Sequel: Pieced Together
Status: Complete

Stitched Together

Chapter 5 Caught

Chapter Five
Caught

Two Weeks Later

Johnny grumbled under his breath as he walked up the stairs. He was suckered into delivering Doll her pizza. Apparently she stayed in one of the film operation rooms that was upstairs. He knocked three time on the door and shifted his weight as he waited for a response.

“What?” he heard her bark from inside. He had been working for her for two weeks now and he still couldn't get use to her mood swings.

“I brought you your pizza.” He told her as he stared at the door that protected him from her uncomfortable blue eye gaze. He stepped back a bit when the door opened unexpectedly. Before he could register her presence she snatched the pizza from his outstretched hands.

“Wonderful.” She told him as she opened the pizza box slightly to check the contents. She then turned her gaze on him. Her head tilted curiously. “Your job is done. You can leave now. Or you can stay around and we could play together.” She told him smirking as she leaned casually on the doorway.

“Play together?” He questioned confused. He couldn't bring himself to think she was suggesting what he thought she was. Since he had worked for her she seemed to not care about anything except causing chaos to Gotham. Even with the scars she was incredibly pretty but she didn't seem to notice it or care. He wasn't sure if she was suggesting the play time he was thinking as he stared at her. She was smiling as she leaned against the door frame.

His question was answered however when he felt something wiz by his head and land in the wall behind him. He wasn't sure how he didn't notice the knife she had held in one of her hands. He supposed he was to distracted by just her but she had just barely missed him.

“Yeah, and next time I'll be actually aiming for you. Now get back down stairs!” She ordered him before closing the door in his face.

Two Months Later

Johnny hadn't lasted long after the pizza incident. He didn't take being ordered around by a girl to well. He also didn't take what he was being ordered to do very seriously. She told her men to do things but she never told them why; mostly because there really wasn't a reason behind it besides just because she wanted to. It was always be here at this time on this date and be ready but until they go there they never knew why. Sometime it was for something simple like a bank robbery- a mob bank usually, other times it was for something different like steeling an ambulance from Gotham General and after running over a few pedestrians, curtsey of Doll's driving, they set it on fire in the parking lot of the police station. In nine months Doll had blown up a mob owned restaurant, set fire to Gotham's Court House- which they recently built back, and her most resent was blowing up most of Gotham University's campus.

In all that chaos, Doll always kept her eye out for Lieutenant Gordon. She liked to play with his head, to always be a step ahead of him and the rest of the police department. She even left notes at the scene of her crimes for him. It fascinated her that he saw how the world really was, how corrupt it truly was, but yet he never stopped being the good guy.

Doll skipped into the theater giggling as she slammed the door behind her. All five of her men, which still included Tanner looked up at her startled.

“Hello, boys.” She greeted them as she walked over to stand in front of the television that they had all been staring at until her arrival. “You guys ready to work for your pay checks?” She asked with a giggle.

“A bank robbery?” Asked one of the men confused.

Doll's gaze turned to him. The man's name was Tory, and he had been working for her
for about two weeks. This was his first real assignment. She had ordered him to do a few small one man jobs and also to deliver her pizza. He reminded her of Johnny. Men like that didn't take to well at being ordered around like a dog by a woman. Sometimes she even treated dogs better then her men. They seemed to underestimate Doll and what she was capable of. Tanner tried to warn them. She didn't like Tanner really, Doll didn't really like anyone but he did his job well and didn't complain about it. So until he stepped out of line he stayed alive. He was also smart. He knew that when she was mad to stay out of the way or he could end up dead.

“Yes, a robbery.” Doll finally answered looking at him with an expression that showed that she thought he was dumb. “I think this one will be one that people will remember for a long time.” She told them. “Be ready in an hour.” She told them as walked up the stairs to her room.

Tanner looked up the stairs confused. Doll usually told them about a job at least a day ahead. Never just an hour. Something was definitely off but he just shook his head. He didn't dare to question her.

“Lieutenant Gordon do you have anything to say about your arrest of the criminal known only as Doll?” A news reporter asked as Gordon tried to walk into the police station. There was several news reporter standing outside both from the paper and Gotham's evening news.

“No comment.” Gordon answered and after a few more minutes he was safely inside. He sighed tiredly as he walked by other officers who congratulated him. After nine months of absolute chaos he and a few other officers had arrested Doll. She had attempted to rob Gotham National Bank and the security system wasn't shut down correctly. They had gotten the silent alarm call and had arrived there on time to arrest her and the five men that was working for her.

“Davis, where is she?” Gordon asked a younger cop.

“She's in interrogation room one and the others are in the holding cells.” He answered. “You going to talk to her?” He asked him.

“Someone needs to. I don't think anyone else is going to volunteer. Besides she seems to want to talk to me. All those notes were addressed to me personally.” He told him before walking down to interrogation room one.

He stood at the one sided window so he could study her. She was setting in the chair facing the doorway with the long table in front of her. Her feet were cuffed together and her hands were handcuffed in front of her as she laid them casually on the table. Gordon watched as she practically bounced in her seat and her fingers twitched on the table top uncontrollably. She never seemed to stop moving. Her long blonde hair fell into her face masking her signature scarred features. He was amazed at how much damage this small girl was able to do and how much fear she evoked in people. Gordon stood there for a minute longer watching her before he let himself into the room.

“Well, it must be my birthday! Nice to see you again Lieutenant Gordon and so soon.” She answered as soon as he walked into the room. He stayed silent as he sat in the chair on the other side of the table. She watched his every move with curiosity. A small smile was present on her face and her blue eyes were wide and sparkling. Gordon felt like he was being examined. She had the ability to make anyone very uncomfortable.

“I talked to the cops that searched you. Said they couldn't get your finger prints from you.” He told her.

“Did they? I thought I was behaving quite well.” She told him with a large smile as she shook her hair away from her face. He noticed that she was civil to him. She showed no signs of threatening him or being hostile.

“Would you mind if I took them?” He asked her pulling out the kit he had brought along with them.

“Oh be my guest.” She said waving her cuffed hands in front of her. Gordon reached over and unlocked them and she laid them palm down on the table. She watched as Gordon gently took her hand to ink them. He stopped and study them for a moment and then looked at her curiously.

“What happened to your fingers?” He asked as he continued to study them.

“Oh that!” She exclaimed. She took her hand back from him dramatically as if she just remembered. Her fingers were scarred from having burnt the tips of them. They were unrecognizable. Taking her fingerprints was useless. “Yeah, I got bored one day and well that was the outcome.” She informed him with a casual shrug. Her smile made him feel like there was more to the story.

“You got bored and you burned off your own fingerprints?” Gordon asked her.

“Yeah, basically.” She told him before ignoring him and looking around the empty room.

“Do you do things like that to yourself often? Did you give yourself the scars on your face?” He asked her carefully. He knew she was dangerous but she seemed to lose interest in talking to him quickly.

His question however caught her attention. Her gaze snapped back to him. Her blue eyes stared him down and then she started giggling uncontrollably. Gordon sat back and watched her until she calmed down. He had never dealt with anyone like her before. She was unpredictable.

“I may have got rid of my fingerprints but I'm not crazy. I wouldn't mutilate my own face. Now this,” she waved her right hand around her face, “is not my handy work.”

“Then who did do it?” He questioned.

“Does it matter? There dead now anyway.” She answered simply.

“Do you know how we caught you?” He asked her. She just stared at him with raised eyebrows. “One of your men didn't turn off the silent alarm. We got the call and you know the rest.” He explained to her. He was half expecting her to get angry but she just set there as casually as before still staring at him.

“Who said it was one of my men that forgot?” She questioned him.

“What do you mean?”

“See my men are more of the... brawn and no brain type. I've had a few that were tech guys but mostly their there to help get the money. I handle the security systems.” She explained to him.

“So you forgot the silent alarm?” He asked. His answer was her busting into giggles once again.

“Me? Forget!” She said in the mist of her giggles. “Do I look stupid to you?” Gordon continued to watch her. “I didn't forget I just simply decided not to do it. I thought it would make it more... fun that way.”

“Why? Didn't you realize you were going to get caught.” Gordon could feel a massive headache forming from just talking to her.

“Maybe. I think of it as going on a vacation. A vacation with a nice, squishy padded room, crazy people, and a bunch of doctors to irritate. Sounds like paradise. They should make a brochure.” She told him.

“You think you're going to go to Arkham?” He asked her raising an eyebrow at her. She stared at him blankly for a moment.

“Do you think that it would be safe to send me to a normal prison?” She asked him back after a moment of silence. “Besides do you think a judge will deem me sane enough to go anywhere else?” She questioned back.

“You said you weren't crazy.” Gordon remembered her.

“Oh, I'm not crazy. Not anymore, I fixed my problems a long time ago.” She told him tapping her hands on the table as she stared at him. “But do you think a judge is going to think I'm sane?”

“Anymore?” He asked her.

“Well yeah, did you think that somebody had a child and they named it Doll?” She asked sarcastically. “Of course not. My other half died and now it's just me.”

Doll was correct. The judge and the psychologist that spoke with her both deemed her insane. She was sent to Arkham Asylum for life unless she showed extreme improvement. The people of Gotham were relieved to finally have her off their streets. They felt a little safer knowing she was locked up tight. Her men were sent to different prisons all of them were sentenced to life.

Gordon never forgot Doll. In all his time as a cop he had never met a criminal like her. She didn't care about anything it seemed except showing the people of Gotham that she was above their rules. That rules didn't need to be followed. That if you were willing you could do anything you wanted. He was glad when she was finally caught. She had killed hundreds of people in nine months and the people of Gotham were frightened. Though Gordon could never shake the feeling that she was just to easily caught. Everything she said to him in the interrogation room made it seem like she really did want to be caught.

Doll laid in her bed squirming in her straight jacket. She had an itch they just wouldn't go away. She wished so badly that her hands were free but she figured they wouldn't be for a long while. It was worth it though. The orderly deserved it. He had no right to talk down on her. He was dead now so Doll wasn't going to complain about her situation to much.

Tomorrow she would be having her first therapy session with her new doctor. She
smiled. She wondered how long this one would last. She had already been through three of them. If what she heard was true two of them had resigned. She had heard whispers about her new doctor. She was almost excited to met him. She heard his patients scream when they came back from sessions. Always muttering nonsense. She noticed something about his patients when they came back they were always screaming the same word- scarecrow. She already knew she was going to have so much fun with Doctor Johnathan Crane.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think please!