Ariel

Two

I was sitting with Noah at our normal table at lunchtime. I noticed Ariel walk in the cafeteria and she looked like she was looking for someone. I was hoping that it was me, but then she walked up to Matthew Weston who is the captain of the football team. Then I saw Matt point at me. She was looking for me.

Then I realized that I was getting nervous and I do stupid stuff when I get nervous. She continued to walk in my direction, so I told Noah to do something stupid that would creep her out and hopefully she won’t sit with us. Out of all stupid things he could have possibly done he decided to take our straw and stick it in his mouth to look like a walrus.

She was still walking over here, so I took a deep breath and put a smile on my face. I could feel myself sweating. I looked over at Noah for some help, but he was still acting like a walrus. I hit him on the arm and the straws fell out of his mouth.

“Were you just pretending to be a walrus?” She asked Noah and he nodded his head. I hit myself on the forehead thinking I honestly lost any chance I had with her. “Well, I love Walrus’s.” I lifted my head up in shock.

“Are you sure you want to be seen with us. We aren’t exactly what you would call popular.” Noah said and I hit him on the arm.

“Oh you’re not?” She seemed surprised at that fact.

“I guess it kind of depends on your definition of popular.” I didn’t want to start our friendship off with a lie.

We may not be chick magnets, but we are on the popular side. We aren’t the jocks or rich people, but we are more like the class clowns. Everybody loved it when one of us were in their class because we made things more entertaining and we know how to get a teacher off topic.

“Yo Cody, are you throwing your beginning of the year rager?” Garret Gordon or as many call him ‘G Squared’ came up an asked. He is basically the guy you want to be friends with because if you are then you are automatically known as cool.

“Of course I am dude.” I said and Garret high fived his friends.
He then gave me a punch on the arm, which hurt real bad, and then said, “You never disappoint.”

When he left Ariel looked at me like she was waiting for an explanation, but I wasn’t sure if she wanted an explanation about the party or why Noah said we weren’t popular when we clearly are. Instead of giving her an explanation, I decided just to eat my sandwich and pretend I don’t know she wants an explanation.

“A party? Who would show up to two losers’ party?” She questioned and I looked at Noah waiting for him to answer, but he began drinking his soda, which meant I had to explain.

“Well we never said we were losers, just not popular. And I have a party every year that usually ends up being legendary, so you better show up. It will be this Friday.” I just basically asked her out I think.

“I’ll definitely be there.” She began to pick at her salad and I smiled to myself.

“Of course you will be because if you don’t go people may consider you a loser.” I was trying to sound cool, but I think I just sounded like a loser. “Sorry I was trying to sound cool. You won’t really be a loser if you show up. To be honest on Monday if you tell people you were there they would believe you because there are always too many people there.”

“Sounds like you really know how to throw a party.” I think we were flirting again, but I still am not quite positive.

“I’d like to say I do, but the truth is I provide the house and the party basically happens on its own.” She laughed and I don’t really know why. “You laugh at the weirdest things I say.”

“That’s called flirting, stupid.”