem to notice my approach, so I folded my arms and decided to watch him dance. It was rather amusing. His eyes widened when he turned and saw me standing there, his cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

"Uh…. Hey! What's up, Eldarwen?" he asked. He brushed his hair from his eyes and tried to act casual.

"Hey Boromir," I laughed. "I am on a search for some dwarf women, and so far I'm having no luck."

"Oh! Well… what about Doriff?" Boromir asked. "Gimli talks about her a lot. She's supposed to be a very pretty dwarf maiden, if I'm not mistaken."

"Awww, Gimli has a crush!" I cooed. "Sorry. Can you point her out to me?" He pointed to a dwarf with a nicely braided beard.

"That's her," he said.

"But… she has a- oh whatever. If Gimli thinks she's pretty, that's good enough for me!" I walked over to her and introduced myself. "Hi, Doriff! My name is Eldarwen. I have a friend who thinks you're really pretty but he is too shy to ask you to homecoming. Perhaps you know him. His name is Gimli."

"Gimli? Gimli wants to go to homecoming with me?" she asked. I nodded.

"Yes he does. He thinks you're the prettiest dwarf he's ever seen," I said. She squealed happily. It was a little disconcerting to hear that high a voice coming out of so masculine a person.

"I would love to! Here," she wrote her number down on a piece of paper. "Tell him to call me!" She walked away with her friends, giggling. I ran back over to Boromir.

"I got Gimli a date!" I said excitedly.

"Maybe he'll go this year," Boromir chuckled. "I'll catch you later, Eldarwen." He waved and walked away. I spotted Gimli and ran over.

"GIMLIIIII! I GOT YOU A DATE FOR HOMECOOOOMIIIING!" I yelled. I got half the Courtyard's attention. Gimli sighed when I approached.

"Aye, Lassie. You're going to be the death of me," he said.

"I got you a date!" I handed him the number and smiled hugely when he blushed.

"Why… Doriff is the fairest maiden I have ever laid me eyes on," he said. "I guess I will go to Homecoming this year, even if it is just an excuse for the elves to dress all fancy." I grinned.

"It will be fun!" I promised as my dad pulled up. I got in the car and waved goodbye to him.

Mission: Accomplished.