Status: New

Walking the Fine Line

Infection

“Anna, Anna! Where are you?” Miranda screamed from the front porch, jumping up and down in impatience. Anna scowled at her from her hidden spot in the tree; she would never catch anything with her shouting about like a chimpanzee. She set her level blue green eyes down toward the distinct footstep she heard.

A creature, no wait a human that had been mauled, was dragging itself along the edge of the tree. “Help me.” But Anna knew it was to late, once the disease had reached your heart it was over.

Anna whispered into her walkie-talkie, quietly as she kept her eyes on the decaying body. “Miranda, will you quit screaming! We have a crawler.”

The device buzzed with her little sister’s voice. “Where?”

Anna shook her head, a signal to Miranda that she couldn’t speak. It was slowly starting to climb up the tree. Anna had two choices: she could wait until it reached her, or shoot it now so she doesn’t risk infection. There was only one way to be infected, which was for the crawler’s body fluids to touch you. Basically, becoming a crawler was as easy as touching one of their blustering fingers and it busting on your skin.

She could see the gaping holes where her eyes should have been. The flesh was starting to rot on the inside, causing an odor that made her own eyes sting. As it continued up, its skin began to stick to the tree, leaving a trail of old and bloody skin. Anna fumbled for her shoot gun, determined to stop it before it got any closer to her.

Miranda watched the scene in horror, cupping one tan hand around her mouth. If she said or move, she risked having more crawlers come this way. You see that’s the thing about crawlers. There is never one because they travel in decaying herds. All Miranda could do is hope that Anna got to her gun in time.

Anna grabbed her gun just as the thing made it to her branch. Quickly, her survival instincts overcame her and she shot. It rang through its head, adding another hole. The thing when tumbling backwards, it hands displayed around as it tried to catch the branches around it. “No, please, help.” But soon it was quieted; the only evidence it was ever around was the odor and the ashes.

She gingerly made her way down the tree, making sure to avoid the skin that was left. If any of it had a substance on it, she would be infected. Miranda’s eyes filled with tears; scared that she had lost her sister just like her brother. Anna gave her a wobbly smile as she approached her. “I’m fine, it didn’t touch me.”

Miranda flung herself into Anna’s arms, clinging to her. They have been out here for three years and Miranda had never, ever hugged Anna like this. The new world had definitely changed the two sisters. Anna laughed,” Thought you could get rid of me so easily?”

Miranda let a smile slip on to her face. “Nah, I knew that crawler had no chance.” They went on with their playful batter, figuring it was better than being freaked out over it. The sun started to go down when they heard the screams and agonizing howls. Anna and Miranda’s faces paled but they ran into the old white house. It was slowly but surely falling apart but they couldn’t be found. They mustn’t.

“I know those kids are some around here! They be stealing my fruit, you hear me?” An agreement across the crowd was heard. “Let’s go get ‘em.”

Fires and pitchforks were visible to Anna’s vision from her perch on the attic windowsill. Miranda sat parallel from her, her knees pulled up to her small figure. “When will they ever stop?”

Anna shook her head and gently brushed Miranda’s golden head. “Probably never, but I wouldn’t worry about it. They haven’t found us thus far.”

Miranda asked, fear evident in her usual strong, cheerful voice. “What if they do find us?”

Anna felt herself go ridged at the mere thought of it. “Don’t worry about it! I swear they won’t.”

Miranda replied,” We can’t run forever. Why are they even after us?”

Anna sighed,” I told you why a million times, so they can put us in the work house.”

Miranda stiffened,” Why would they do that? There isn’t anything to sell anymore? There is no government.”

“Ellenwood founded their own government a few weeks ago. They are trying to power the work force but everyone knows China and all the other countries won’t trade with us since the outbreak. They don’t want to catch the virus.” Anna shifted her gaze back to the window, watching the dark tree limbs. She wondered how long it would be until the soldiers did find them.

Miranda stretched out on her makeshift bed and went to sleep, softly snoring away. Anna wasn’t able to just sleep; she had to many worries and threats in the night. All it would take is for one crawler to get in the house and they would be died. Or close enough.

The shouts and sounds of the soldiers gradually went as they moved farther away. They were safe for now. Anna glanced down at her little sister, memorizing the laugh lines of her tanned face. Her long blond hair was a halo around her, reminding Anna of their mother. She picked up her own black hair, pulling it back into a ponytail that reached the edges of her hips. Anna was once considered the beauty of the town, with her beautiful, tall, curvy figure.

Anna turned her head back to the glowing moon, figuring it was about eight o’clock. She would need her sleep, she had to hunt for food in the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, fresh plot! Needed a story to write while I'm having a slight writer's block with Protector. Hope you enjoy.