Sequel: Pieced Together
Status: Complete

Stitched Together

Chapter 12 A Gift

Chapter Twelve
A Gift

Doll laughed as she watched the explosion. She could hear the alarms of approaching fire trucks, ambulances, and police vehicles. Fire erupted from a building that used to be Gotham's Public Library. She set on the top of an apartment building just close enough to watch. She sat on the edge as
her legs dangled from the side.

“Oh Gotham, you look so pretty when you're on fire!” Doll giggled coming close to falling off the building.

“You helped The Joker escape.” A gruff voice from behind her said.

“I thought I might be seeing you tonight.” Doll commented her gaze still on the burning building. She heard Batman's footsteps as he walked closer to her.

“If you knew then why are you here?” He asked.

“What's the fun in hiding? I want to play.” Doll told him as she turned her head to look up at his masked face. She smiled brightly at him. “I can't let Joker just keep you all to himself.”

Doll stood up on the edge as she faced Batman. Her blonde hair blew wildly in the wind and her blue eyes studied him.

“Are you working with him?” he asked her suddenly. He watched as she broke out into a fit of laughter. He was worried that she really would fall over the edge of the building. She didn't seem to be worried about it as her body shook with laughter.

“Oh, and I thought I was funny... but you. Now I see what he sees in you.” She told him in the middle of her laughter as she pointed a finger at him. “Did Commissioner Gordon tell you anything about me? I don't work well with others. That's why my employees don't last long. I let him out because I felt like I owed him a favor.” She explained to him.

“Why are you here?” He asked taking another step closer to her. He watched her carefully as she stood on the ledge. She was almost bouncing with energy where she stood.

“I got a... um message that said there would be a good view up here tonight.” She answered him as she turned back around to gaze at the burning build that lit up the sky.

“The explosion wasn't you’re doing?”

“Nope!” She said popping the letter p as she said it. She giggled before looking over her shoulder at him. “This was The Joker's doing Batman. I took the night off.”

“Do you know where he is?” He questioned her again. Doll stared at him for a moment. The look upon her face suggested that she thought he was dumb. Her blue eyes roamed over his black armor for a moment before she spoke.

“You know, I cooperated with Gordon to 'help' him catch The Joker but he lied to me. That really hurt. He left me to rot with his colleges. He also broke his promise. At least The Joker's a man of his word.” Doll told him with a giggle at the end. She pushed her bangs away from her face in a wasteful attempt since the wind blew it right back. “I'm back and you’re just going to have to learn to play on my playground now Batman.”

“You think this is all a game?” She nodded her head happily. “You’re killing innocent people.”

“Innocent! Oh now your just being too funny. These people,” she waved her hand down to the streets below them. “These people aren't innocent. They lie and steal and cheat every day. There just not true to themselves like I am. Their even too dumb to know the truth about you. I'm not. I know you didn't kill anyone.” She told him as she finished with a proud look on her face.

She jumped down from the raised ledge of the building and walked closer to him. She watched him carefully as she walked around him. His eyes never leaving hers. Over the past few months he had several encounters with her. They all included mind games and her making a very impressive escape. He found not to underestimate her due to her size. She was small and scrawny. By looking at her she didn't seem to be very threatening but she wasn't someone to mess with. She was skilled with both a blade and a gun. He had learned the hard way first handed. She also didn't react to pain in the way other people did. Their fights would leave her bleeding but she would still be laughing until she couldn't breathe.

“It must be terrible to be hated and hunted by the same people you've spend so much time protecting.” She whispered to him as she leaned in closely to him. He watched her carefully. She didn't move away when she finished talking she continued to stare at his face. Her gaze made him slightly uncomfortable. Her blue eyes were large and always twinkling dangerously.

The moment of silence was broken by the sirens of police vehicles blaring down the streets. Something else was going down. Batman looked questioningly at Doll. She held her hands out wordlessly saying she was innocent.

“I took the night off. Looks like The Joker's having a busy night.” She told him biting her lip for a moment. “Tell him I said 'hi' if you see him.” She giggled. Before he had time to comprehend he watched her jump down from the building. Looking down he saw her slide down the fire escape ladder. She waved up at him before she melted into the dark street below.

Doll rose from the table in her room when a timid knock sounded from her door. Sighing she got up to answer the door. Standing on the other side was Tommy; she was now certain that was his name. He had a packaged wrapped in purple paper in his hands. Doll looked between the package and his face curiously.

“Um, there was a noise outside. Me and another guy went to check it out... this is all we found.” He said showing her the package. “It's um addressed to you.” He pointed out and sure enough 'Doll' was written on the package in small and messy handwriting. It was the same handwriting she found several weeks ago on the note on her door and the message about the explosion. The package was from The Joker.

Doll took the package from Tommy who looked relieved. “Well this should be interesting.” She muttered to herself before going back into her room and closing the door in his face. Tommy shook his head and headed back downstairs to the living room where the rest of the guy were sitting around the television.

Doll sat the package on the table and stared at it for several minutes. She wasn't quite sure what to make of it or what could possibly be inside. Knowing The Joker it could be anything. Over the last several weeks she noticed The Joker more often then she had thought she would. It was like he was everywhere. He'd tip her off when he was so called 'planning' something. It was somewhat annoying to Doll but at the same time in its own weird, little way it was nice gesture. She never missed an opportunity to see Gotham's sky lit up from chaos. It was magical.

Shrugging her shoulders she ripped the purple paper off the box and ripped the tape holding the box top together. Inside was an envelope and small porcelain doll that had a striking resemblance to Doll herself. The Joker had even made sure to give it matching scars. Doll cracked a smile as she took the doll out of the box. It had long blonde hair and large blue eyes- just like her. It was dressed in a black dress. Doll sat the tiny version of herself carefully on the table and picked up the envelope. She opened it and pulled the paper out of it. Unfolding it she saw the same messy handwriting as before.

I hope you enjoy your gift. Be at 23rd street in front of the closed apartment building at 10:00 PM... Don't be late!
J

Checking the clock that hung on her wall she found she had an hour and thirty minutes to be there. Doll shrugged. She knew meeting The Joker anywhere would have to be fun. She wasn't too worried about her safety.

Doll reached her destination with ten minutes to spare. She looked around the empty street. There was no sign of The Joker anywhere. Doll leaned casually on the brick wall of the apartment building behind her.

“I was wondering if you would show.” The Joker's voice commented a few feet to her left. She stared at him as he walked to stand in front of her. She watched as his eyes took her in. “Did you like your gift?”

“Best one I ever got.” She told him truthfully. She gave him a large smile as she moved away from the wall. “So, why am I here exactly?” She questioned him.

“I was wondering if you wanted to be my,” he paused a moment to clear his throat,” my date to this party I'm going to.” He explained as he licked his lips and scars. Doll raised a questioning eyebrow towards him. “Thought you might enjoy scaring some party goers with me. Maybe see a Batman.” He told her looking at her expectantly.

“Well, I do love parties.” She told him. “And I never miss an opportunity to see Batman.” She added.

“Is that a yes?” The Joker asked her.

“Yeah, when's the party?”

Doll gazed at herself in the old dirty mirror in her room as she fixed her coat. Inside it was her trusty and favorite switchblade along with her gun. Once she was ready she walked down the stairs to meet with her men. She was sure tonight was going to be one Gotham would remember for a long time.

The party was being held at Mayor Garcia's house in honor of his birthday. Doll wondered if the citizens would ever catch on that throwing a large, high class party never ended well for them. It seemed both The Joker and herself just couldn't stay away from them.

They met The Joker and his men a few miles away from the party. The Joker had six men who stood behind him all wearing their signature clown masks. Doll's five men was wearing plan white, full face masquerade masks, the only difference between them were the facial expressions on the mask.

“You ready, beautiful?” The Joker asked her. He was dressed in his signature suit with a fresh coat of paint on his face. Doll nodded with a smile. She loved crashing parties.

“I'm always ready.” She told him as she walked past while giving him a large smile. The Joker watched her walk before following behind her. The eleven men all followed like the loyal dogs they were. By the time they reached the large home The Joker and Doll were walking side by side. Both of them were beaming in excitement.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please!