Status: Short story.

White Lie

II

At first, I thought the familiarity of my old bed would be lost, but falling into its open arms of warm sheets and fluffy pillows proved me wrong. A place where I used to surf on my computer, write, and hang out with friends—it was my sanctuary and I was glad I was able to return to it.

Dreamland was slowly drifting forth when the mattress collapsed slightly and I started awake. Kai's pale face showed in the gloom. He held a finger to his lips, teeth flashing.

“What are you doing?” I whispered. “Mom's right down the hall.”

“I know,” he said and laid down beside me. “But you're basement is scary as hell. Especially that bride doll. I kept thinking she was going to pop up on the side of the bed with a knife or something.”

I snickered into my duvet. “I always thought the same thing.” I snuggled into him when his arm draped around me. “So what'd you think of my family?” I mumbled into his chest.

“I like them. Your mom's not as bad as you lay her out to be.”

“I know...” I sighed. “We just had a lot of unresolved issues, still do. We're just too different.”

“You and I are different,” he said. “That didn't stop you.” The smile in his voice was evident.

I pressed in closer. “Because you actually understood me. Mom never could.”

Kai sighed and rubbed my arm. “I hope things work out between the two of you,” he said.

“Me too.”

“Is the door to your mom's room closed?”

“No, why?” He sighed and I understood. “Quit being such a perv!” I hissed. “You think being home is the best place to let you in my pants? I don't think so, lover boy.”

He chuckled in the darkness and held me tighter. “I was kidding.”

“Its okay to do it around the guys in order to save your manhood and all, but when my mother is down the hall, then its just damn awkward.” Kai had to smother his snicker in my pillow. “Stop laughing! She's going to hear you.” But I was having a hard time keeping my giggles contained. “Just go to sleep.”

“I can now that I'm not the same room with that doll.”

“She can walk up the stairs, you know.”

“Dammit. Switch places with me!”

--

“Skylar! Breakfast is ready!”

I jolted awake, knocking Kai's arm off me. He groaned and blinked his eyes open. “Shit, Kai! You were supposed to go back to bed!” I hissed.

“But the doll—”

“Screw the doll!” I said, shoving him out of bed. “Mom's more terrifying. Get in the bathroom. Now!

He stumbled out of my room as quietly as one can stumble and down the hallway. A few moments later, I heard the door close. I got out of bed and shuffled into the kitchen.

“Morning,” I greeted, stifling a pretend yawn.

“You want to go wake up Kai?”

“Um...I think he's in the bathroom.”

Mom stopped in her actions and looked curious. “How'd he sneak past me?”

“He's from Japan. Ninja's all in his DNA.”

“Whatever you say...” Mom said as she dried her hands. “He's not allergic to anything, right? I should have asked that before I made anything.”

I smiled and braced my arms against the counter. “No, he's not. He's not really a picky eater either.”

“I like that,” said my mom. She turned to me and set her arms in the same fashion as mine. “You know...I wasn't sure on this whole,” she paused and pursed her lips, “dating a Japanese man, but...I like him. He seems to make you happy.”

“He does,” I agreed. “Happier than I've been for a while.”

“That's good. You need someone to make you happy.” Her voice caught like it always did when she was going to cry.

“Mom, don't...”

“I'm fine,” she said, sniffling. “Its just hard to see you grow up.”

“Kai'll keep me young; he's eternally youthful,” I tried with a hopeful simper.

Mom shook her head, but she seemed pleased. The bathroom door opened and Kai came out, his black hair askew. Giggling, I attempted to tame it down with my hand, earning an evil look from him.

“You look like a hedgehog,” I reasoned in English.

To my dismay, he ruined it by shaking his head to make it all whacked out again. Smart ass.

“Don't worry, Kai. Mine does that too in the morning,” Mom said. Her hair had always been cropped short for as long as I could remember. It was shorter than Kai's, but his was cut in a feathered, layered way that led the top layers to be extremely proficient at defying gravity in the morning.

After breakfast(biscuits and gravy, yum!), we headed out to do chores. Kai strolled along beside me on the way to the barn, the dogs running around us, tails flapping happily.

“You going to teach me how to ride a horse?”

“Only if you want to.”

“Of course!” The excitement in his voice was catching.

“Alright, I'll teach you. Its not that hard.”

“Coming from someone who did it their entire lives.”

“Hey, I haven't ridden for three years.” That was a depressing thought. “I'll have to relearn some stuff too.”

When we got to the barn, Mom directed me on what to do, leaving me to command my own boyfriend. Kai was absolutely enthralled by the horses. Especially my buckskin who was just as friendly and companion-like as he'd always been. He was like an overgrown dog, constantly wanting attention and to be scratched behind the ears—something Kai was more than willing to give.

A skip in my heart every time I looked over at him. He was clearly enjoying himself, more than I ever thought. His smile was shining brighter than the spring sun above us. He was willing to do anything I asked as soon as the words left my mouth. He was open and compassionate. Like he was happy there, belonged there, could actually adapt to being apart of this segment of my life.

That made me wonder if I could return to this segment of my life.

However, the fact that Mom and I had not rocked the ship and had been getting along for the last couple of days made me regret the lies I had spun. To some, it would not be considered not that big of an issue, but honesty had always been something strong between her and me. Things might be patching up and to tell her that I'd lied about pretty much my whole boyfriend's life was something she would not take lightly.

Dammit, I hated my guilty conscious.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm probably posting all of these tonight.

Special thanks to Firefly Alchemist.