Status: One and Done~~

Don't Forget Me. (Red)

She walked through her favorite place downtown. The place she always went to clear her mind, a big reason why she had gone there a lot recently. As the date approached closer, so did the memories she had been trying to forget.

She missed him. A whole fucking lot. Everyone knew it too. She always tried to act happy when he was brought up, but everyone knew the truth. She was a wreck and she hated it.

He was never supposed to mean this much. He was never supposed to affect her this much. She let herself fall for his stupid eyes and his stupid smile and the stupid way he kissed her whenever she yelled at him. “Friends with benefits” was the alleged description of their relationship, but she let it become so much more and she hated herself for it.

She knew that he’s probably already forgotten about her while she was her. Stuck in the city with the memories. She clutched the locket he gave her before he left and dug through her pocket to find the letter he left. With unsteady hands she read over it.

Caroline,

Don’t forget me. I’ll miss you. Be safe.

Your ‘friend’,

Jordan

Every time she read it she couldn’t help but feel angry. It made her feel like she was nothing more than a girl to screw. It mocked her. I made her remember how stupid she was for thinking he actually cared about her in the first place. So many times she wanted to burn it, but she couldn’t. She was pathetic and powerless to her heart.

She quietly listened to the radio while driving home. “And the Penguins have a big game coming up to end the regular season before heading into playoffs. They take on the Carolina Hurricanes who have been really pushing for that beauty of an 8th seed spot for the playoffs. Look for them to not go down quietly. What’s also interesting about this game is that familiar face returning to the Steel City since being traded Jordan St-“ she quickly switched off the radio; driving home the rest of the way in silence. She had four days to prepare herself, she didn’t need the reminder.

Every day he regretted what he wrote in the letter. He was scared and did what any young and scared boy in love did; he ran. He was caught in a balancing act between handling the pressure of being traded and the pressure of “being in love.” He didn’t know what to do, so he turtled. He wrote the shittiest note he could think of and stuck it in her mailbox. He never even said goodbye. He was afraid if he did then he wouldn’t have left.

Eric looked at his brother with concern, seeing his brother in a lovesick pain didn’t sit well with him. He hated seeing his baby brother miserable. He knew going back to Pittsburgh would already be hard, but he didn’t know how to help. He just gave Jordan a look of understanding and left him alone.

He had four days to prepare himself; surely he could deal with it. I mean, they weren’t even a ‘couple’ they were two friends who saw each other naked every once in a while. A lot of people he knew did it without consequences; so he thought he could too. If only he knew how wrong he actually was. He packed for the trip and made it his mission to fix it.

The day before April 27th she didn’t know what to do. She knew he was here already and he was probably enjoying himself with his teammates and revisiting all his old places. She bet he was out having a fucking grand old time getting loose before the game tomorrow. She heard a faint knock at her door and froze.

It couldn’t be…

She looked through the peephole and her knuckles turned white and goose bumps of the unpleasant kind raised her skin. He knocked again and she smiled. He was always so persistent. She swallowed her pride and opened it. He stood there in a well-tailored suit that would make any girl in a five mile radius lose their clothes. I tried to keep steady as he gave me a weak and nervous smile. She wordlessly let him in.

“Not much has changed.” He observed.

“I’m not one for change.” She said back, fiddling with her locket. He noticed it and grabbed it also.

“I can see that.” He breathed; she attempted to keep her gaze anywhere but his face.

“Why are you here.” She asked sharply. He shrugged off her harsh tone and put a piece of hair behind her head. She closed her eyes at his touch. She was desperate to hold her ground. He wasn’t going to get forgiven that easily. She gently swatted his hand away and created space between them.

“I miss you.” He said quietly. “I regret everthing.” He said.

Ouch.

“Everything.” She repeated, hoping he would catch the annoyance. “As in us?” she accused.

“NO! no. I regret the letter, the way we didn’t say goodye. Not telling you I-“ he started, but quickly stopped and turned away from her. She couldn’t possibly think he was about to say the four little letters that she wanted him to say for a long time. Jordan didn’t “love” he fucked.

“Telling me what?” nevertheless, she wanted to hear the answer. He didn’t respond with words, he responded with his lips crashing onto hers. The kiss was sweet and sexy and left both of them wanting much more. She broke the kiss and looked at him with passion that she thought she wouldn’t feel again.

“I love you, Caroline.” Jordan said so low that it came out scratchy and rough; leaving her breathless.

She didn’t respond with an “I love you too.” But Jordan knew; he always did. And he was satisfied. He gave her one last kiss before heading to the door. Before he left he turned to Caroline, who had a devilish smile blossom onto her face, and returned it.

“See you tomorrow.” He said with a smirk that sent Caroline into a cold shower.