Status: To be updated slowly

Amber Eyed Angel

Home surprises and mortal weaknesses

He sat eating his food, she did not eat, but he chose to ignore her actions. When he had finished she started to clean up the kitchen. She started walking out of the kitchen.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

She flinched away from him.

“”I just want to clean up my room.” She replied hesitantly.

“Did you ask my permission to leave my presence?” It was time she learned to be dependent on him for all her actions. He watched her shiver at the coldness of his voice.

She only shook her head.

“May I go to my room and clean it?” She asked softly.

“Go, but do not take long, when you are finished come to me in the living room.” He dismissed here, moving passed her and going towards the sitting room. He waited for her to move to her room andthen turned himself invisible and moved to the room too.

She was sitting on the bed, shoulders slumped. He watched her frowning. She was not doing what she hd said. How easy the lies fell from her lips.

She sighed and got up slowly, making the bed and then moved around putting everything in order. He knew that she was stalling. Finally she took a deep breath and moved towards the door.

He transported himself to his chair and picked up his spell book. He ignored her when she came in, pretending to not notice her. He watched her sureptitiously and sensed her discomfort, but waited wanting to know what se would do.

She just waited, her gaze trained on nothing.

He finally ackowledged her and she gave a soft sighh of relief.

“You may get your book and sit at my feet.” He instructed. He would show her where her place was.

He saw a brief flash of anger that made her eyes spark. He looked at her directly, he would not coddle her, she would learn to listen. He saw her swallow whatever she wanted to say and nod her head. She finally settled in front of him with her back to him. She hed hersef stiff and he could see that she couldn't seem to find a comfortable position. Finally she settled down and picked up her book.

He settled back and lost himself in the spellbook. Every now and then he would let his gaze linger on her back.

Although he felt fully justified in his actions towards her he still had this overwelming need to reach out to her and comfort her. He struggled against it, hardening himself. He would not be ruled by anyone much less a mere mortal.

He let his mind leave, going to Asgard. He stepped in front of the doppelganger, focussing on the link between them. He still needed to find out whether there was anything wrong with the connection between them. He could not believe all that he had heard so far. He could find nothing wrong. He left and went to his room.

He missed this place. It had been his sanctuary and refuge. Here were all his books and countless hours had been spent in study. Many a mischief had been contemplated here.

This was the only home he knew and dispite what everyone thought of him, he loved it. He regretted some of his actions but throught all that he had done he had never done anything that had truly endangered the realm.

He had only wanted all of their acceptance, why could the not give him the same respect as Thor?

The door opened and he looked up with a frown. Who would enter his room? He was surprised to find his personal maid entering. Why would she be here? Was she going to steal from him? With her was another maid.

“Milla, why are we here?” The other maid asked.

“I just want to clean the room and make sure that everything is as Prince Loki would like it.”

Her words surprised him, he had not been unkind to her, but still he had not been kind to the girl either. She always did her best and he had to admit that she always did as he asked and made sure that he had all that he needed before he could even ask for it.

“Why? The Prince is a criminal and he never had a kind word for you. He will not be returning to this room and even should he return, why should you care? He is evil, he enjoyed frightening the servants. He deserves to be punished and stripped of his title if you ask me.”

“That is not true Calis! You do not understand the Prince. He is royalty and it is not seemly for him to give praise to servants. This is our duty and should be done for that alone. It is enough that they cloth us and give us a home.”

The maid called Calis just gave her a disbelieving look

“We do not know what stresses and thoughts are on a Princes mind, we cannot judge him for we know not the whole truth. He may not have praised me, but he never abused me and treated me far better than many others did.”

“That I find hard to believe.” Calis snorted.

He found that he sorely disliked this maid and had he been there he would have put her in her place.
Milla just shook her head.

“Believe what you like, but he is not as bad as everyone says he is. He was never treated as he should be, people treated him badly and scorned him. I cannot give much, but I respect him for what he is, a Prince of the Realm and the son of Odin Allfather.”

“You are a strange one Milla, do you love him?”

“Not in the way you mean. I have seen him at his studies and he has always listened to the All Father when he instructed them on tactics and such. He is our greatest Sorcerer and yet no one will acknowledge that, he has spent more time in acquiring those skills than any warrior does on his skill, not only that but he is accomplished in battle as well and yet no one sees that. It must have been so dificult to constantly be compared to another and be found lacking.” She sighed.

“Yes I care for him as I would for a family member. If you do not want to be here leave. I will keep this place for his return, I know he will return and I will not have him return to a neglected room. I would have him know that there is still someone here who respects him.”

“You are a fool to hold such sentiment, even if he returns he will not care for your silly sentiments. He will never even notice the care you have taken.”

The younger maid left in huff and Milla moved around the room cleaning away any dust that may have gathered. He was strangely touched by her devotion and trust in him. How had this servant who he had given scant attention to feel such devotion to him?

Finally she was finished and moved to the doors, but turned back before exiting.

“Please come home soon your highness, I for one miss the mischief that you come up with, it was often a highpoint for me and the ones you practiced it upon more often than not deserved it.” She whisperered and then left.

Her simple words warmed his heart and gave him something to think about. He had not realized that there may be people who saw him and cared for him. That the one who seemed to understand him so was but a servant was of even greater surprise to him.

He had always thought that they held nothing but fear and dislike for him.

He returned to his body and immediately felt that something was wrong.

The room was cold and there was a pressure against his lower legs. He looked down with a frown to see Angel leaning against his legs, she was shivering and her lips had a slight blue tinge to them.

He leaned down and touched her shoulder, she was cold, icy cold. It was only then that he noticed how cold the room had become. His Frost Giant heritage prevented him from feeling the cold but he realized that with her lack of both clothing and movement she was slowly freezing.

He cursed his lack of attention, mortals were so weak. He had been away for longer than he had realized he should have been paying more attention.

“Angel, you may get up.” He said as he gently shook her by the shoulder.

She did not move. He started to get worried. Surely she could not be so cold?

He got up careful not to let her fall and hunkered down next to her. Her breathing was shallow and she was deathly pale with a bluish tint to her skin.

This was definitely not good. He realized that she was actually suffering from hypothermia and he once again cursed mortal weakness. He picked her up and although she opened her eyes there was no recognition in them.

He didn't understand the feeling of fear that shot through him. He did not want to loose her, he would not. This was not what he wanted at all.

She was his and he would not allow death to take her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update. Hope you enjoy.