Sequel: Pieced Together
Status: Complete

Stitched Together

Chapter 7 Pizza Delivery

Chapter Seven
Pizza Delivery

“He's turning Gotham upside down pretty quickly,” Gordon commented to Batman as they stood on top of the police station roof. The bat signal shown in the sky above them. It was the night after The Joker had shown up at Bruce Wayne's party for Harvey Dent, the new district attorney, and the same night Commissioner Leob was poisoned and Judge Surrillo was blown up in her own car.

“He's unlike anyone we've ever had to face before,” Batman spoke in his raspy voice. He was curious when Gordon shifted, his eyes darting around the roof top. “Right?”

“Well, there was another criminal that was quite like him. She was very theatrical and unpredictable as well.” Gordon explained to him.

“She?” Batman questioned.

“She was before you came around. She ran around Gotham for about nine months before me and few other officers finally were able to arrest her. She was like him. She called herself Doll. No other name, no other identity. No one ever figured out who she really was.” He told him as he leaned against the wall behind him with his arms crossed in front of him.

“Where is she now?”

“In Arkham, why?” Gordon was curious as to what Batman was thinking.

“Do you think she could help us?” He suggested.

“Help us? Help us do what?” Gordon asked confounded.

“Catch him. She might be able to get in his head. If they're a lot alike then maybe they think similar. It's worth a try. Do you think you could get her to agree?” Batman asked.

“Well, she always seemed to enjoy talking to me. I guess I can go down to the asylum,” Gordon stopped talking when he realized that he was alone on the roof. “Tomorrow.” He finished to himself. He really wished Batman wouldn't just disappear like that.

“Can I help you sir?” The security guard behind the desk asked Gordon as soon as he caught sight of him in the lobby of Arkham Asylum.

“Yes, you can. I need to speak with patient 42176.” Gordon answered. He watched as the security guard typed in the patient number on his computer. The man read whatever was on the screen then turned quickly to study Gordon.

“I'm sorry sir but that patient isn't allowed any visitors.” He told him.

“Yes, I'm aware of that. My names Lieutenant Gordon and it's very urgent that I talk with this patient.” He explained as he showed the guard his police badge to confirm his identity. “Can I speak to her doctor? Maybe if I explained the situation-” The guard cut him off.

“In the file she doesn't have a doctor listed. The new director, Doctor Rains looks over her case personally.” He informed him.

“Wonderful, can I speak to him then.” Gordon requested. The guard looked at him suspiciously for another moment before dialing a number on the phone that sit beside his computer. After a short conversation he told Gordon that Doctor Rains would be down in a moment.

Gordon turned when he heard footsteps coming towards him.

“You wished to speak to me?” A middle aged man with prominent green eyes and dark brown hair asked. He was average height and a little on the heavy side. Gordon assumed this was the director that took over after Crane.

“You must be Doctor Rains?” Gordon asked.

“Yes, I am. You're Lieutenant Gordon correct? I've heard about you. You’re the reason the patient you wish to see is here.” He told him as he motioned for him to follow him. They walked in silence until they reached a wooden door with the doctor’s name on it. Walking into the office Rains gestured for him to set down.

“Now, would you mind explaining to me why you want to see patient 42176?” He asked as he sat behind his desk staring at Gordon confused.

“Have you heard about The Joker?” Gordon asked.

“Yes, I'm sure as soon as he's caught that he will be with us too.” Rains told him. He didn't look particularly thrilled with the idea as he spoke to Gordon.

“Yes, well my idea was to offer Doll the chance to help us get into his head; to stop him before he gets worse. He's threatened to kill someone every day and I would like to catch him before he kills again.”

“How will she help you?” He asked him.

“Well, from my experience with her I find that they are both similar. I figured if anyone could get into his head it would be her.” Gordon explained. “So can I talk to her?”

“Be my guest. After the Crane incident no other doctor wants her. She doesn't want to talk to any of us.” Rains warned him.

“She was one of Crane's patients?” Gordon questioned.

“Oh yes, they had therapy sessions for a few months. He was her longest doctor. She was the only patient that didn't seem to get any worse while under his care. In my personal opinion, I don't think she could get much crazier.” Rains told him. Gordon followed him back into the elevator and they rode down to the maximum security wing. Rains walked him to a small room that had a one-sided mirror in it. On the other side was the room they used for therapy sessions for high risk patients. It looked identical to an interrogation room.

“I called them to let them know to bring her down here. They should be here in a moment.” Rains informed him. Not a minute later two guards came in with Doll in between them. Her feet and hands cuffed.

Gordon studied her as they locked her feet to the chain on the floor in front of one of the metal chairs. She looked a lot different from the last time Gordon saw her. She was no longer wearing any makeup or paint and she looked out of place in the orange jumpsuit. He also noticed how calm she was. The last time he had spoken with her he noticed that she never was still. She was always bouncing and her hands always twitching. Now though she seemed more tranquil.

“She's calmer then I remember.” Gordon commented still watching her through the glass.

“Yes, I've put her on sedatives. She tends to hurt the orderlies so I have to keep her calm.” Rains explained to him as he to watched her.

The guards had already left, shutting the door behind them. She was alone in the room now. She sat hunched in the chair her long, blonde hair falling messily into her face which was titled down towards the table. Gordon broke his gaze from her to make sure it was alright for him to go talk to her. Rains told him to go right ahead but he wouldn't be joining him. Apparently he was staying to watch safely behind the glass. Gordon had to stop himself from shaking his head, it seemed she had all the doctors here terrified to even speak with her.

Doll sat there as her mind swirled from her dose of sedatives that they had given to her earlier. She wondered why she was in the 'therapy' room. She hadn't had therapy since Crane and she highly doubted she ever would again. Unless some newbie had decided to take her on to try and further their career and cure her, if that was the case they wouldn't last long. Her faced twitched when she heard the door open. She didn't look up she just continued to stare at the table top in front of her. She listened as her company sat down in the chair in front of her. They didn't say anything and Doll felt their gaze on her. She refused to speak first.

“You look a lot different than what I remember.” A voice that she recognized immediately commented. Her curiosity was peaked. Raising her gaze to the person in front of her, her suspicion was confirmed. Lieutenant Gordon was paying her a visit.

“Well, I must have been a good girl. Santa just brought me a gift.” She told him as she casually leaned back in her chair. She took her time to study him. He looked pretty much the same. Maybe a little more tired and worn. She guessed having Gotham's citizens lives on his shoulders could do that. “No letters or phone calls, I thought you had forgotten all about me.” Doll teased with a smile.

“You're a hard person to forget.” He told her.

“Why are you here? I'm sure it's not because you missed me.” She asked him directly.

“Have you heard about The Joker?” He asked her watching for her reaction.

“The clown guy?” She asked him. He nodded in response. She shifted around in her seat before continuing. “Yeah, I've heard of him. He really needs to be more original. I don't like people stealing my ideas.” She giggled. The sedatives were starting to wear off. She was starting to feel more like herself.

“I thought you two were quite similar as well.” He honestly told her.

“Really, that’s interesting, but see that still doesn't answer my question. Why. Are. You. Here?” She asked him again.

“I was wondering if you would be interested in helping the police department.” He told her. He paused when she burst out laughing. Her chains rattled as she moved.

“Help- help the police department! Why- why would I do that?” She asked still laughing. Gordon continued to set quietly until she calmed down.

“You and The Joker are quite similar. I thought with your help we could catch him quicker.” He explained to her.

“Why would I want to do that? He seems to share my love of chaos. Why would I want to make that stop? Well, until I take back the throne.” She stared at him as she waited for an answer. Gordon noticed that she seemed confident that she wouldn't be locked up forever.

“If you helped us in his capture it would prove that you are smarting then him.” Gordon told her. This seemed to make her more agreeable.

“So, if I help you do I get other special treatments?” She questioned.

“Like what?” He asked her. He was prepared for this. He knew she was to smart to come without getting something in return.

“I want to go with you. I don't want to be locked up either. I'll behave as long as I can freely move my limbs. You can lock me up in one of your interrogation rooms.” She told him. Gordon thought it over for a minute before answering.

“That sounds reasonable. I can arrange that.” Gordon agreed standing up from his chair.

“Oh, and one more thing,” she spoke up before he could turn away. Gordon watched as she bounced in her chair excited. “I want to meet The Batman. I've heard so much about him. I want to see what the fuss is about for myself.”

“I'm not sure if that will be possible,” he told her unsure.

“Then you’re out of luck. I won't help you.” She told him and he watched fascinated as she shut down right before his eyes. She completely ignored him.

“Fine,” he sighed after a few uncomfortable minutes of watching her. “I'll arrange so you can speak to him.” Her head snapped up to meet his gaze.

“Good, we have a deal.” She smiled widely at him. “Now get me out of here.”

It was the next day when Gordon was able to transport Doll to Gotham's Police Department. When Gordon and a few other cops that worked in his unit came to retrieve Doll, the asylum had her ready to go. Her upper body was bound in a straightjacket and her legs were cuffed together just lose enough so she could walk on her own. Two of the guards escorted her to the bullet proof SWAT vehicle.

“Good afternoon Gordon. I was starting to think you wouldn't show.” She told. “Shame on you for making me wait so long,” she scolded him but smiled the entire time. She didn't even struggle when the two guards pushed her roughly into the van.

“Well, it's been fun boys but I'm ready to turn my life around. I’m ready to turn over a new leaf. I'm ready to help the fine officers at Gotham's PD.” She said dramatically. “Well, I'll help them a little anyway. Sad day it is when Gotham has to depend on a bat to catch criminals and a doll to play psychiatrist but I guess I can't do any worse than Crane... at least I'm not crazy.” She told them from inside the van. She was sitting on one of the benches that were mounted into the wall. She giggled as all the officers looked around her uneasily.

“You sure you want to take her back to the unit, Gordon?” One of the officers asked. He was still staring at Doll as he spoke. “We wouldn't blame you if you told them just to keep her.”

“Now, now don't be saying things like that. Gordon and I had a deal. I'll keep my word. I'll be a good little girl and help you as best as I can.” She promised them with a wide smile that showed her surprisingly white teeth. Doctor Rains had been right she hadn't change at at all since being locked up. Besides her appearance she was still the same Doll he remembered all those months ago. He hoped he was making the right choice for Gotham's sake.

“You heard her. Let's get moving.” Gordon told them. The officers jumped into action. Gordon climbed in the back to ride along with Doll. She was quite the entire way. The only sound was the rattling of her chains as her right leg bounced up and down. Doll's unnerving blue eyes stared at him the entire way. It was moments like this when he wondered what was going through Doll's mind. She was always studying the world around her. He could almost imagine the wheels turning in her head as she stared unwavering at him.

Doll kept her word and she behaved as he escorted her into the building. She stared at the officers who openly stared at her as well. Some had been there when she was arrested but others hadn't. They had all heard stories of Doll though. The officers felt uneasy about keeping her so close by.

“Don't your officers have manners Gordon? It's rude to stare.” She commented. In honesty she didn't seem to mind the stares but it did make a few men shift their gaze elsewhere after being caught.

“Everyone get back to work!” Gordon shouted as he personally escorted Doll to interrogation room number one. The same place he had talked with her last time. He closed the door after them and she broke away from his grip.

“I remember someone promising that I would be free.” She reminded him as she squirmed under her straight jacket.

“And you promised to behave.” Gordon told her sternly. He saw her roll her eyes at him. He felt like he was talking to a two year old not a full grown woman.

“Yes, I remember. You have to keep your end of the deal and trust me. You came to me remember?” She told him. Gordon didn't like being reminded. He was starting to have doubts that she would really cooperate. She was seeing this all like it was a game.

Gordon studied her for a few minutes. She finally stopped squirming and stood still. Cautiously, he untied the knots of the jacket and her arms fell down to her sides. He pulled a key from his pocket and reached down and quickly undid the cuffs around her ankles. Gordon stood back and watched as she shook the jacket off letting it fall uncaring to the ground. She stretched her arms above her head and he heard her pop her back. Once she was finished stretching she walked over and leaned against the metal table.

“Why is it wherever I go the furniture is always made of metal?” She muttered as she stared down at it. Gordon assumed it was mostly a question to herself. He cleared his throat to get her attention. Her head snapped up to him waiting.

“Take a seat and we can get started.” Gordon told her as he went to the chair at the opposite end of the table and took a seat.

“So what is exactly do you except me to do? Pull a rabbit from thin air and turn it into The Joker?” She asked him sarcastically. “And why does he get a 'the' in front of his name? Was that his doing? He sounds pretty egotistical if you ask me.” Doll rambled off to him while tapping her fingers in a marching rhythm on the table top. “Besides I said he was ripping off some of my ideas but from what I've been hearing he does have some originality. Poor Judge Surillo, she just had to go do bigger and higher things.” Doll giggled.

“Doll, stop playing games.” Gordon warned her.

“Who says I'm playing. You're the one that came to me for help. I'm just trying to figure out what you except me to do.” Doll told him. Gordon watched her carefully as she stood up from her chair. She walked calmly over to the mirror on the right side of the room. Gordon wondered how many officers were standing on the opposite side watching.

Doll tilted her head as she looked herself in the mirror. She was paler then she remembered and had black circles around her eyes. The ugly scars still shown on her face. Her fists clenched when she thought about the torture her, or well Violet, went through to get them. In the end it was for the best. Doll was alone and the weaker side of her died. The other side finally realized that the world was just to cruel for them to handle. Doll shrugged off those thoughts. Her past wasn't something she ever wanted to think about. She lived for the now and now she Gordon asking her for favors. That made a smile crack on her face.

“Wonder how many people's looking in here like it's a freak show?” She asked him suddenly as she gazed at the mirror.

“Who says there's anyone looking in at all?” Gordon questioned her. He also stood up from his chair as well. She gazed at the mirror for a few seconds longer before turning her gaze back to him. She looked at him like she thought he was dumb for even asking that question.

“Do you honestly think anyone would want to miss watching me from a safe environment? I don't think so.” She told him her hands waving around her dramatically. “But we're not really here to talk about me. We're here talk about 'The' Joker.” Doll told him and she gracefully set herself back down in her chair and gestured to Gordon to do the same.

“That's right. Like I said to you yesterday I believe you two are quite similar. Your way of thinking is the same. We were thinking you could give us some suggestions on what he might try next.” Gordon explained.

“And if I give you these suggestions that you want so bad do I get to meet,” She leaned across the table towards him and whispered, “The Batman?”

“Why do you want to speak to him so badly?” Gordon finally gave in and asked her. He realized that since he started talking to her that she was insisting upon this one favor.

“He's a bat that runs around trying to 'save' Gotham.” She told him even going as far as using her fingers to mark the quotations around the word save. “Gotham doesn't need to be saved. The people in it are to corrupt for that. That's why it's a perfect place for chaos. Everyone just cares about themselves. They'll do anything to save their own lives. The Joker and I aren't monsters, not really. We just show people their true colors. We show the world what their like when it really matters. We show these people that they don't have to live by all these rules.” She explained. She smiled at him as she leaned back looking content to stare at him.

Gordon watched her uneasily. The things she said always made him a little uncomfortable. She wasn't after anything. She didn't care about money, or people, or even herself. She truly just wanted to destroy Gotham one little piece at a time. She didn't do it for any reason and she had no rules or morals. She did whatever she felt like without worrying about any consequences. He was sure if he ever got to speak with The Joker it would be a similar story. He wondered how two people got so messed up in their lives. He often wondered what could make someone take on a completely different persona and have such low perspective of the world.

“Well,” Doll said suddenly after a few quite minutes. “He's going after the big men of Gotham or women in Judge Surillo's case, so go from there. He didn't kill Harvey.. he should watch his back.. And front.” Doll giggled.

“You think he'll go after Harvey again?” He asked her.

“Does he look like a guy that just gives up?” She asked him, her face expressionless. Gordon didn't answer.

“I think that’s enough for today.” Gordon said standing back up.

“Awe, we were just starting to have fun.” Doll pretended to pout.

“We'll talk more tomorrow.” Gordon promised making his way over to the door. He waited until he heard the buzz noise to let him know it was now unlocked.

“Wait!” Doll's voiced stopped him half way through the door. “Are you going to let me starve while I'm here? I know most people don't think I'm really human... but I do require food... and a trip to the bathroom every now and again wouldn't hurt.” She told him.

“Of course we'll feed you and let you go to the bathroom.” Gordon told her.

“Oh goody! I want a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese. Oh and a Pepsi!” She told him. Gordon stared for a moment.

“I'll see what I can do.” Gordon promised. He closed the door with the sound of Doll's giggles echoing from the room. Just as Doll predicted almost the whole unit was watching her from the one-way mirror. Gordon shook his head and headed to his office. He had a pizza to order apparently.

Gordon came back to the station with Doll's pizza an hour later. The other officers didn't say anything as he walked to the interrogation room. They had watched their entire conversation. Before he went to the room he stopped by one of the vending machines and got her a can of Pepsi as promised. After being buzzed in, he stepped into the room to find her sitting on top of the table staring at the one-way mirror on the wall in front of her. She didn't give any sign that she realized he was in the room with her.

“I have your pizza and your Pepsi.” Gordon told her as he set it on the table she was currently sitting on as well. She turned towards the pizza and opened the box. After inspecting it she gave a nod of approval.

“Maybe I should just pay you to always deliver my pizzas. You’re much better than the idiots that used to get forced in to doing it. Those were the good old days.” She told him as she took a slice from the box. She continued to set on the table with the pizza box opened in front of her. She stared at him in thought as she picked the pepperonis off the slice and ate them first. She gestured to the pizza with what Gordon could only assume was her version of a friendly smile. “Have a slice.” She offered. “I do know how to share... when I want to.”

“Thank you.” Gordon nodded in thanks as he took a slice for himself. Doll went back to ignoring him and eating. He was surprised to see that she ate four slices on her own before she shut the box and tossed it on the floor for later. Gordon watched as she laid back on the table without a care in the world. Gordon listened to her carefully as he heard her mutter to herself what sounded like a strange poem.

“One bright day in the middle of the night,
Two dead boys got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other;
drew their swords and shot each other:
A deaf policeman heard the noise
and ran to save the two dead boys.
And if you don't believe it's true,
go ask the blind man, he saw it too.”

She ended the rhyme with a fit of giggles. Her body thrashed on the table as she laughed. She was out of breath by the time she calmed herself down and she took deep breaths as she stared at the ceiling.

“I shared my pizza with you, you can leave. I can keep myself entertained for now.” She spoke up suddenly. “I'll be a good girl. You just head home to Barbra and the kids.” She assured him. He felt uneasy knowing that she knew his wife's name and that he had children.

“Alright, I'll see you in the morning.” Gordon told her and with one last look at her he pushed the button to be let out. He took one final glance at her before shutting the door. She hadn't moved.

Doll laid on the table top for hours. She assumed it was well into the night before she finally was exhausted enough to fall into a light sleep. Apparently, the cops on night duty didn't dare to check on her. No one disturbed her or even bothered to turn off the lights. She was also glad that Gordon had let her have a bathroom break. She was his responsibly and the other cops wanted nothing to do with her. She was fine with that. She didn't want to be bothered with anyone else. She would 'help' them and she would get her chance to play with both Gordon and Batman. Everything was falling right into place for Doll.