Status: To be updated slowly

Amber Eyed Angel

Chapter 24 - Out on the town

He led her out of her home. She reached out for his hand and he allowed her to hold it. It seemed right that she should do so. She was most definitely more comfortable with him and he was enjoying it.

“I think it’s time that you show me more of this realm.” He told her.

“Then I will take you to a cafe in the town centre, well close to the town centre. There are areas that are still off limits due to the damage.”

He nodded his acceptance and she once again procured a transport for them. They were silent, but it was not an uncomfortable silence. He was amazed at the resourcefulness of the mortals. It had not been more than two weeks and everything seemed to be back to normal.

People were moving about their business as if his invasion had not happened at all. As they drew closer to the centre of town he noticed more signs of his failed venture, but even that was swiftly being rectified.

Workers were busy with repairs as most of the debris had been removed.

These mortals were truly like ants; they took everything in stride and carried on. He wasn’t sure that it was a weakness, but more a sign of their mortality. Life for them was just too short to hang on to despair; they had no time to linger on the negative. Life carried on for them and would be over all too swiftly.

“I'm afraid I'll have to drop you here Miss.” The driver said. “Only foot traffic is allowed beyond this point.
They're still clearing the streets.”

“That's fine; we'll be able to walk from here.”

The vehicle came to a stop and Angel paid the driver. He got out first and gave her his hand in order to assist her. She took it with a small smile and he was once again struck by how much her moods were reflected in her eyes. He found that he often didn’t have to dip into her thoughts to know how she felt; it was all clearly displayed in her eyes.

“You seem very happy today.” He noted.

“I am, it’s a wonderful day and we are out and about. I like my home, but I often wander around or go to the park to read. Sometimes I just like to sit and watch what others are up to. My home is my sanctuary, but even a sanctuary can become stifling.” She replied.

“Especially when your sanctuary has been invaded by a monster.” He remarked.

He could see the shock in her eyes and then guilt. The shock he could understand but not the guilt. What had she to feel guilty for? His thoughts immediately tried to think of what she was hiding.

“I’m sorry Loki, I did not mean to say that you were stifling me. I simply meant it as a general observation. I would often feel like this even before you came to my home.” Her reply was sincere.

He fought against the smile that wanted to make an appearance. He had invaded her home and her life. He had threatened her and was currently holding her against her will. He was controling her life to the point where he was even deciding what she would wear and still she felt guilt for an imagined slight.

“You are truly a strange mortal.”

She gave him a puzzled look.

“Why do you say that? I'm just average. There is nothing strange about me.” She told him.

“That is where you are wrong.” He told her but he did not elaborate.

She did not need to know that the spell that he had used would not necessarily have worked with everyone. He had been able to sense that she was thinking of him even before he had focussed on her. There was something different about her and that intrigued him.

“What have you planned for us?” He asked her instead.
She smiled. “There is a little coffee shop that serves the greatest croissants along with the best coffee you'll ever have. It isn't far from here and I'm hoping that it didn't get damaged in the attack.”

He didn't say anything. They were walking closer to the centre of where the attack had been at its worst. He could see more signs of the damage here. Workers were indeed busy clearing away broken glass and brickwork. Although many of the businesses were still open there were others that were not.

He frowned. In the heat of the battle he had not been able to see the extent of the damage that had been caused. It had not seemed to him that there was so much damage. He had known that there were casualties, but had thought that the mortals would be subdued with ease and that damage would be kept at a minimum.

He was strangely discontent with the evidence of the chaos and violence that had been wrought by his actions. The damage seemed much worse at ground level.

“We're here.” Angel replied.

He looked up glad to be distracted from his dark thoughts. The cafe was indeed open. It did not seem to have suffered too much damage. He looked around and noticed that they were not too far from the cursed tower of Stark. He looked over the building. There was still much damage, but work had already begun on repairs. It amused him to see that the sign on the side only showed one remaining letter.

Angel tugged lightly on his hand.

“I'm sorry, if you feel uncomfortable being so close to Stark tower we can always just get a takeaway and move to the park.” She suggested.

He smiled at her. “Fear not Angel, I have no qualms about being here. The spell on me cannot be pierced and no one will recognise me.”

She nodded and they moved to a table outside the shop.

“I hope you don't mind sitting outside. I enjoy watching the people around me. I find them fascinating.”

“No, not at all. I would like to observe as well.”

They had not been seated long before a young woman moved towards them.

“Good morning Angel. I haven't seen you in a while.” She said with a smile.

“Hello Monica, yes it has been a while. I hope you're well, what with all the excitement and action that happened here.” Angel replied.

“Yes I'm doing fine. Luckily we came through the whole ordeal with little damage. We lost some windows and some of our furniture had to be replaced, but luckily Mr. Stark helped us to recover. He comes here often for coffee. He said he couldn't have his favourite coffee shop in shambles.”

“Were you here when the attack happened?” Angel asked with an edge of worry showing in her voice.

He watched the young woman’s face and saw the shadow of fear reflected in her eyes.

“Yes, it was terrifying. Those aliens were horrible. It was like nothing I have ever experienced. I never thought that I would experience something like that. Seeing a war zone on television or reading about it in the papers just does not prepare you for the true horror of something like that.”

Her voice had gone quite. She was looking around and he could see that she was reliving the experience.

“I'm sorry Monica, but I'm so happy that you are all right.”
Monica smiled sadly. “I am too, I'm just sad that not everyone was that lucky. Just here a little boy watched as his mother was killed in front of him. He was only 5 years old.” Tears were glistening in her eyes.

“He kept calling to her not understanding. He was not the only one who lost a loved one. We've set up a little memorial for those who died here.” She said and indicated a little plaque inlaid into the wall.

It was surrounded by flowers and had names and ages carved into it. He could read the names from where he was seated.

Melissa Heartly – 28
Jason Kingsley – 19
Eve Mitchell – 3
Karen Aldridge – 14
Andrew Mitchell – 31

He felt a knot of dread in his stomach. Children had died. He had not thought of that. If he was honest with himself he had not thought of the human cost at all. Why the deaths of the young ones plagued him so he could not say, they were mere mortals and could easily be replaced. The mortals bred like rats.

He wanted to ignore it, but as he watched a little boy and a man walked up to the memorial plaque. The boy was carrying a white rose and a small teddy bear. The man helped the boy to place the rose in one of the flower holders next to the woman named Melissa's name.

“Will Momma be okay Daddy?” The little boy asked.

The man looked at the boy with sorrow etched on his face.

“You're mother will be fine son.” The father’s voice was hoarse and he knew that he was struggling to hold back his own emotions to appear strong for the boy.

“But Daddy, she's all alone. Who will hold her when she's sad?”

The man could not reply as tears started to roll from his eyes.

“Don't cry daddy, I'll leave Fred here for her then she won't be alone.” The boy placed his toy down below the plaque. The father picked him up and gave him a hug.

“That's a great idea sport. I'm sure your mommy will be glad to have him. Let's go now son.”

The two of them left, but he could not get the image from his mind. The child's loss bothered him more than he was willing to admit. He wanted to push the sentiment away, but it was not that easy. His actions had taken away this child’s mother. Not only that but if his suspicions were correct he had to watch as it happened. What would he do if one had taken his mother from him?

In that moment he realized that Frigga was indeed still his mother. He would never be able to think of her as anything else. She had been there for him and had often stood up to Odin when his mischief had gotten him into trouble. This realization only increased his self loathing and guilt. This child would never again feel his mother’s arms around him, or have the opportunity to share his triumphs with her like he had with his mother. He truly was the monster that everyone thought him to be. There was no forgiving something like this.

“Poor little guy.” Monica said. “I'm sorry, can I bring you your usual order?”

“Yes thank you Monica we’ll both have one of my regulars.” Angel said. Her voice was quite too. He could hear the sadness in it.

He forced himself to look at her. He was sure that he would see hatred reflected in her gaze. Here she had proof of the monster that he was. She was more than likely rethinking her bargain with him.

All that he saw was a deep sadness.

“So now you see for yourself the horror that I am capable of, the monster that is hidden by this outward veneer of civility.” He told her, he could not keep the bitterness from his voice. “Do you still think that a bargain with me is advisable?”

She looked at him not replying immediately.

“What you did was terrible and has caused not only damage to the physical city, but to the spirits and hearts of many. Nothing you can say or do can ever truly make up for that. Yes what was done was terrible, and will have repercussions for many years to come.”

He kept silent. Her words hurt more than he wanted to. He had not truly expected her to be so brutally honest.
She looked around. “I don't think you really wanted this to happen though. The fact that you seem upset by what you just witnessed now tells me that you were not all there when you attacked the city. That does not excuse what you have done, but someday I would like to hear your side of the story.”

He laughed cynically at that. “You would listen to the words of the master deceiver, the Lie smith? Do you not know that I am not known for my honesty? You are a fool.”

His words sounded harsh and for a moment he saw hurt in her eyes, but then it was gone and a strange understanding look replaced it.

“I would listen and give you the benefit of the doubt, if that makes me a fool so be it. My father used to say that not everything could be seen as black and white. The sad reality is that life sometimes life has shades of grey. There are very few things in this world that are truly evil, I choose to believe that you may have been caught up in matters beyond your control. I'm willing to wait for you to come to me.”

He had no answer for her. She was showing the same faith in him that his mother had. It was a humbling experience, but at the same time her actions infuriated him, why he did not know.

He was distracted by the girl bringing their coffee and food. He quite liked the drink called coffee. It was a fitting drink to accompany their food. The croissant was some sort of buttery pastry which was indeed very good.
They had been enjoying their breakfast in silence. He had not tried to break it and she seemed content to stay silent as well.

“Well hello there my lovely, aren't you happy to see your favourite Avenger?”

Stark! What was he doing here? He remembered the girl mentioning him, but had not expected to run into him. He couldn't help but stiffen. His disguise would conceal him so he was not afraid of being recognized.

He turned towards them where the man was conversing with the girl and immediately stiffened in shock in seeing who stood with them.

“Good morrow Lady Monica, it is good to see you again. We have come to sample some of your excellent fare.” His oaf of a brother spoke.

What was he doing here? Should he not be moping about Asgard?

“Rafe, I think we should go.” Angel spoke up. The tone of her voice caught his attention. Something was wrong.

“They will not recognize me Angel. You have no need to fear.” She was very tense and there was a slight look of panic in her eyes.

“Still let's just go.” She said as she put some money on the table.

Her attitude was puzzling. She seemed afraid. She rose and he did the same. From the corner of his eye he saw Thor look their way and a look of surprise followed by his irritatingly happy smile.

Angel grabbed his hand and moved through the tables making her way towards the street quickly. He was truly puzzled by her sudden rush. They had just passed the last table when he heard his brothers booming voice.

“My Lady Angel.” Thor greeted.

He froze with shock. Thor knew her that was what had her so panicked. Betrayal coursed through his body. She looked at him and tugged at his arm her eyes pleading with him to follow her.

He moved then walking away down the street with her; ignoring the rage that was taking hold of him. He dragged her behind him, but he could hear his brother following them. He pulled her into an alley and pulled her against him.

He knew that he was hurting her but he didn't care. Without giving her any warning he transported them back to her home. He let go of her as soon as he knew they were in her home.

She dropped down to her knees clutching her head. He knew that she would feel discomfort at this mode of transport, but his rage was too great to care. She had betrayed him. She knew his brother and had probably planned this so that she could lead him into a trap.

“Loki I ...” She started as she looked up at him. “I can explain.”

“Explain what? How you had tricked me, planned to betray me? It was very clever I must admit. You had me fooled, but no more.”

“No Loki that was not it at all, I promise! Loki please give me a chance to explain. I know what it looks like, but it truly is not what you think.”

He could see her fear, but there was also truth in her voice.

“Pray tell me then, but know this. I will know if you lie.”
He watched her get up on shaky legs and sit on her chair.

“Please sit down and just listen.” She was pleading with him. She still exuded fear and her whole demeanour showed guilt.

He narrowed his eyes, but took his seat.

She took a deep breath and looked directly at him.

“I do know Thor, not very well as I had only met him recently. I think that the spell that you used has had some after effects. I think the first thing that I noticed was that I could sometimes pick up on your emotions.”

He frowned. “Explain.”

“Sometimes it was like I could feel what you were thinking. I couldn't exactly read your mind, but I got impressions. Then when I had the hypothermia I had what I thought was a dream, but I think it was more like astral projection.”

He remembered that night and all her questions.

“That was the night you asked me about astral projection.” He was angry. She had been trying to work out how to use this ability. Her curiosity had not been without an agenda.

“Where did you go?” He asked.

“I think it was your home. I was in a room with a man and a woman. The woman was beautiful. I know it wasn't anywhere on earth as the room we were in was golden and both of them exuded the same aura that you have. I knew that they weren't human.”

“Describe them.”

“The woman was stunningly beautiful, but not in a cruel or cold way. She had on a dress of what looked like gold silk. She had golden blond hair, done up in a very regal manner. I got a feeling that she was very motherly and loving. The man was very intimidating. He had golden robes and a golden eye patch. He exuded an aura of power that was very overpowering

“Frigga and Odin. They did not see you?”

She shook her head.

“That does not explain how you know my brother.”

Her hands began to shake and her body tensed.

“Please know that I didn't do it on purpose. It just happened, I didn't mean to.”

The anger built inside him. He knew that what she was about to tell him would not be to his liking.

She seemed to be struggling for words.

“Just out with it woman.” He growled.

“I know you travelled to Asgard last night, I was with you. I don’t know how or why but It happened as we were falling to sleep. I felt a pulling sensation and then I was floating above the bed. I could feel you somewhere near me but I couldn’t actually see you. I felt a another pulling sensation and when it faded we were in the palace. I could feel you but I couldn't see you so I followed you. No one was able to see me. We finally came to a room where your mother and Thor were sitting. After a while you left, but I wanted to stay and listen to them some more.”

She had heard their discussion and stayed to listen more, but that still did not explain how she knew Thor. He would deal with what she had learned from their discussion later, for now he needed to know her connection with Thor. His anger was building up and he was having difficulty keeping his temper in check.

“This still does not explain how you know my brother.”

“After you moved away I walked into the room and your mother saw me. I don't know how, nobody else could. Thor saw me as well.”

She had been seen, of course when he had moved away from her she had not been covered by the invisibility spell. He had not been aware of her which was also worrying. She had obviously spoken to them.

“You conversed with them.” He gritted out through tight lips.

“Yes.” She replied softly.

In a moment he was out of the chair and in front of her. He pulled her out of the chair by her shoulders, shaking
her.

“What did you tell them?”

Her eyes had gone wide and the blood drained from her face and he could see that she was trying to talk, but the words did not come. He could not control his rage. If she had told them about him, he would have to rethink his plans. He tightened his hold on her and she whimpered, but didn't say anything.

He moved his one hand to her throat enclosing it. Her eyes had gone even wider and he could see the panic in them.

He would get the truth from her whether she wanted to or not. He pushed against her inner walls forcing her mind to yield to his. She was fighting and he knew that he was causing her pain, but he was beyond caring.

He started to see flashes of her past. Her mother and father. The accident. A funeral he knew to be her parents. An older man, but as that memory surfaced she fought harder. This made him curious it was the same memory that he had had trouble getting to before. She did not want him to see that specific memory he pushed harder. He would have this memory.

Suddenly something changed and he felt a drain on his magic and then she was gone and he was left holding empty air.

His shock was so great that his anger had disappeared.

Somehow she had managed to use his own seidhr to transport herself away from him.

It was something that he had not been expecting as he had not thought such a thing was possible.

Where had she gone and worse had she made it there safely? Travelling the hidden ways was not something to be done by the untrained.

There was a great possibility that she was lost in the void between worlds. Lost from him. His resolve solidified. She was his and this woud not be the end. He would find the idiot girl and find out what she had told his mother and that oaf Thor.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the long time that this update took. It was not done in malice or with intent. Long hours at work, stress only compounded my systemic lupis, making me one tired and uninspired woman. I hope this update makes up for that. More is to follow soon.