A Million Nights

This could be a dream.

"I can't believe he will take you to Japan."

"Oh Annie... I'm so fucking happy!!! It's not only because Johnny choose my favorite place in the world to the honeymoon but... I never thought I would be so happy with my own wedding."

"Johnny is everything to you, isn't he?"

"You can be sure of that. I cannot imagine my life without him anymore."

"I'm so glad for you two. How long you guys are going to stay there?"

"I don't know, Annie. Johnny told me we'll stay there how long I want."

"Maybe when you guys come back, don't come back just you two."

"Keep dreaming, Annie. Well, can you help me with the baggage? I still have to say goodbye to Rita and Veronica."

"You should call them to come here. I don't know if they are at home so call them to come to your new home."

"Shut up! I'm still getting used to the idea that Johnny's house is also mine."

“Come on, I don't want you to miss the plane because of me.”

Two days after the wedding. Tay was happier than ever. I can say the same of Johnny. Their eyes shone like diamonds, their smile couldn't reveal better the happiness they were feeling. This marriage was like a light at the end of the tunnel for all of us. It is as if the marriage of Tay and Johnny had erased all the bad things that happened over these months and we all felt it. It was an awakening to a new life. It was hope for all of us. After that, nothing could go wrong because with love, we got all we want.

Two hours later, I was seeing Tay and Johnny leaving to their Honeymoon. Everything happened so quickly. It seemed if I'm in a deep sleep and all this was just a dream. Seeing one of my best friends going on honeymoon, made me live all this story we have lived in Huntington Beach since the day Rita and I moved here. The day I met Brian at the beach, the day we find each other again and Rita met Zacky, the day Brian showed me one of the most important place for him where he spent so wonderful moments with Jimmy. The day I kissed Brian for the first time. The day Tay and Veronica moved here, the day we all become a just one. I can say that I was happier than ever. I have the best friends anyone could have; I have the best boyfriend ever, the best family ever and the job of my dreams.

Nothing of this seemed to be real but I felt so good, so happy, so realized… Tay married Johnny, Rita and Zacky were waiting a little baby, Veronica and Shadows bit by bit were falling in love with each other and, the last but not the least, Brian and I were living a love that I never thought I could have.
I closed the door and when I turned to go to the living room where everybody was but I was surprised by Brian waiting for me. He walked towards me, holding my hands.

“How are you, babygirl?”

“Very but really very happy. With all of you, I'm complete! You guys are the best what could happen in my life.”

“I thought I was the best what could happen in your life.”

“You are. Undoubtedly, you are. But, those girls are like sisters to me. Matt, Zacky and Johnny became also brothers to me. And you, Brian… I have no words to tell you how much you’re important to me; how much you essential in my life. You’re everything. Without you nothing was the same and you know that.”

“I don’t need words to know all that, Annie. You show me that every single day and for that reason I love you more day by day. I’m so glad to have you here with me.”

“Me too, Bri. And… about what I said in the wedding… I was being serious.”

“What did you say in the wedding? You said lots of things.”

“Come on, Brian. You know what I’m talking about… about… when I said I have to marry you first before Tay kills me.” – Brian’s smile disappeared for a few moments. He stared at me without reaction. I felt his hands tightening mine as if he had trying to understand if he was awake or just dreaming. I couldn't hide the smile that insisted on appearing on my face. All I wanted was to get married with Brian. We needed that. I felt Brian needed it to trust me 100% since he still felt doubts since the day I said I was not ready to marry him. I had no longer any doubts even I was still thinking it was too early for that but I learned with Tay's wedding that when we really and truly love somebody, the time is not a excuse.
Brian and I have already experienced many things, very bad and very good things, even we were just dating almost only one year. We were prepared for this. I was prepared. Brian didn't say a word. He grabbed my hands, pulled me to him and hugged me tightly, pulling my body against him with his hands on my back. – “I love you.”

“Promise me you’re talking seriously this time.”

“Promise, Bri. You know I’m sure about all this now.” – Brian pulled him a bit away from me, grabbing my hands. He looked at me, showing me a beautiful smile that made me smiled too.

“I have to propose you. I have to get a beautiful wedding ring. We have to decide where we’ll live. Oh God! We have to decide where will be the wedding and the honeymoon. And you have to choo-”

“Bri… Brian, please stop!” – I said leaning my fingers on his lips. It was so good to see Brian so excited and happy. I confess that I felt like it was numb. None of it seemed real. I was feeling like I was floating and it felt so good. I approached Brian, putting my hands around his neck and gave him a soft kiss on his lips. He glared at me expecting some more word coming of my mouth. – “I should do those questions, not you.”

“We could get married tomorrow! We enjoyed the fact that your family still be here and…”

“It would be perfect but we have lots of things to do before the wedding. First of all, I’m waiting for an exciting marriage proposal. Then, I have to choose a beautiful dress. Tay and Johnny have to be here. And we have to be attention about the financial affairs. I have money but…”

“Annie, please… that's what matters less now. I have enough money, at least, for five marriages.”

“I know that but you also know me. I won't live with your money. I don't want you to pay all the expenses and before all, I don't want you to be like a champion who thinks that can get everything with your money. You know I am a very independent woman.”

“Okay, okay… but I feel bad about having to share the cost with you, Annie.”

“You're barely used!”

“Yeah, you’re right! I love you so much, babygirl.”

Brian kissed me with an intensity I had never felt before. That kiss was enough to show me how much I loved him and how much he loved me. I just didn't want to be without him anymore. Brian put his arm around my waist and we went to the living room where Zacky, Rita, Matt and Veronica were. Zacky was, as always, stroking the belly of Rita which was already much bigger, by the way. Seeing us coming, they all started coughing and laughing as if they were making fun of us. When I was going to start a war of pillows, Rita stopped me and looked at me with a straight look and I realized she had something important to say. Brian and I dropped the pillows and we sat on the couch next Matt and Veronica. We were all quiet and serious waiting for some news that Zacky and Rita had to give us.

“Well, since we're all here, Zacky and I have something important to tell you guys, especially to you, Annie.”

“But there’s something wrong?”

“No, Annie. There’s everything okay but… I moved here with you in a very trying time in our lives. At the same time, we realize two dreams: to live together and start a new life in the United States. We always were sure it would be here that our lives would change. Here would be where we would realize our dreams and apparently we weren't wrong. You met Brian and thank you guys I met the man of my life, Zacky. You know how important you are to me, Annie. We shared so much; we lived so much good and bad moments together. You were present in all the big moments of my life. But I’m pregnant… you know one day this would happen.”

“You will live with Zacky, right?” - Tears already streaming down my face but a big smile came over it. Rita was my best friend. I lived with her things that I never lived with anyone else. It is with great happiness that I remember every moment with her. Even the moments of pain, with her beside me, nothing seemed to be so painful. But I knew this day would come. We had to live our lives. She was pregnant with Zacky. She could no longer make a living from nomadism. One day she was at our house, the other she went to Zacky's house. She had to make a choice and, of course, she had my full support. After all, any day now, I'd go also make my choice.

“I didn't want to take her from you, Annie. But she is mine too and she is expecting a baby. Rita needs reassurance. She hasn't too much of it with me, but ... you know.”

“I know, Zacky. I know. Come here guys!” – We got up of the couch and I hugged them with all my love from them. I was really happy from them. When I hugged Rita, I felt Kelly kicking Rita's belly. I felt so excited that I put on my knees and started talking to the baby. She was giving increasingly kicks which made us laugh. Rita had already packed, so as it was close to dinner time, we all enjoyed a dinner at my house to celebrate the love that united us all. But, as always, something bad was about to happen.

The next day, I would start the last two weeks of classes. This time I started the week in a completely different way. I woke up early, as usual, to shower and get ready. When I woke up, I noticed that Brian wasn't in bed. I thought it was odd because he rarely wakes up before me. I went to the bathroom to shower with hopes that he was there. But he wasn't. After the shower and to dress myself, I grabbed my books and my notes and went to the kitchen to make breakfast. Upon entering the kitchen, I stumbled upon Brian only with boxers and an apron dress preparing our breakfast.

“Good morning, babygirl!”

“Morning, sweetheart. What did you wake up earlier than me to prepare breakfast for us?”

“If I tell you I did this because I love you, are you satisfied?”

“Hmm… I could believe you but I know you… where you go after the breakfast?”

“You got me. But it doesn’t mean I don’t love you. I have to go to my dad’s house to see how’s Pinkly.”

“Why do not you bring her here?”

“Why do not you move into my house, huh?”

“We’ll talk about it later, Bri. Now, I want to enjoy this delicious breakfast with my boyfriend before I get late. It’ll start the stress of the kid's evaluations.”

“Do you have problems with them?”

“No. I don’t. Just a few fans of yours who hate me a lot.”

“Why? Just because you’re my girlfriend.”

“Just? It’s because I’m your girlfriend. They are impossible to put up with!”

“Kids!”

“No, Brian. They aren’t just kids. I understand their side. They have a platonic love and… I am the woman who sleeps every night with the love of their life.”

“You sleep with me and do many other things. Let me tell you that last night was one of the best nights of my life.”

“Wait until tonight! Now I have to go, Bri. Thank you for the breakfast. I love you.”

“I love you too, babygirl.” - I said goodbye to Brian with several kisses. He wouldn't let me go and was always asking for more and more. I picked up my things, got in the car and headed to school. Coming there, I went into the teachers’ room and see the Director Clayton coming in my direction. He informed me that my first class was canceled and to go quickly to the boardroom. Everything crossed my mind at that moment.
The Director Clayton was a very rigid man and we rarely saw him smile. I thought maybe he was going to fire me. I hadn't done anything wrong, my students loved me, with the exception of a number of students who loved Brian, but overall, no one had reason to complain of me, quite the contrary. Maybe he was firing me because I'm Portuguese. But no... It couldn't be happening because when he hired me, he apparently liked my professionalism. No, he couldn't fire me but something serious was happening.
When I was walking towards the boardroom, I found some colleagues waiting near the door of the room. I greeted them all and I approached my colleague Theresa asking her what would happen. Theresa is a sweet person. since the day I started to work in the Huntington Beach High School that she was the only one who help me with everything I need in and out the school. She was with a worried look so as the rest of the staff.

Nobody knew about what was about to happen. Everyone was silent until we started hearing footsteps. The echo of those steps came into my ears as if I had been torturing. All eyes were fixed on the corner of the hall where, at any time, the Director would appear. The sound of footsteps was increasing and Dr. Clayton was getting closer. Until he, finally, appeared. But he didn't come alone. I could not believe what my eyes were seeing. Alongside the Director Clayton, came Philip John Clapp, an ex boyfriend of mine. I had no idea what he was doing here, or why he was in the US. He always lived in Europe and I lived almost two years with him in Madrid, Spain. I broke up with him because he had a very relaxed way of life and it bored me a lot. He didn't care about anything or anyone.
The first year of dating, it was all very beautiful and perfect but then... work meetings until late, traveling here and there... He gave me no attention but however he never forgot the bouquet of flowers and candlelit dinners. Months later we broke up, we became friends until the day he started slandering me to his family.
I tried not to look further at him to try to make him not see me. Dr. Clayton opened the door of the meeting room, went along with Philip and then we all came into the room. I could not hide myself for long. He would eventually see me. I sat as far back as possible and Theresa joined me. She realized that something wasn't right with me.

"Annie, what's wrong? Why are you avoiding getting in the front rows?"

"That stupid that came with the Director is my ex-boyfriend."

"What??"

"That’s what you just heard. We could be friends if he screwed up everything. It's amazing how I cannot have a normal life without something bad and unexpected happens."

"Take it easy. Maybe he doesn't even remember you."

"Theresa, I lived two years with him. And it was not so long ago." - Theresa looked at me, showing a sad smile. Each time I looked at Philip I felt my stomach shivering like I was throwing up. I was so nervous and sad. I knew the next days would be easy whatever he was doing here. But something worst crossed my mind: Brian. How would I tell this to Brian? I started to sweat because of nerves and I felt my whole body shaking. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to control myself. I could not be dominated by it. Nothing made me believe that the presence of Philip John was something bad. Until the Director Clayton began to speak and every word coming out of his mouth and then entered my ears were like stabbing in my stomach.

“Good morning ladies and gentlemen. It is with great pleasure that I summoned you to this meeting. Beside me is the Professor Philip John Clapp who will have a very important role in the future of this school. As you know, I'm in the direction of this school for many years. I watched a lot and it is with great pride that I recall all my accomplishments in Huntington Beach High School. But now I'm feeling tired. Not to say that I am old but I need to rest and take care of my grandchildren. For this reason, Professor Clapp is here. He will be the new director of this school and I count on the support and professionalism of all of you to welcome the new director of this school.”

Everyone applauded. Everyone but Theresa and me. I was motionless. Theresa looked at me with a panic look as if she had put herself in my place. I could not believe that my new boss was my ex-boyfriend who, by the way, had a bad relationship with me. I saw my school days counted. I knew he was going to make me a living hell. it was now the turn of Philip's speech and I knew exactly how his speech would be: always fun with their stupid jokes and his heartthrob style. But nothing could be worse than what would happen next. I was the only teacher in the room that wasn't going to teach in next hour. Philip had already assumed the direction, ie, it was my new boss but I couldn't believe the words coming out of the mouth of the Director Clayton.

"I declare the meeting closed. It was a pleasure working with you all. Well, you're the new director and I have to go. You will have certainly the help of teacher Annie to show you the several problems in each class and to do a tour around the school. If you please, Miss Gonçalves."

"Sure."

All the teachers had left but me and Theresa. Philip still had not seen me and neither wouldn't even look at the person who would make him a guided tour of the various facilities of the school.

"You'll be okay?"

"Don’t worry. I'm sure he will not help but I'm stronger than he can do to me."

"Trust on it, Annie. Good luck when you get home. Hopefully Brian will understand."

"Knowing him as I do, it won't be easy. But thank you."

"Good luck with this jerk too."

Theresa and Director Clayton left the room and I approached Philip who was packing his things in his working folder. He felt closer, looked at me and smiled vaguely, looking again at the paperwork he had on the table. But it wasn't long until he looks at me again, realizing who was in front of him.

"Annie? But what a wonderful surprise!"

"It is true. Now you are a teacher, huh? I mean, the director."

"Yes, say yes. You know me. I never stop professionally."

"I see you do. Well, welcome."

"Thank you. Though I confess that this idea of being your boss is... weird isn't it?"

"Not at all. To me, you are a person equal to the others."

"It’s funny. Now I order you professionally. Some years ago, I ordered you in our bed." - I tried that my tone throughout the conversation was sarcastic. And I got it. But he had to get out of everything. I was a bundle of nerves, but I must confess what he said made me explode. I couldn't help and gave him a slap with all the strength I had. – “You're fired.”

“No. I quit.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Philip John Clapp is Johnny Knoxville (Jackass the Movie).