Sequel: Pieced Together
Status: Complete

Stitched Together

Chapter 10 Full of Surprises

Chapter Ten
Full of Surprises

Three Months Later

Gotham's citizens were afraid. Their White Knight was dead and their Dark Knight was now a wanted fugitive. Doll was tearing away at their city piece by piece. The thing that scared them the most was that she didn't want anything. There was no negotiating with her. The police department was always a step behind her.

Doll giggled quietly to herself as she watched the couple at the table beside her. She was sitting outside of a coffee shop. She had the morning newspaper spread out in front of her on the small two person table. She watched as the couple on a breakfast date acted awkwardly towards each other. From what Doll could see the date was going terrible. The man was trying way too hard to impress the woman. Doll put a hand over her mouth to suppress the giggles.

No one noticed it was Doll sitting there. She had covered her scars with makeup and had large black sunglasses covering her blue eyes. Her blonde hair was brushed back into a long ponytail. She wore a simple pair of jeans and a black and white stripped, loose fit t-shirt. She wondered what the people around her would do if they knew who was amongst them. The thought of their reaction almost made her give up her identity.

She bounced in her seat when she saw Commissioner Gordon pass by her. The only reason she was here was because of Gordon coming here frequently to grab coffee before heading to work. Doll followed him closely into the coffee shop. She stood behind him in line as she tried to keep her facial expression neutral. She told the young girl she would take a large coffee and after she handed the girl a twenty dollar bill her gazed turned to Gordon.

“Miss, here's your change.” The young girl behind her said as she held Doll's coffee in one hand and the change in the other.

Doll took her coffee from her and waved her hand carelessly towards the money.

“Keep it. I don't want it.” She told her still gazing at Gordon, who was talking on his cell phone a few feet from her.

“Oh, wow thank you! That's so nice of you.” The girl gushed behind the counter. Doll had to bite the inside of her cheek to keep in the laugh.

'Me... Nice? Only if this girl knew who she was talking to.' Doll thought.

She took her coffee and made her way towards Gordon. She made sure to arrange it perfectly. She made sure to reach the door first and then walked out onto the street. Gordon was right behind her when she suddenly pretended to trip. She fell backwards knocking him as she fell. Her coffee and her newspaper crashed on to the sidewalk as well as his.

“Oh, miss are you alright?” He asked her as he lightly grabbed her elbow to help her stand.

“I'm fine, thank you.” She told him as she reached down and grabbed her newspaper. “I guess I'm going to go get another coffee. Sorry about falling on you.” She apologized to him. Gordon smiled reassuringly to her. Doll really wanted to laugh. If only he knew who was really right in front of him.

“It's not a problem. Just glad no one got hurt.” He told her. Doll made to go back into the coffee shop but not before slipping a disc into Gordon's trench coat pocket without him noticing.

Doll smirked as she skipped gleefully down the streets of The Narrows. She was still wearing her normal look as she made it to the house. She slammed the door closed and looked around to unsurprisingly find her newest crew of henchman watching television. For once Doll went to join them when the news came on. She was sure the media had gotten her little gift she left by now.

Gordon had made it all the way to his office before he found the disc in his pocket. He looked at it curiously before taking the DVD from the case. He put it in his computer and waited for it to load. He felt his breath caught in his throat once he saw it. For the first few minutes all the video showed was a young woman chained to a chair. He could hear her crying and her pleads for help. Then he heard the laughter and the camera began to shake violently. Doll's grinning face came into view.

“Hello Gotham!” She said into the camera. She walked over to the chained up girl and leaned in closely so they were both shown. “Look you're famous now! You'll be all over the news!” Doll happily told her. The girl continued to cry. Doll pouted when the girl didn't join in on the excitement.

“Please, please just let me go!” The girl pleaded. This made Doll go into another fit of giggles.

“Let you go. Why would I do something like that? No, you're way too much fun.” She told her as she patted the girls head in a soothing gesture. “Now,” She began turning her attention back on the camera. “For those who don't know this is Lesley Jenkins.” She said pointing towards the terrified girl. “She goes or rather did go to Gotham University. Oh and her father just so happens to be an attorney. I'm sure he's going to miss her really bad when he realizes she's gone.” Doll explained.

“Please, my dad will- will give you anything. Please just let me go.” The girl pleaded.

“Do you know who I am?” Doll asked her suddenly. Gordon watched as she put a switchblade up to the girls throat. “The names Doll and if you know anything about me you would know that I don't want anything. I really just like to show Gotham how pathetic they really are. I'm mean you people shunned the only real protection you had- The Batman” She said as she went to another fit of laughter. The blade sliced the girls throat lightly. Lesley screamed in pain.

“Shh, it's okay.” She told Lesley. “You won’t have to suffer much longer. You see you're just a message. A message to good old Commissioner Gordon and Batman. I'm not going to stop. Gotham City is mine!” Doll told to the camera. “I'll do whatever I want and they can't do anything about it.” The camera was dropped to the floor and all Gordon could hear was the sounds of the girls scream and Doll's laughter until the video came to an end.

Gordon set quietly for a few minutes. The girl in the video, Lesley, looked like she could been no older then nineteen. He wondered if her father realized she was missing yet. He dreaded when the father found out. Gordon frowned when he tried to think about how the disc ended up in his pocket. His eyes widened when he remember the girl that fell on him at the coffee shop. He didn't think anything about it when he was talking to her but now that he was thinking over there conversation he realized that she fit Doll's appearance. The girl he talked to didn't have any scars and she was wearing normal everyday clothing but he was sure that the girl he had talked to was Doll. She had stood only a few feet from him and he didn't even know it. She had planned the entire thing.

Doll gazed at the television as she leaned on the top of the coach. The news caster was talking about her.

“We have just received news on the criminal known only as Doll. We have received a video with a message from Doll. The video shows the murder of college student Lesley Jenkins the daughter of Danny and Paula Jenkins. A warning the video is highly disturbing.” The news reporter said before they played the same video she had sent Gordon. Doll smiled as she watched it.

“I think this calls for a celebration. Mickey, go get some pizzas and don't forget mine.” She told one of her employees. He quickly jumped up from the sofa to do as he was told.

Two Month Later

Doll pulled on her coat and stuck her gun in one of the many pockets inside of it. She walked down the stairs to the main room to find her men waiting for her.

“Let's go pay the loony bin a visit.” She told them gleefully. Four of her men got in the back of the white van as she took a set in the passenger’s side as Mickey drove. It didn't take too long before Arkham Asylum came into view. Doll chewed on her bottom lip as she looked up at the building she had spent eight months of her life in. It was time to pay Doctor Rains a visit.

Being half stealthy and half murderous Doll made it to the office door of Doctor Rains. She had to kill a few security guards on her way but that just added to her fun. Mickey stayed with the van and the other four men were look outs around the asylum. Doll knocked on the door and waited to see if anyone was on the other side. She didn't have to wait long.

“Come in,” came the short reply. Doll quietly turned the door knob and let herself in. Rains was as his desk which was covered in file folders. He seemed to be behind on his paper work. He looked stressed and tired.

“It's so good to see you again.” She told him alerting him to her presence in the room. His head snapped up from his work and his eyes widened. “Did you miss me?” She let out a stream of giggles.

“What are you doing here?” He asked putting on a brave face. He went to grab the phone on his desk.

“Oh, no, no, no we can't have any of that.” She said and pulled out her gun. She pointed it right at him, her finger on the trigger. “I don't want our fun to end so soon. Don't even think about reaching for the phone because you'll be dead before you do,” Doll warned him.

He listened to her. She walked over to his desk and shoved the phone to the floor all the while the gun stayed pointed in his direction. He was still in his desk chair and she climbed on his desk in front of him. Files folders fell to the floor and paper went flying around the room as she set with her legs crossed underneath her on the desk. Her blue eyes studied him. She could see the sweat forming on his forehead.

“You know, I really liked Crane much better than you.” She told him with a nod of her head.

“Why?” He asked quietly. “Because he was just as crazy as you?”

“I liked him because he was crazy. You see I'm not crazy. I got rid of problems a long time ago. I don't need any help. Just because I don't follow your moral codes that doesn't mean I'm crazy.” She told him with a tilt of her head. She removed her switchblade from her pocket as she spoke and twirled it in her hand. “I'm just true to myself. I don't have any regrets holding me back.”

“I should have never let you go with Gordon.” He told her.

“Probably not, but you can't deny that you were so glad to get rid of me even if it was just temporary. You're just a scared little boy with a big job title.” She said. “But don't worry your little head about me escaping from Gordon. I was done with this place. I wasn't going to stay much longer anyway. Gordon was just a bonus.” She flicked her wrist and her blade went flying into Rains shoulder. He screamed as Doll reached out and pulled it out.

“What do you want?” He asked her.

“Why does everyone think I want something?” She asked annoyed while rolling her blue eyes. She shook her head and her blonde hair flew around her. “I don't want anything from you. I just don't like you and I tend to kill the people I don't like so...” She let the sentence hang in the air. Rains stared at her terrified. “Goodbye.” She said before running her blade across his throat. His body slumped in his office chair as his eyes glazed over. Doll giggled before sliding off the table letting more paper fly around the room in the process.

Doll skipped down to the maximum security hallway as she peaked in the cells through the little windows. She stopped when she looked in and saw a very familiar form.

“Well, well if it isn't the good doctor. Not so fun being on the other side is it.” She said to him. Their blue eyes stared at each other unwavering. “Sorry to say I'm not here to help you. You need time to think about where you went wrong.” She told him.

“Why are you here?” He asked. Even locked up in Arkham he still sounded the same. He had the same smart attitude.

Doll shrugged at his question. “Because I felt like it.” She answered. “Have fun.” She called as she walked away from his cell.

At the main end of the hallway was the cell she had been looking for. Lying on his back on his bed was no other then The Joker. He looked incredibly different from the last time she had seen him. His face was completely clear of paint and his hair had been washed. The green dye was now gone and his natural dirty blonde hair hung around his face. He was wearing the standard orange jumpsuit. She couldn't tell from where she was standing if he was awake or not.

“Well, look who got a bath.” Doll spoke up. He turned his head towards her, he had been awake.

“I didn't except to see you here.” He said as he got up from his bed and moved until he was on the other side of the tiny opening in the door.

“Well I had some business upstairs and I thought I would repay the favor I owe you.” She told him with a shrug of her shoulders.

“Favor?” He questioned.

“You let me out of my cell so I thought I would let you out of yours.” She told him as she took a small laptop out of the bag that was slung over her shoulder. She hooked it in to the key pad next to the door so she could hack the system.

“And here I thought you didn't like me.” The Joker commented as he watched her.

“I didn't say I liked you.” She told him as the computer program beeped and showed the six digit password. She typed it in and was rewarded by the sound of the door unlocking. She pulled it opened and there stood The Joker. He stared down at her with a curious look upon his face. She took her time studying him as he did the same to her. He was lanky and he towered over her by a few inches. He stood somewhat hunched over and his brown eyes blazed with a look Doll recognized. His eyes had the same look as hers.

“You're just full of surprises.” The Joker spoke up. She watched as his tongue traced his makeup-less scars. She gazed at him fascinated.

“I get that a lot.” She told him with a giggle. “Here you might need this.” She said as she handed him a gun she had took from one of the dead security guards.

“Not many people just willingly hand me a gun.” He told her his voice going an octave lower. Doll continued to walk down the hallway. She assumed he was following, which he was.

“If you even think about shooting me; I'll kill you.” She said as she peeked around the corner. The hallway was clear.

“You seem very... confident for a little girl.” He told her. His held titled slightly when her gun was pointed in his face.

“I'm not a little girl and you’re starting to make me want to kill you. You’re nothing but a second act to me. Gotham is mine and it will always be. I don't like to share.” She told him annoyance clearly in her voice. After a moment of them both staring at each other Doll lowered her run and continued walking.

“What makes you think I'm a second act to you?” The Joker questioned as they walked side by side down the stairs. They kept their eyes alert for any roaming security guards.

“Well, let's see,” Doll said putting on a thoughtful look. “You rip off mob dealers- I did that first. The face paint and the scars- it was my thing first.” She told him. “Besides I was here before you and I've accomplished just as much as you or more. Does it hurt to know you've been overshadowed by a girl whose younger then you?” She taunted him.

She had pushed him to his limit. Before she could blink he had thrown her roughly against the wall of the stairs. His brown eyes twinkled dangerously as they stared into her blue ones. He held her there with one hand pressed into her side and the other around her neck. Her feet dangled slightly above the floor as he held her.

“Who’s better now?” The Joker whispered dangerously in her ear.

She didn't flinch away like he hoped she would. She didn't even struggle against him. He raised the gun she had given to him to her forehead. He let out a growl when she still stared up at him unaffected.

“Did you think you were going to scare me?” She breathed out. “We can stand like this all day but nothing is going to change except maybe my feet going to sleep.”

The Joker didn't say anything to her but he didn't move away either. His face was incredibly close to hers as he stared at her. His head tilted as he took in her scared face and her unwavering blue eyes. She watched as his tongue touched around his lips and scars. Her eyes narrowed when the hand that had been around her throat moved up and traced the scars around her mouth. Her feet dropped back down on the ground as his hold loosened. She took her chance while he was distracted. Lifting her leg she kicked him in the stomach with her knee and he let go of her laughing off the pain. She wondered briefly if that’s what she looked like. The thought occurred to her that maybe laughing like that was the reason people thought she was crazy but she just shrugged that thought away.

“You got some fight in you... I like that.” He said amongst his laughs as he held his stomach.

“I have a lot of fight in me. Now if you want free I suggest you shut up and follow me like a good puppy.” She told him. She fixed her clothes back before she continued walking down the stairs. She could hear The Joker's footsteps behind her a few seconds later.

They were on the last floor to freedom when a guard spotted them. He didn't get far before Doll shot him twice in the chest. She didn't stop moving and The Joker looked at her impressed as he followed her out. The girl did have a lot of fight in her. She wasn't just all talk like he thought she might have been. She didn't even stop or hesitate to kill the guard. Their way to the white van was silent and when they reached it she saw all of her men had made it out alive- for once. She felt the atmosphere in the van become rigid as the men saw The Joker step in. She didn't tell them she was bringing back a guest. They had all seen what The Joker was capable of.

“Back to the house Mickey and do it quickly.” Doll ordered to the driver.

Night had fallen by the time they got back to the house. The henchman followed Doll and The Joker into the abandoned theater in silence. They weren't sure how to act now that they had two unpredictable killers to deal with.

“Welcome to my humble home!” Doll told him with a smile as she spread her arms out around her. “Since you don't have a place to go at the moment you can stay here.” She offered. The Joker nodded as he looked around the theater. “Hey, Mickey!” She called. The man in question paused half way in the process of down on the couch. He quickly straightened and walked over to his boss.

“Yes, boss?” He asked.

“Go get pizzas and get two of mine.” She ordered him. He left quickly without a word. “Come on Joker, I'll show you were you can stay.” She said as she gestured for him to follow her up the stairs.