Sequel: Waking Up in Vegas

Northern Downpour

09

Haley headed in to the house, using the key her boss had given her. It was snowing and she was eager to get inside before she really had to drive anywhere. She was thankful for her boss letting her use the house. She marveled at it's size. It was far too big for her to use alone, but, here she was. As she stepped inside and set her bags down, she walked over to the kitchen and found a note on the counter, "Haley, here's your all access VIP badge. It gets you in to any event you want to when you're not working. Your work schedule with Mack is behind this. Don't work too hard, remember to have fun!—James."

Haley looked over her attached schedule and shrugged, she was working four nights, a couple of days off and a day or two. mostly nights on the weekends but there was a Sunday night that she had off, the very last night of the event. She nodded a little and looked around. Well.

Haley settled herself in to the house and then headed to the store to get some groceries and drinks. She didn't plan on anyone else but maybe her family coming and even then, that was a stretch. It was nearly a six-hour drive and that was if the roads were good and it wasn't snowing.

The next night, she worked her first day shift at the bar with Mac, getting acquainted with the staff, the layout and how things worked. It was almost a bit of a struggle for her, some of the girls weren't friendly but that quickly changed when they were rushed and Haley didn't even falter, not even a bit.

As the week progressed and more and more people flooded in to town, the bar kept getting more and more crowded on the night shifts. Haley was making big tips and the girls she was working with were warming up to her, by Friday it was like they were all a huge family and it was as if she'd been working with them for years.

Friday at the bar was the big "Burton" party. It was going to be huge, according to Mac, he said it would basically pay for everything. Haley was wearing a tank top, knowing that a busy party would not be comfortable in a tee. She was busy along with the rest of the girls, slinging drinks all night, not bothering to pay much attention.

A customer whistled at her, "Honey, can I get a beer?" The voice shouted at her over the music, even though she was hardly six feet away.

Haley hated when patrons pulled the nicknames and whistles, "You'll wait like everyone else, honey." Haley shot back condescendingly as she continued to mix and pour drinks on the bar.

The voice laughed as a patron in the front moved from the bar, "Don't you know who I am?" the voice inquired, causing Haley to look up briefly from the drinks she was pouring.

Haley was too busy to take a real hard look but she'd know that hair anywhere, it was Burton's golden, or rather, Ginger boy. "I don't care who you are, you wait your turn like we learned in Kindergarten. There are other people here besides you who were waiting here for drinks before you. Deal with it." Haley said before handing the drinks she was making off to the customers who ordered them from her.

Shaun chuckled as one of his buddies shook his head and was about to say something to her. Shaun stopped him, he liked that she didn't care who he was or that he was a famous athlete. She was treating him like a normal bar patron. "You're right, my bad." Shaun said, watching Haley serve other guests that had arrived before he had.

About ten minutes later Haley finally came back to Shaun, who's posse had disappeared, "Your turn Mr. Impatient." Haley said with a hint of a smile. She was familiar with Shaun but just because he was "Shaun White" didn't give him a free pass in her book.

"Ouch, that stings." Shaun said with a smile and a laugh, "You're not from around here are you?" Shaun asked, pretending to glance at the taps.

Haley rolled her eyes, "No. So either order or I'm skipping you and coming back." Haley said, at a stalemate with the older red-haired man.

Shaun put his hands up in defense, "A crown and coke, and your phone number."

Haley got to work on the drink, "Are you opening a tab?" She asked, doing her job but not responding to his request for her phone number.

Shaun nodded and pulled out his card, starting to hand it to Haley. As Haley reached for the card he simple pulled it back, "Only if I get your number."

Haley smirked, "Sure." She said, getting Shaun to relinquish the card to her, "In your dreams ginger boy." and with that Haley opened Shaun's tab in the computer, sliding his card and then she tossed it in a jar next to the register. Haley wasn't interested, frankly, in anyone. Although she could hear a voice echoing in her ear, exclaiming that she was crazy turning him down but, Haley knew that if Shaun really wanted her number, he'd work twice as hard at getting it.

Shaun was impressed, after all that, she still didn't cave. It was almost like a challenge now, a game, he wanted her number. She was feisty and good looking, and, well, she obviously didn't give a shit who he was. He was a normal guy.

To Haley, however, Shaun was just another jerk trying to hit on her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Stay Awake Dreams Only Last For A Night) by All Time Low

I wasn't sure about adding Shaun in, I'm still not a hundred percent sure where that's going, we'll see. Thanks for reading!