Sequel: Waking Up in Vegas

Northern Downpour

06

The truth of the matter was, Haley wasn't expecting Kevin. It was finals. Haley was stressed out, on anti-biotics, and not entirely ready for any kind of a vistor so having Kevin just show up was a trip. It was another stress added on, because now she had to entertain him while he was here. She had no idea if he even had anywhere to stay, and judging from the fact that he had three bags with him, that would be a no.

Still, Haley couldn't help but smile as she ran to hug the man tightly, "Kevin!" she said, "What on earth are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be on your way home to California?" She asked, pulling back from Kevin. She turned to her friend, "I'll catch you later and we can discuss Sorenson's paper." She said as her friend headed in to the door to the dorms.

Kevin laughed as he put his arms around her and pulled her close to him, "I thought I'd come say hi to my favorite girl." Kevin leaned down to plant a kiss on her cheek.

Haley's cheeks burned red as she looked up at the older man, "Uh huh, does Ellery know you're here?" Haley played with the strings on Kevin's hoodie.

Kevin shook his head, "No, I'm here to see you, not Ellery. Plus, we're just friends. We've been split up since before the party." Kevin pointed out. "Besides, I told you, I want you all to myself and nobody else."

Haley chuckled, "According to you."

"So does this mean I'm not invited in?" Kevin was pouting like a puppy.

"I don't know if I can get you in Kevin.." Haley bit her lip and let her voice trail off as she looked in the glass front door at the young RA manning the check in desk. "They usually don't allow overnight visitors." She mused as she pulled away, "Hang on." She said.

Haley disappeared and then returned in about 5 minutes with some papers and a name tag. "Your name is Sven, you don't speak english, and you're here on a tour of the school for the next couple of days. Just smile and mutter something that sounds Norwegian and I think you'll be fine."

Kevin raised a brow and then rubbed his chest as Haley slapped a name tag on his chest, "Really, the best you could come up with was Sven?"

Haley nodded, "Trust me, he's a latin major with a first language of Spanish. He wouldn't know an eastern european language if it smacked him in the face."

"Neither would you." Kevin retorted with a laugh as she grabbed one of his three bags.

Haley scanned her keycard in to the dorm as she dragged in one of the heavy bags, "This is Rasmussen Hall. One of the few co-ed dorms on the campus." She said, slow but loud as she led Kevin in and headed for the elevator area just beyond the front desk. "It's a wonderful, fun dorm to live in and I have a great time here."

The man at the front proceeded to try to get Haley's attention, "Excuse me, Miss James, no Visitors past evening hours... You know the rules."

Haley turned from her overly loud conversation with Kevin and looked at the front desk attendant, "He's a prospective student." Haley waved the papers in her hand, a "new student" packet, faked but made to look terribly official. "Sven. He's visiting from Oslo, Norway and he's just occupying the empty third bed in our room for the short duration of his stay."

Kevin said something loud and uninteligible to either in a Norwegian accent. "Du er en dum faen for å tro dette."

The front desk attendant looked mildly surprised, then confused. The man simply shrugged in response, "Alright, but keep an eye on him— You know the troubles we've had with our international students."

Haley gave a nod as the elevator door opened and both walked inside, waiting patiently until the door closed before bursting out laughing. Haley leaned against Kevin as she laughed. Haley felt lucky, International students got a bit of a pass around the college because of the serious Melting pot that was New York. More commonly, the rule was "anything to attract international students" and, in this instance, had worked well to their advantage.

"I have to ask." Haley paused as the elevator door dinged, "What did you say to him?"

Kevin laughed as he followed Haley out of the elevator, "I called him a stupid fuck."

Haley snorted and shook her head as she led him down to her dorm, number 425. She stuck her key in the door and pushed it open as Kevin leaned down to whisper in her ear. She merely hoped her roommate had already left. Ironically, people were filtering out slowly after finals and Haley was hoping her roommate, who had finished yesterday was one of the few. Her roommate could be a complete stickler for the rules and Haley was genuinely hoping that this would be one of the few times things would work in her favor.

Over the next two days, Kevin and Haley spent a lot of time together. Well, as much as they could between Haley's finals, studying, and before Kevin resumed his trip to California. Haley didn't want him to leave but, she'd even been dogging Marge while Kevin was visiting, not that she didn't trust Marge.. She did. She just didn't trust Danny, and she didn't think that would be fair to Kevin.. or Jack.

Kevin came up behind Haley as she was bent over, trying to dry her hair and wrapped his arms around her, "You look so cute with your hair like that."

Haley laughed and paused to look up at Kevin, flipping her hair back as she looked at him, "You're so full of shit."

Kevin laughed and proceeded to bury his face in to her neck and he inhaled deeply, "No, I'm full of lust for you." He teased.

"Oh my god." The young woman rolled her eyes and pushed Kevin away, "Didn't you get enough this morning?" She asked as her phone alerted her to a text. "Grab my phone yeah?"

Kevin walked back to the bed, laughing, and grabbed her phone, pausing to read the message, 'Jack Mitrani: Yo, I'm gonna be in VT. You should come for a visit hot stuff, I miss you." Kevin's face fell a little as he handed her the phone.

"Thanks." Haley took the phone and stuffed it in her pocket, not even bothering to read the message from Jack. Instead she finished with her hair and moved on to finishing makeup.

"So," Kevin asked as he watched her, "Still talk to Jack?" He asked, his tone was different. It had changed, almost like.. Almost like he was jealous of Jack.

Haley was looking at Kevin through the mirror, "Occasionally." She said, watching the way the older behaved, "Does it bother you that we're friends?"

Kevin snorted, "Oh please, that kid couldn't be a friend with a girl if he tried." Kevin walked closer to Haley as she finished putting on her makeup in the mirror and turned to face him, "He's always got a different girl."

Haley rolled her eyes, "We are friends." Haley pointed out, "So? I'm not sleeping with him—"

"Yeah, not yet." Kevin paused, "But you will." Kevin said.

Haley rolled her eyes, "Fine, Kevin, just let me call Ellery first and tell her all about the barn and your side-trip here. I'm sure she'd be very intrigued." Haley threatened, reaching for her phone.

Kevin inched closer to her, his body pressed flat against hers and his hand moving town to rest on her forearm of the hand that was reaching for the phone. "You wouldn't." Kevin said with a smirk.

Haley's hand grasped around her phone as she drew it out of her pocket, "Your choice Kevin. I don't have anything to lose here." Haley said, "I'm just some girl you met at a house party."

Kevin put an arm around her and took her phone, setting it on the small table behind them, "That's dumb. I wouldn't be here if you were some girl at a house party. We both know that." Kevin was hoping to calm her down. "Look, I've only got another couple of hours before my flight leaves, why don't we make the most of it?"

Kevin brought his hand up and cupped Haley's cheek. Haley looked at Kevin, sad that he was leaving. She didn't want him to leave, she wished she could go to California and stay with him but they both knew, at this point, that was not an option. Haley wrapped her arms around Kevin's neck and just looked up at him. This was where she wanted to be, but was it where Kevin wanted to be?
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: The Phoenix by Fall Out Boy

Hope you like this. I initially had this split in two but combined them, hoping to move the story along a bit. I have a portion written, but I may skip adding it in and use for flashbacks, I haven't decided-- seems like right now that might (unfortunately) be the best choice.

Let me know what you think!