Status: Completed

First Day on a Brand New Planet

Chapter 8

The past four days has been exceptionally quiet around the house. There was no yelling. No demanding. No Jared. I missed the noise. I have gotten a lot of work done though while he’s been away. That’s one good thing about his absence. Even though I had tried to stay focused on my work, the last words he said to me before he walked out of the door kept repeating over and over in my head. “Why are you like this?” I whispered my myself. What did he mean by that? How was I? I have been the SAME way for 25 years, what makes me different now.

Rolling over I turned off the alarm, before it resonated throughout the house. It was 5:59 a.m. I had to work today. I’ve probably gotten 3 hours of sleep the entire night, all due to my unwanted thoughts. He came back home today though, and I was determined to talk to him at some point. Throwing myself out of bed, I jumped into the shower, and let the warm water rain over me. It felt relaxing. It didn’t take me long to get ready, I towel dried my hair and knotted it on top of my head, threw on an old dress and some flip flops. I peeked inside Allie’s room to see if she was awake, but she was fast asleep, with that guy she met at the club that one night. Shaking my head, I grabbed my purse and keys and headed out the door to face the day.

Mikey and I had been working all morning in complete silence. Mikey never talked, but today I couldn’t get him to shutup. I had been tuning him out and agreeing with everything he said. Uh huh… Yeah… Yep… Mmhmm… I repeated those words, over and over again.

“Really, Taylor, you will?” Mikey asked. His face was so red. Oh no! What did I just agree to.

“Oh, I’m sorry, what did you say Mikey?” I asked. I softly smiled at him. He was an attractive guy. He had dark hair and eyes to match. He was rather tall and slim.

“I…I…Umm…I wa-wanted to know if you would go out with me tomorrow night? If not I understand.” I wish I could run out of the room or crawl under my computer desk, but I couldn’t. I was face to face with this guy asking me out on a date. I couldn’t be rude and just say NO, I wasn’t that mean and he seemed so nervous. I can’t remember the last time I’d been asked out on a date.

“Well, Mikey…” my words trailed off as he interrupted me. “It’s okay Taylor.” I was shocked. He turned back around in his chair and went back to work. I felt bad and I hadn’t even said anything. I started to work again until I came up with a solution.

“Mikey.” He turned around to face me. “I was just going to say that I need to talk with my roommate first to see if she doesn’t need me or the car for anything. If not, then I’ll be glad to go out with you.” I said to him. His face lit up like a Christmas tree. He wrote down his number and I told him that I would call him when I found out something from Allie and we both went back to work.

Noon came and went by fast. I hadn’t seen Jared or Emma all day. He never slept late. I knew he was around though, because Jamie came walking by and I overheard him say he was asleep… in his room. That room. I’ve slept in that bed. It was a nice bed, too. Shaking my thoughts away, I focused on the computer in front of me. Mikey left at lunch. Thank goodness, so I had the room all to myself. Just me and my thoughts, editing this video.

5 p.m. came and there was still no sign of Jared. I shut my computer down and grabbed my purse. I started down the stairs, but his door caught my eye. Like it was the only door upstairs. I looked around and the house was quiet, so I decided to go knock to see if he was asleep.

I heard him scream on the other side of the door. I immediately regretted my decision. He could be so intimidating sometimes. I walked inside the room and closed the door behind me. There he was, shirtless, laying on the bed, on his stomach. He was beautiful, even half asleep. He looked at me with squinted eyes. He quickly apologized for yelling at me, which made me forget about it immediately.

After a couple of minutes of conversation, I finally just came out and asked him about the other night. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest or have an instantaneous anxiety or heart attack. When I had the courage to look at him, his eyes seemed vulnerable, and his face had softened a little, but when he caught me looking at him that all changed.

He answered my question, finally after acting stupid, like he didn’t remember. It wasn’t the answer I thought I would get though. The other night he seemed like it actually meant something. “Why was I like this?” I wanted to know what he meant by that, but here he is saying that he was just messing with me. That made no sense whatsoever. He was full of shit. I quickly told him some line of crap and got out of there. I felt like I had made a fool out of myself. I ran downstairs, grabbed my purse, and headed towards the door before Marisa called out to me. “Come join us out here for a bit.” she said. I just wanted to get out of there but I went out and socialized for a few moments.

Everyone was outside. Jamie was grilling something, it smelt good. Some random girls were in the pool. There was always randoms in the pool. Did they actually know them? We sat in the lawn chairs at the end of the pool and I listened to them talk. It didn’t take my mind off of what just happened upstairs though. The more I thought about it the angrier I got.

“Taylor!” I heard someone call out to me. I turned around and seen him standing in the doorway to the house. I didn’t say anything to the girls, I just got up and walked towards him. I heard them talking amongst themselves as I left and I overheard the girls in the pool talking about him.

I closed the sliding door behind me. He had put on some clothes, which was nice. I can’t think properly when he doesn’t have on clothes. He started telling me something about an event he had to go to, and asked did I want to join him. Of course I did. I didn’t want to do anything else but go with him, but I wanted the truth. I wanted to know what he meant by what he said. It wasn’t that big of a deal, but I needed to know. I was that stubborn.

“Tell me what you meant the other night before you left for New York.” I said before I could stop myself. His eyes got darker and his jaw clenched tight. I wanted to say just forget it and agree to his proposal, but I refrained from doing so.

He immediately repeated what he said upstairs. I felt my eyes wanting to water, but I refused to let him see me cry. He didn’t deserve the satisfaction.

“Well, I’m sorry I already have plans for tomorrow night then.” I said out of pure anger. Turning around on my heels, I made my out of the door and slammed it shut behind me. I walked out towards the girls, as everyone glared at me, and told them bye. They were deep in some conversation about a new club that was opening up tomorrow night.

As I made my way up the steps, I had a thought. I’d go home and call Mikey and agree to his date. Maybe we could go to that new club in town. I wasn’t going to sit around any longer, wasting my time trying to analyze what the King of Confusion said to me. I am young and I’m going to have a good time. I got into my car and headed home with the windows down and the radio turned up.