Status: Chapter titles are lyrics from the song "Anna Sun" by Walk the Moon. Give it a listen :)

Rave

Your Hands On My Cheeks, Your Shoulder In My Mouth

Titania woke up in Oscar’s arms, a soothing effect for her. The apartment they had shared long ago had not changed in the slightest bit, even though she had received a large amount of the furniture.

Red sheets kissed her skin with the surprising scent of detergent. Apparently, she had underestimated him once again. Titania grinned, kissing the peak of her ex’s forehead to wake him up. Though she was extremely tired, her squinted eyes picked up on a frame hanging on the opposite wall to the bed.

It wasn’t just any piece of wall art that Oscar had picked up from Costco or Target; Titania’s face blushed with affection as she broke free of his grip and raced to the picture nailed into the wall. Oscar groggily yawned, staring at Titania’s mostly nude body as her fingers brushed across the glass.

“You framed it?” Titania observed the haphazardly drawn portrait. In the corner was the actual picture of what Paulie tried to copy. “Doesn’t it bother you?” Titania bit her lip in attempts to refrain from the wide grin of joy she was teeming with.

“Oh, it’s one of my favorite memories with Paulie,” Oscar casually grumbled, “You went out of town and we had an adventure day…”

Titania chuckled, turning back around and diving onto the bed. She missed this so much. “You dressed up in my wedding dress and broke the zipper to cheer him up after he broke his arm,” she sat up beside him.

“And he told me that kings don’t wear dresses,” Oscar reminisced.

“… Beautiful queens do,” Titania beamed. There were so many questions that she wanted to ask, but one seemed to jump right from her throat, “When did we stop being us?”

Oscar bit his lip, supporting himself on his side with an arm. “You want to try it out again?” Oscar blushed; she could tell he was sincere as he could possibly be. She admired that, but she knew she could only take small doses.

Titania reminded herself it wouldn’t be easy, that this life didn’t come with an instruction manual. She’d still have moments where she’d want to slit Oscar’s throat. There’d still be times where she’d yell at him for no reason. It was only normal to experience faults in parenting, miscommunication, and periods of absolute disgust at Oscar.

Then there were going to be times like these.

“A day at a time,” she confidently declared.

Not only could Titania live with that, she chose to prosper in it.