Ariel

Eleven

I haven’t been able to sleep at all lately because of the nightmares I have been having. Every time I close my eyes I see Ariel and I getting sucked into the water. Trying to reach for each other, but I can never reach her and then I die. I haven’t spoken about it to Ariel because I didn’t want her to worry. I haven’t actually told anyone even though they can tell the lack of sleep I have been getting.

I was in Statistics when I was woken up by Noah. I didn’t realize I have almost slept through the whole class. I wiped off the small amount of drool and looked at Noah. When the bell rang Noah asked “What is with you sleeping in almost every class?”

“I haven’t been getting much sleep lately.” I said as we walked out of the classroom and into the hallway.

“Late phone calls with Ariel or are you sexting her?” I slapped him on the arm.

“We don’t sext and my parents take my cellphone away from me once I get home because they don’t want me to have anything to do with Ariel.” I complained.

My parents have been gone practically my whole life that I was raised by my nanny and now they come back and act like they actually care about me. They have also been overprotective ever since they came back and I am not use to it. I guess it’s good to know that they do really care, but they have been so absent in my life and they can’t really ever make it up to me.

“Dude I thought your parents would be so chill.” If Noah has never met my parents and he has been my best friend for almost ten years then that says something.

“Well I guess if my life is in danger they actually have to show some concern.” I said with a little bitterness.

“Anyways I was wondering is the fact that being with Ariel is dangerous and life threatening make her more attractive.” Noah completely changed the subject.

“No it kind of makes me feel a little paranoid.” Ever since she has come in my life and I almost died I have flinched or freaked out every time I am home alone and I hear a noise.

“Oh, it makes her more attractive to me.” I hit Noah again and he just laughed.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around to see Ariel’s smiling face. She then gave me a quick peck on the lips. It’s been three weeks since she’s moved out and things have been really calm, so she has been really happy lately. Unlike me where I am having trouble sleeping and as I said before I am paranoid.

“So Sarah is throwing a little kickback at her place you want to come?” Ariel asked.

“I am so in.” Noah said and Ariel rolled her eyes.

“I don’t know depends if I am able to sneak out or not. I have never had to before, but there is a first for everything.” I honestly didn’t want to go, but I haven’t hung out with Ariel outside of school for a while.

“Dude just say you’re spending the night at my house and I will pick you up at eight.” Noah put gave me a high-five and then the bell rang. Noah went the opposite direction as I walked Ariel to class.

Noah came around nine because he is always late and we arrived at Sarah’s twenty minutes later. Most of the people there were pretty much on the swim team because all of Ariel’s friends are on the swim team besides Noah and I. I didn’t really know any of these people and I felt a little awkward being here.

“Man I love kickbacks.” Noah said. He then grabbed a beer and began hitting on girls.

I noticed Ariel outside, so I went to join her. I noticed the pool had no water in it. I thought it was weird since Sarah is a swimmer, but then I noticed the stack of tiles in the deep end and the missing tiles on the wall. I then greeted Ariel with a kiss.

It was nice to get to know all Ariel’s swim buddies. I also loved how happy she looked tonight. It seemed like there was not a worry in the world for her. I then decided to stop thinking about everything that has happened and to just enjoy the night and watch Noah do stupid things when he gets drunk enough.

When pretty much everybody was gone Ariel and I were laying out on lawn chairs looking at the stars. We were holding hands and right then I had faith that everything was going to work out and there would be nothing to worry about in the long run.

I was wrong because seconds later after having this thought Sarah ran out and her eyes looked watery. She then told us that their coach was in the hospital. We then quickly got up and I drove them to the hospital in Noah’s car. We ran through the doors quickly and we found their coaches husband waiting outside of a room.

“What happened?” Sarah asked and I looked over at Ariel who was shaking.

“Some guy was trying to drown her. I noticed him as he was leaving and I ran outside and found her at the bottom of the pool. They said I found her right in time.” He began to tear up.
Ariel lets go of my hand and runs out of the hospital, so I followed her. She was crying and trying to catch her breath. I hugged her and she cried on my shoulder. I kept telling her everything is going to be okay.

“No nothing is going to be okay. People are dying for me. I want to be next. I want him to come after me next.” She said in an angry tone. It scared me a little bit. She looked at me waiting for a response, but I was having trouble thinking of one.