Status: Completed

First Day on a Brand New Planet

Chapter 2

I hardly got any sleep last night. I repeatedly thought about my new job and the person I was working for. It was definitely going to be a major adjustment. I fell asleep 2 hours before my alarm went off and I did not want to get out of bed. I hit the snooze button 3 times before I actually crawled out of bed and threw myself in the shower. I let the warm water wash over me as I thought to myself, “6 am? Really? I couldn’t remember the last time I had been up this early.”

Stepping out of the shower, I wrapped a towel around me, before I fixed my hair for the day. After I was satisfied with the way it looked, I threw on a tank top and a pair or shorts and put on a little makeup to cover up the dark circles under my eyes from the lack of sleep. After slipping on my flip-flops, I grabbed my purse and keys and headed out of the door to start my first day of work. I said a small prayer to myself on the way over to the house that it went smoothly.

As I pulled up to the house, there was not a car in sight besides a black SUV in the driveway. There was plenty of space to park, but I decided to park across the street again. After grabbing my purse from the back seat I locked my car doors and headed towards the house. My heart sped up faster with every step that I took.

“Hey!” I looked up to see Jared standing outside of his truck. “What are you doing here? he asked. What did he mean what was I doing there? I wanted to ask him what in the hell he was talking about but I refrained from doing so and I just replied nicely.

“You told me to be here at 6 this morning.” I said. I wanted to punch him when I seen the smirk come across his face. “I know, I was just kidding. No one ever gets here on time on the weekends, I just told you 6 to see if you’d show up on time.” he said.

“Well, do you need me to come back later, or…” my words trailed off as he interrupted me. “You can stay and work if you’d like. If you stay now, you’d be home early, if you came later today, I can’t promise what time you’d leave.” he said as his fingers played with the set of keys in his hand.

I agreed to stay, the earlier I got home, the quicker I could go back to sleep. “Are you ready for your first assignment for the day?” he asked.

“Yeah, sure.” I said shyly. There was no denying I was putting off a nervous vibe and he seemed to be loving every minute of it.

“Ride with me to the grocery store. I could use some help, Emma is out of town for the weekend and she usually helps me.” he said opening his door to the black truck. I agreed and made my way to the other side of the truck. As I opened the door, he held out his hand to help me up into the vehicle. How could he be so cold one minute and then so caring the next? He was definitely confusing.

I didn’t say a word the entire ride to the grocery store. I seen him stealing glances at me a few times before he finally broke the silence.

“You don’t talk much do ya?” he asked looking back and forth from me to the road in front of him. I just put down my head and laughed to myself. It dawned on me that I hadn’t talked much ever since our first meeting yesterday.

“I’m sorry, this is all new to me, I’m still kinda nervous about everything.” I said, turning to look at him, waiting on a response. He smiled, but didn’t give me the response I was waiting for as he kept his focus on the road.

He parked the truck all the way at the end of the lot even though there were plenty of parking spaces near the entrance. I didn’t understand this man. I just shook my head as I made my way out of the vehicle.

“I’ve never been to a Whole Foods before.” I said as we walked together towards the huge store. “What? This is your first time?” he asked.

“Yeah, we didn’t have one where I lived. Are you vegan?” He looked at me curiously.

“Just because this is where I go to do my grocery shopping, you assume I’m vegan?”

“Yeah, are you not?” I asked immediately regretting I said anything to begin with.

“No, you’re right. I am vegan.” He busted out into a fit of laughter. I realized then, he pushed your buttons to see how far he could go.

He was a slow shopper. He looked at everything on every isle and read the labels. I’ve always been fast about shopping for things, I know what I want before I go, and I get it and get out, but not this man, he takes his precious time. We were in there for 2 hours and we were getting stared at by everyone. I just tried to ignore them though like he did. We finally made our way to the check out line and made our way out of the store.

On our way to the house, it was silent just like the ride before. I was probably going to regret my next words, but I had to see what his response would be.

“Can I ask you a question?” He looked over at me and nodded his head in agreement. “Why were those people staring at you in the store back there?” I asked.

He looked at me, with a curious look on his face. I never broke my expression as I looked into his blue eyes.

“You don’t know who I am?” he asked me. I remained silent.

“Well, I’ve been in some films and I’m in a band.” He looked over at me after telling me that, searching for a sign to see if I realized who he was. It took everything in me not to crack a smile.

“Oh, that’s awesome. Any I heard of?” I asked the puzzled man.

“My band is called 30 Seconds to Mars.” he said it with a hint of anger in his voice. I looked at him giving no indication that I knew who he was or his band.

“Do you listen to music?” he said sarcastically. “Yes I do. You just assume because I listen to music that I know who your band is?” I said.

After I said those words, it was like a rage washed over his demeanor. I didn’t even realize we had arrived back at the house. We sat in his driveway, while he burned a hole through me with his eyes.

“You really don’t know who Mars is?” he asked.

“Yeah I know who you are and your band.” I said finally letting out the laughter I had been holding back ever since we left Whole Foods.

He just shook his head and exited the truck. I met him at the trunk to help him with the groceries with a smirk plastered on my face.

“I’m sorry, I had to.” I said apologizing to the frustrated man.

“Well you can forget about leaving early now. Be prepared to stay all day.” he said before he stormed off with both of his hands full of groceries. I knew I would regret it in the end, but it was worth it. I was prepared for a day of hell from him.