Ariel

Four

It was Monday and I was waiting for Ariel to finish swim practice, so we could go get ice cream at Ben & Jerry’s. Not my favorite Ice cream, but they were giving out free ice cream today and I thought this could sort of be like our first date. However, she doesn’t know that it is a date because what kind of guy takes a girl out to get free ice cream for their first date?

When she walked out of the locker room her hair was in a wet messy bun, but she redid her make-up since it looked perfect and even though there is waterproof make-up, I don’t think it works that well. She looked so cute and I couldn’t help, but smile.

The whole car ride she complained about how she could do so much better than she did in practice, which is weird since she was pretty good and much faster than everyone else was. I felt like she was better than some of the Olympic swimmers. She’s been here for like a month and she already set a record. Anyways I wasn’t really listening because I hated girls who never think their good enough, but in reality they are amazing. Well at least now, I know she has a flaw. It puts a little less pressure on me.

When got their and she ordered a small vanilla, which I thought was classy of her to stick to the original. I got a large sherbet because sherbet ice cream is like heaven in my mouth. We sat down and began to talk about basically everything.

“So where did you move from?” I changed the topic once she asked about my most embarrassing moment because I rather not talk about it quite yet.

“I am from Florida and I am so glad I moved here.” She said taking a tiny bite from her ice cream. I literally was almost done with my large while she basically still had all of her small left. How do girls eat so slowly?

“And why is that?” I finished up my ice cream and began to drink what little bit of melted ice cream was left in there.

“Well because it’s so humid in Florida, there’s a ton of old people, and some other things that I am not comfortable telling you. So have you lived here your whole life?” She changed the subject quickly.

I guess she really doesn’t like to talk about her past since she has been dodging al the questions I have asked about her past. I wonder what could have been, so bad that she can’t share. She’s beautiful, sweet, smart, a great swimmer, and now a little mysterious. I feel like the luckiest man on this planet right now.

Once she had decided she was full, I drove her home. The car ride was silent because the whole time I was trying to figure out what her secret was. I kept thinking that her dad was a serial killer or he was some spy. I only say that because her dad is dead and I feel like she moved here because of that, but what do I really know?

I stopped in front of her house and we just sat there for a while. I felt like she wanted to say something, but could not think of the right words. I kept thinking about saying goodbye, but I didn’t want her to leave. Even if we were silent, I would still get to see her face, which is better than going home to an empty house.

“I had a great time, even though it was a cheap date it was the perfect first date.” My eyes widened at the fact that she knew it was a date. Girls are so smart at figuring guys out.

“You knew it was a date?” I said in shock and a little bit angry for some reason.

“Yeah Noah told me.” Of course he did. Noah ruins everything for me. “No worries I know that our second date will be much better.” She smiled, gave me a peck on the cheek and got out of the car.

“Wait you want a second date with me?” She nodded her head and then turned around to walk to her door. Once she reached it, she gave me a wave goodbye.

I was clearly new at this dating thing and have made a fool of myself several times in front of her, but she still wants to go on a second date with me. Maybe I have more game then I thought I did. Though I wiped the smile off my face when I remembered that she had a secret that I want to know. I hope it isn’t as bad or traumatizing as I think it is. I tend to over exaggerate and make big deals about stupid things like this. For all I know she just got her heart broken by some jackass. At least I hope it’s something as small as that.