Sequel: Waking Up in Vegas

Northern Downpour

03

Haley looked down as she clipped her three day pass to a zipper on her jacket. It was Saturday and pretty much everyone was recuperated from their hangovers the day before. Everyone was sort of standing around making sure everyone else was ready. She grabbed her board out of the back of one of the cars and looked around the group quietly. The boys were all talking to each other, excited to see who would hit what feature first.

The group headed en-masse to the lift line, Haley was silently counting and she realized that they were missing a few. She looked around and spotted a couple of guys over hiking the pipe, one farther ahead then the others. Haley tapped Marge's shoulder, "Why don't they just take the lift?"

Marge looked where Haley was pointing as the three of them waited their turn. "Oh, some of the guys prefer to hike the pipe, that way they get a better look at conditions." She replied as a girl in a pink patterned jacket and blue pants hit the pipe.

"and there goes Ellery." Haley heard Jack mutter over her shoulder.

"Who's she?" Haley asked, looking at Jack as they llined up to get on the lift. Danny on the outside, followed by Marge, Jack, and then Haley on the outside.

The older shrugged, "Who knows." He laughed when Marge slapped his chest as they sat on the lift chair. "Ellery is Kevin's thing."

Danny reached up and pulled the safety bar down just as Marge leaned forward, "She's not a thing. She's Kevin's girlfriend but they're always on one week and off the next."

"See, she's his thing." Jack interjected.

Marge rolled her eyes, "She's not a 'thing' Jackass." Marge muttered, "She's a professional too so she goes and does a lot of the events that Kevin and the guys go to. She doesn't do every one but she does quite a bit. They're pretty much almost married well," Marge paused, "At least they argue like they are."

Haley just nodded. Haley felt almost relieved that Kevin had this.. girlfriend. Haley decided that she would consider Ellery his girlfriend, "How long have they been together?" Haley asked, watching the girl in pink wrap her arms around one of the figures on the side just before the lift took them out of view.

Jack chuckled, "Too long." Jack put his arm around Haley, "Besides, what happens on the road stays on the road."

"Jack!" Danny and Marge echoed in unison, both looking at Jack like they were going to murder him.

Haley laughed a little, shifting a bit to lean closer to Jack when he put his arm around her. She let herself be comforted by the small gesture of the older man. Did Haley think Kevin was attractive? Ab-so-fucking-lutely. Did it make it easier for her to forget about him knowing that he had an attachment to someone? Of course.

The group exited the lift and split off in their own directions, Danny and Marge, and Jack followed Haley. She didn't need to be babysat. She came to a stop out of the way of the lift as she reached for her phone and earbuds, Jack stopping beside her. She eyed the older. He was only a couple inches taller than her and she hoped that he wouldn't continue to follow her.

"I see you checking me out." Jack winked at Haley, who just rolled her eyes in response. "Come on, seriously, what are you doing tonight?"

Haley paused a little as she moved to put in one of her earbuds, "I don't know, why?"

Jack chuckled, "I know that Marge probably didn't tell you and neither did Kevin cause Ellery is gonna be there, but there's a party at Kevin's parents place tonight."

Haley raised an eyebrow, "And?"

Jack straightened out a little, "Look, I'm just being honest. They probably didn't tell you because Kevin doesn't just go on walks with girls he doesn't know. But, you're cute and I think you should go." Jack looked at Haley with a sly smile.

Haley knew what he saying. Haley knew exactly what he was saying. "Are you saying you think I should go anyways.." Haley started, knowing full well that two could play this game and she could play it just as well as Jack could. "Or," She paused again as she let go of her earbuds and moved closer to Jack, "Are you saying you think I should go with you?" Haley asked the older as she batted her lashes.

Jack smirked, "You know," He paused, "I like the sound of you on my arm at this party better." He replied cool and calm as he looked down at Haley.

Haley gave a nod, "Perfect." and with that she put her earbuds in and clicked on her iPhone and pushed off ahead of Jack, "See you at the bottom." She blew a kiss to Jack who just stood there just staring at Haley with a smile.

After the day on the mountain, everyone went their own separate ways. Mason, Danny, Marge and Haley headed back to the Simpson house. Kevin and Ellery left together, and Jack and Luke left together to go to their mom's place to get ready for the party at Kevin's. The ride back was pretty quiet as everyone was tired and it resulted in the four of them napping from the time they got back until the time they all decided to get ready.

Haley changed in to a pair of jeans, one of her v-neck tees and threw on a hoodie. She quickly blow-dried and straightened her hair and then threw on a beanie. Danny and Marge were also getting ready. Haley walked out to wait for Jack only to find Mason already talking to Jack.

"You're early." Haley said as she approached Jack with a smile, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"You're late." Jack teased, looking Haley up and down, "But it was worth the wait."

Mason exchanged a brief look between the two of them, "Get it playboy!" He shouted.

Haley and Jack left for Kevin's party together. They made small talk the whole ride over— Mostly just Jack pointing out things here and there along the way for Haley to observe. Haley shamelessly pretended she was interested and pretended to hang on every word that Jack was saying. Jack parked and they each got out to go in to the large barn.

Jack grinned as he pulled Haley close to him, "C'Mere." He said, voice soft. His arm slid around her shoulders as she leaned in to him.

Haley was a bit nervous, if what Jack had implied on the mountain was true, things were about to get interesting. At least, that's what she thought as they approached the door to the barn. The loud sound of voices and music could be heard outside the barn even though they were still yards away.

Here went nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Be My Escape by Relient K

Thanks for subbing and for the recs. I appreciate it. Your feedback is also, always, always welcome!