Sequel: Waking Up in Vegas

Northern Downpour

11

The whole situation had been awkward for everyone, perhaps none more than Haley and Kevin. She never told Jack that her and Kevin had been friends with benefits but it had never been his business. Not that she didn't want Jack to hate her, she could have cared less of what he thought of her (to a degree though she'd never admit it), she didn't want Jack to hate Kevin. They had all been extremely close, she never wanted to be the one between all that.

Saturday morning Haley headed up to the mountain. She had the morning off and figured this might be her one chance to use her pass. It was actually quite early for her to be up considering all the drama as there had been the night before. Haley had cleaned herself up and the cut on her brow was scabbed over; It just looked worse than it really was.

Haley had mostly just been walking around the venue and keeping to herself, checking things out as kids and people were crowding everywhere trying to get on lifts. She figured she must have picked a good day judging by the amount of people around (very little; The event was slated to start Thursday). She headed to stand at the base of the pipe which had been freshly completed. She was surprised to see Shaun standing at the bottom talking to someone as a small amount of other riders were taking their runs.

She didn't know if she wanted his attention after last night and the mess he'd made of himself but judging by the small man, dressed all in black, that was approaching her, she'd have to deal with his attention. "Surprised to see you here."

Haley gave a nod, "I have a late shift, figure I might make use of this badge while I have it." Haley picked up the VIP badge that was draped around her neck. All the small squares were filled in and her picture was even on it.

Shaun gave a slight nod, his brown eyes darting to her brow. Before he could help himself he took a glove off and reached up to touch her face, "You got that from us last night didn't you?" Shaun's voice had an slight air of concern and regret.

Haley, for once, didn't pull away as he raised his hand to her. She just left her eyes on the cold snow beneath her feet. She wasn't this tough girl from the bar— she wasn't pushing him away like she normally would, "Yeah, it just looks bad. I'm ok, really." Haley insisted, finally looking at Shaun.

"I'm sorry." Shaun apologized. It was a series of words that Shaun never really uttered to anyone but this time he meant it. "Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" He asked, "Perhaps I could take you for dinner," though in haste he quickly added, "or lunch. There's a great deli downtown, if you're down to get a sandwich." He was afraid that maybe Haley would think he was pushing for a date.

Haley gave him a small smile, "Lunch," she paused, "Lunch sounds good." She said, pausing before she realized that he probably didn't know her name, "I'm Haley."

He knew now, that at least they could be friends. He'd earned her trust enough that maybe they could be friends, "I'm Shaun." He replied, introducing himself as though he'd never met her before. It was different, she didn't want 'Shaun White' but he was so used to the girls that did, it was a hard change for him to adjust to. Last night was proof that he didn't know how to be with someone who didn't have any interest in the fame or celebrity or hoopla that surrounded him.

Shaun headed off to a waiting snowmobile as Haley watched behind a small fenced off area. She had always been intrigued by the half-pipe in general. It was something that she herself had wanted to try as a skiier but never had the guts to even try. She was mostly intimidated by the size. These were huge and Haley felt very small as she stood at the bottom, some riders zooming right by.

However one rider stopped and then scooted over to her, "Surprised to see you talking to the Tomato." Kevin said, lifting his goggles to show her his icy-blue eyes. "Was he hitting on you again?" Kevin's tone cut a bit, it wasn't the friendliest tone either.

Haley was was a bit caught off-guard at first by the rider, Kevin, approaching her, "It was just a conversation." Haley chimed in, "He apologized for last night." Haley wasn't about to tell Kevin that he had agreed for lunch after the small air of jealousy that had sounded in his voice. "Though, I don't see what business it is of yours to know what we were talking about." She paused, "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're jealous."

Just as Kevin was about to say something Jack came gliding over on his board as well, "Haley, having fun watching practice?" he asked as Kevin stood there, a subtle dash of anger settling on to his face. He had been about to say something and Jack came over in the nick of time.

Haley shrugged, "Kind of boring but I think that's because not all the riders are here. Had a nice chat with Shaun." Haley remarked with a bit of a smile.

Jack chuckled, "I hope he apologized, that was so embarrassing, right Kevin?" Jack said as he turned to Kevin who had glided off back to practice during Haley's response.

Haley hated to ask or even to bring it up, "How's everyone doing?" She asked, even though she was trying to find out if Kevin and Ellery were still on or if there was someone else in the picture.

"Everyone is good. Danny has been out hurt so he's not competing," Jack paused to point over to Danny (that was his name!) who waved and smiled. He had a large brown mustache and beard with long flowing hair.

Haley laughed a little, "He's still with Marge?" Haley looked back up at Jack and cleared the small lump in her throat.

Jack nodded, "Aw, yeah. She's still with him. She's good for him. He's not like the rest of us though. He doesn't hit on any girl that walks past him because Marge is all he needs."

Haley nodded, "How's everyone else?"

Jack shrugged, "We're all ok. Kevin's seeing some girl name Whitney that he met so they've been together for about six months." Haley was a little surprised but she knew that she shouldn't been, Ellery deserved better. "Luke has a girl," Jack continued, "I think, I don't know. I don't even think he knows." They laughed together, "But, I'm alright. Still single."

Haley chuckled and reached out to give Jack a gentle nudge, "You're a dirty dog Jack." She said as he scooted off to finish practice.

Riders cycled through and before she knew it Shaun was back and this time he came right up to her. "I forgot to give you my number." Shaun said as he breathed hard.

Haley laughed and covered her face a little, "Sure, I'll take your number." She said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Amy, I by Jack's Mannequin

Thanks for reading! I love to hear your guys' feedback and what you think.