Status: VERY slow updates. Don't read if you're too impatient. Feedback appreciated :)

South Ithilien High School

8 - Expectations

(Legolas' POV)

(Sunday)


Since I got home yesterday, I've been locked in my room. My father has tried to get me to come out, but I've been ignoring everyone and everything trying to get my attention. I just wanted some time to think, which was surprisingly hard to come by as a Mirkwood prince. I still couldn't believe what I had seen. Strider kissing Arwen? As cliché as it sounds, I thought we had something special. I buried my face in my pillow and ignored my phone as it buzzed on my nightstand. Strider had been texting me all night. As if I'd give him the time of day after that display! After the fifth buzz I couldn't take it, and I threw the phone across the room. It bounced off the wall and clattered to the floor. It buzzed again and I flopped onto my pillow. I let out a frustrated scream, only muffled by my pillow. I rubbed the tears from my eyes at the knock on my door.

"What?" I asked, voice hoarse.

"Can I come in?" my father's voice, King Thranduil, floated through the door.

"I don't care," I said, burying my face in my pillow. The door opened and he sat on the edge
of my bed.

"Legolas," he said softly as he placed his hand on my head affectionately. "You seem upset. Are you okay, son?"

"I'm fine, Papa," I rubbed my eyes. He smiled softly.

"I have great news. I've found you a fiancee!" he said excitedly. "She's beautiful, and very sweet. Her name is Alatariel. She's coming to dinner tonight for you to meet her," he said.

"Okay," I sighed. "That's nice. It's not like I'm dating anyone anyway," my voice broke. My father frowned and rubbed my back. "Do I have to meet her?"

"Yes. Are you sure that there's nothing wrong?" he asked.

"I'm sure, Papa..."

"Alright," he kissed my head. "I'll send up a servant to call you for dinner. Be ready by seven." He left. It was rare for him to be so open with his affection, but there was no one else around and he could tell I was upset. I sighed and retrieved my phone from the floor and check the time. I had a half hour, so I started getting ready.

Right on cue, a servant knocked on my door ten minutes to seven. I sighed and checked my reflection in the mirror before I went downstairs. My father was already entertaining our three guests. My fiancee, Alatariel, was indeed beautiful, but there was something about her I didn't like. While my father talked to them, she smiled and feigned interest, but I could tell it was fake. And the way she kept staring at me was uncomfortable as well. When my father finally noticed that she wasn't looking at him, he turned and smiled.

"Come, my son, dinner is almost ready. Let us go to the dining hall." King Thranduil led us into the other room.

The table was set, and the candles were lit. Our parents all clustered together and left me to sit across from Alatariel. She batted her eyes at me sweetly.

"Prince Legolas, you look handsome this evening," she smiled. I nodded my thanks and didn't bother returning the compliment. After all, she was just fishing for them. "Is something wrong?" she asked after a minute of silence.

"No." The answer was brusque.

"Are you suuuure?" she twirled her hair around her finger and giggled. "You seem... troubled. Is there anything I can do... to help?" she purred suggestively. I pushed my chair away and stood.

"Legolas? Where are you going?" my father asked, frowning. There was no way I was getting out of this marriage. At least, not without coming out to my father and I just couldn't bring myself to disappoint him. I needed some air.

"I am not feeling well tonight, Father. I think it'd be best if I go lay down for a while."

"Well... alright. I'll send a servant with some tea," he said, dismissing me. I bowed to him and exited. Instead of going to my room, I grabbed my flute and headed out to my private garden to clear my mind and think.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just in time for Hobbit Day, and up for Tolkien Week here on mibba! Good timing on my part, hmmm?