Status: Chapter titles are lyrics from the song "Anna Sun" by Walk the Moon. Give it a listen :)

Rave

We Rattle This Scene

Heidi ran up the fire escape, the easiest way to reach the rooftop. The humidity of the pending night wrapped around her bare legs, reminding her that spring was receding and the summer was nearing. She wondered how it felt for Oliver every time he climbed the iron steps to see her. In general, she never really asked about Oliver’s feelings. Oliver never really talked about them anyways; he only talked about how things would be better in Phoenix.

When she reached the top, she refused to look over the edge to the street. She had fallen down an astounding two stories last night and was lifted by a crowd of party-goers to safety; Heidi wasn’t walking away from the event unscathed.

Oliver was sitting near the ledge, a bouquet of flowers beside him. “Hey there,” he enthusiastically spoke, trying to hide something in his voice.

“Oliver, really,” Heidi chuckled, “I appreciate the efforts, but my life isn’t a TV show we laugh at.”

He stood up and shook his head, advancing towards her with the thick bundle of flowers Heidi shied away from. “No, I wanted to give you something,” he removed a hand from behind his back and placed the feather in her tame hair. While she was caught off guard, he locked a delicate chain around her neck.

“It’s beautiful,” she grinned, examining the small, solitary diamond that hung from the silver chain. “Thank you so much,” Heidi blushed with gratitude, kissing his cheek.

“And of course the flowers…”

“I’m allergic,” Heidi giggled, pushing them away politely. Oliver’s concerns lit up his face as he dropped the bouquet to the ground, “Don’t worry,” Heidi reassured, embracing him tightly.

His hands rested on the low of her back as he kissed her in an urgent sense of brevity, though they had all the time in the world. “You ready?” Oliver questioned, their faces still touching.

Heidi took a step back, “Only if you are.”

And they left everything behind, starting with the roses and baby’s breath wrapped in the rustling floral paper that lay on the barren roof.