Status: Completed

First Day on a Brand New Planet

Chapter 6

We ended up in the most crowded club in LA, I could hardly breathe or move. I didn’t care though, I came here to celebrate Allie getting a new job, her dream job at that and to blow off some steam that “he” caused earlier today. He is so confusing, can I not just go to work and do my job and leave when I’m supposed to? Shaking the thought away, I downed another shot of Tequila. It wasn’t my choice of alcohol but it’s doing it’s job.

“Come Tay, come dance with us.” Allie said. I shook my head in protest. She brought a girl along with her that was also at the same interview she went to, only for a different position. They both got the job.

I sat as I watched the both of them make their way to the overly crowded dance floor. I was not a dancer and I was not about to start tonight, even though the alcohol was easily working on me, I still had enough sense not to get out there and make a fool out of myself.

After a few minutes of watching the train wreck that was my best friend and her friend, I made my way to the bar once again. Even though I tried to block him from my mind, I couldn’t shake it. Why did he crawl under my skin so badly? I thought we had a nice day hiking, inappropriate at the least being that he is my boss and all, but I had no choice.

“What would you like ma’am?” the gorgeous dark eyed bartender asked me bringing me back from my dreadful thoughts. “Shot of Tequila and a beer.” He smirked at my order. Putting the drinks in front of me, I handed him my money plus a grateful tip. “Thank you so much.” His eyes lit up when he counted the money. I smiled at him and headed back to our table.

They were still out on the dance floor having a blast. I thought about joining them but I decided not to. I could feel the alcohol taking control of me, I haven’t felt like this since high school. I never went out and done anything, but on graduation night I let loose and ever since then, I’ve basically became a recluse and focused on my career goal… until tonight.

Taking one last sip of my nasty bitter beer, I got up and made my way to the bar. “There you are.” the cute bartender said. All I could do was smile at him, my body felt like Jell-O.

“What could I get you ma’am?” he asked. What is with this ma’am business? Do I look that old? “Cab!” I yelled at him over the obnoxiously loud music.

“You want me to call you a cab?” he asked making sure he understood correctly. I nodded at him and he shot me a quick smile.

I made my way to the restroom while I waited on my ride. The line to the women’s restroom was ridiculously long. I couldn’t wait any longer so I decided to bypass all of them and make my way into the men’s. I would never even think of doing that, ever, but right now I didn’t care.

As I tried to focus on my appearance, I ran my fingers through my hair and reapplied some lip gloss. Everything was blurry, but that was my mission for the night and I achieved that goal. Suddenly someone was beating on the door yelling. I didn’t care, the men should have to wait like we have to. After glancing at the fuzzy vision in the mirror, I turned and unlocked the door and made my way out of the bathroom to come face to face with the main reason I was in the state I was in at the moment.

“Taylor?” Jared asked with a confused look on his blurry face. The anger I felt when I seen him spread through me like wild fire. Not saying anything to him, I attempted to keep walking past him, but he grabbed my elbow and jerked me back to him.

The girls in line for the restroom were gawking at our interaction. “What do you want?” I asked him. His eyes were dark, filled with anger, his jaw was clenched tight. As much as I had to drink, it was amazing that I could see his features so clearly.

“What are you doing here?” he whispered so everyone couldn’t hear his inquiry. I couldn’t stop the eruption of laughter that escaped my throat. He looked down at me, questioningly. Then suddenly he pulled me inside of the bathroom with him and locked the door and I heard the girls outside talking amongst themselves.

He asked me again what was my reason for being at this club, and I looked at him and shook my head in disbelief. What was his problem? What was it to him where I was? I’ve known him for a short period of time and I already can’t stand him.

“I came to celebrate Al’s new job.” I said slowly, trying not to slur my words. I hate when I see girl’s acting this way, now I’m one of them. But it was all his fault, the gorgeous boss of mine standing in front of me.

“I need to go tell her bye and get my cab, it’s probably about to leave me.” I said. He looked at me with concern, his eyes softened. What was it about this man? He drove me insane.

Turning away from him, I unlocked the door and he didn’t say a word, he watched me as I left him there, standing in the doorway.

I quickly found Allie and told her that I was leaving, she was still on the dance floor, but now she was with an attractive dark haired guy. She always did have good taste in men. After giving one another a brief hug I hurried out of club to see my cab waiting for me. I breathed out a sigh of relief as I threw myself into the backseat of the car.

I woke up in my bed, still dressed, and the feeling like a hundred men were jumping on my head. The sun was beaming in my bedroom window, making the room uncomfortably warm. Throwing the blanket off of me, I sat up on the edge of my bed. I noticed a small glass of water and some Tylenol lying beside it. I look around the room, but it was empty. Allie must’ve laid it out for me. I wonder how she is feeling today.

After throwing my robe over me, I make my way into the living room to see Allie and her friend sitting on the couch looking like death themselves. “Hey Al, thanks for the medicine.” She didn’t say anything, she just held her head and cringed. If I feel bad, she must really feel the repercussions of the alcohol. Who knows what time they got in, I can’t believe they are up already. How did I get home last night? I remember the cab but nothing after that.

After I washed off the previous night in the warm shower, I threw on some shorts and a t-shirt. I think I might go to the house today and get a little work done, although I don’t want to at all, we do have a deadline to meet. I don’t want to see his stupid, gorgeous face though, not yet anyways. I’ll just go in and do my work and leave. I towel dry my hair and grab my wallet, keys, and phone and make my way out of the door, leaving Allie and her friend still on the couch.

I double check I have my keys with me, in my hand, before I lock my car door and close it. I definitely don’t want to repeat my previous mishaps. Punching in the code on the gate, I make my way towards the house when I seen Emma.

“Hey girl, how you feeling?” How does she know I went out last night, I thought to myself.

“As good as one could feel after a night of drinking.” I said softly. The sound of my own voice makes my head pound. I might need to take some more headache medicine.

She just laughed at me as she headed towards the SUV in the driveway. “Where are you going?” I ask her.

“I have to run some errands, we’re going out of town for a few days.” She shot me a sweet smile and retreated back to the truck.

Where could they be going? I thought this thing we were working on had to be finished, and there is so much left to do. Making my way up the stairs to the room I work in, no one was in sight. The house was too quiet. Oh well, I should get as much done as I possibly can, I’ve slacked on my work for the past couple of days, no fault of my own, but I need to make it up. I start up the computer and go to work.

All of a sudden I hear a faint sound of a guitar being played. I hear someone singing, but I can’t make out what they are singing about. It sounds beautiful though. I work on editing while I listen as the guitar soothes me. It helps the pounding I felt earlier, surprisingly. I finish up on the last clip of the day and shut off the computer. Grabbing my purse, I double check once again, to make sure I have got everything I brought with me.

As I head downstairs, the guitar melody keeps getting louder and louder. It sounds like it’s coming from the studio. Curiosity is killing me, so I peek my head through the door and I see Jared sitting in a small booth, with his head back, unconsciously strumming his acoustic guitar. He truly is beautiful. He looks so vulnerable sitting there. Then I realize I thought I was alone this entire time, but he’s been here. He’s the one that’s been playing his guitar, that beautiful sound I heard while I was working, it was from him.

My gasp brought his attention to me. He glared at me like he could kill me. Like I seen something forbidden. He quickly shot up and made his way toward me. I shut the door and headed out of the room.

“Come back here!” he yelled at me. I can’t believe he had the nerve to yell at me. And the pounding headache has returned.

I honestly don’t even know why I was so mad at him to begin with and I have let that go, but I wasn’t going to tell him that. I turn around to see his eyes dark and glaring at me.

“What all did you see? Who let you in?” he asked, anger in his voice.

“Have you forgotten, I work here? I have a code remember, plus I thought I would get a little work done since someone has been interrupting my work.” I said sarcastically. Ugh, why is he so frustrating? I thought to myself.

He walked closer towards me, I thought he was going to come face to face with me, but he didn’t. He sat down on the stool beside me.

“I’m going to ask you once more, What.All.Did.You.See?” He looked at me in my eyes, he could be so intimidating, but I wasn’t going to let him know that.

“I’ve heard the guitar for almost an hour, I guess. I was working upstairs. I only peeked into the studio to see who was here, because I thought I was all alone.” I said calmly.

Everything was silent and still one minute and chaotic the next. He stood up and threw the chair he was sitting on across the room and started yelling as he was throwing a tantrum.

I was so taken aback at his actions that I didn’t even notice Emma standing beside me. Her mouth was hanging open in shock. I shrugged at her to let her know I didn’t know what set him off.

Suddenly everything stopped just like it had started when he noticed Emma was in the room with us. He came around to the sofa and sat down. I couldn’t move, I have no idea what I had just witnessed. The room was a mess now. What was he, 12 years old? Throwing a tantrum because I heard him playing his precious guitar. I shake my head at the thought.

“Emma, give us a minute.” he demanded. “Okay, but we need to be leaving soon, we can’t be late to the airport.” She demanded right back at him. I think he’s met his match with her, she’s good for him. He nodded at her and took in a deep breath.

“What is your problem? I’m sorry I heard you playing guitar, my goodness.” I said saying it with as much sarcasm as I could. He looked at me, with those ice blue eyes, like he could kill me right then and there.

“You wasn’t supposed to hear that.” he said, his tone has changed. He looks almost sad as he speaks to me. I walk over and sit down beside him.

He inches closer to me on the couch. I tense at his movement towards me. We are nose to nose, I would’ve bolted out of there as quickly as I could, but part of me likes him this close to me.

“Why are you like this? he whispered. I couldn’t make myself respond, I was frozen under his stare. We both heard the sound of someone clearing their throat. It was Emma, not looking shocked at all that this was transpiring.

“Jared, we have to go. NOW!” she said slightly raising her voice. He looked up at her and nodded in agreement. He moved away from me and made his way over to collect his bag by the door. I was still frozen on the couch.

“Like what?” I asked as I watched him walk towards the front door. He turned around and smiled at me. What does he mean, Why am I like this? The question should be, why is he like he is?

“I’ll be back in a couple of days Taylor, get as much work done as you can. We’ll talk then.” he said closing the door behind him leaving me as confused as ever.